The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Europa League is a bag of shit

I'm not implying any prejudice (I.e. suggesting you are), but only watching it on the telly box is a bag of shit. As a competition it's dull.

But as a travelling fan, I highly recommend it. I've only actually managed one, and I've craived more ever since.

The magic of finding a base in a foreign pub amongst villa fans, and opposition fans a like (who from Hamburg were really great people) is really something I can tell you.

• Like 2

Can't we just win the cup and not bother with the Europey League?

Joking aren't ya?  I crave a little European tour again, and I know there are many thousands of other villa fans who will be right there with me too.

Last one was Hamburg, and it was a very special event.  One of the great outcomes for me in wining the cup would be us rewarded with some european football.

I also think it would be good for some of our fringe players, extra games where you can field some of the youngsters and stuff in the early rounds of competition.

Yeah, I can see the appeal of having heaps more Villa games to watch, and I guess it's pretty good for people with the time, money and inclination to travel around Europe supporting the team. Also good for the young players who would get more games.

Overall though, for me, it isn't worth the inevitable decline in Premier League performance, especially since we might be in relegation danger again next year. The Young Players argument also doesn't wash: Remember the shit MON got for the team he sent out in Moscow? There's always going to be pressure on the manager to put his best team out in every match, and that is asking for trouble imo.

Ahh Moscow, I think I made a lucky escape there, because I really nearly went - just a few of us were put off by how difficult it was going to be.  I was still up for it, but the other guys couldn't get down to london for the visa - or something like that?  Anyway it was all called off, I would have had to go on my own which I certainly didn't fancy.

But on Tim, if he continues to progress and converts the optimism of the last two matches into more wins are we to assume that Tom Fox knew something we didn't all along?  I still maintain that this appointment was pre-planned, and that there really wasn't time for interviewing candidates - will he be credited with a shrewd move or just a lucky pluck.  Of course, we have a long way to go yet to see if Tim is the real deal or just 2 games of fluke - I would love it keagan style obviously if he was the real deal :)

Â