The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Could be a decoy too. I like his arrogance. If the players feed off it then it's great

The problem is when the players think he's full of it is where it could backfire. Our players lack self belief. He could be perfect for our lot.

• Like 1

I'm struggling to find much evidence of arrogance in what he has said.

He's pretty positive about things and I can understand that Villa fans are no longer used to that after the long, grim grind of the Houllier/McLeish/Lambert years, but I think it's a refreshing change.

Interesting to see what Mr Vlaar has to say about things:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11426203/Tom-Cleverley-and-Ashley-Westwood-axed-as-Tim-Sherwood-stamps-his-mark-on-Aston-Villa.html

Since the new manager has come in the energy level of the squad is higher, for obvious reasons; everybody has a new chance.

“Everybody feels like they can get into the team if they do well in training and that has been really good. Every manager wants things done in a different way so we have been learning this week how the manager wants things done.

“Sometimes new things are good for the mind, it brings some freshness and it can help the mentality of the players.

“When a new manager comes in and makes changes you need to learn what he wants you to do so communication is a big part of that. He talks a lot and tells us what we should be doing.

Now there is a thinly veiled condemnation of the Lambert years if ever there was one!

• Like 1

he didnt even say he was the new guardiola thats the worst article i have read with nothing like the title suggests

Agreed, very sloppy journalism. He just mentioned a famous example of the phenomenon he was talking about, and then the claim is that he thinks he's the new version of that person. We hear a lot about 'Sherwood's mates in the media' and I can see that he is obviously very good friends with Shearer, for example, but it mainly seems as if the print media regard him as a joke and can't wait to tear him down. 

• Like 1

Yes the "mates in the media" doesn't seem to extend to the mirror does it? The poll at the bottom of the Guardiola article is "Will Tim Sherwood be the next Guardiola? No, or HaHaHa, No". Which while being amusing isn't something a freind in the media would be doing after your first press conference.

• Like 1

I'm struggling to find much evidence of arrogance in what he has said.

He's pretty positive about things and I can understand that Villa fans are no longer used to that after the long, grim grind of the Houllier/McLeish/Lambert years, but I think it's a refreshing change.

Interesting to see what Mr Vlaar has to say about things:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11426203/Tom-Cleverley-and-Ashley-Westwood-axed-as-Tim-Sherwood-stamps-his-mark-on-Aston-Villa.html

Since the new manager has come in the energy level of the squad is higher, for obvious reasons; everybody has a new chance.

“Everybody feels like they can get into the team if they do well in training and that has been really good. Every manager wants things done in a different way so we have been learning this week how the manager wants things done.

“Sometimes new things are good for the mind, it brings some freshness and it can help the mentality of the players.

“When a new manager comes in and makes changes you need to learn what he wants you to do so communication is a big part of that. He talks a lot and tells us what we should be doing.

Now there is a thinly veiled condemnation of the Lambert years if ever there was one!

Particularly the part where he mentions "He talks a lot and tells us what we should be doing".

You know, he really didn't say anything wrong in that article. What he said about his win stats being up there to be shot down is true. What he said about Kane was true. What he said about Guardiola not going to manage at lower levels is true. With that comment he was simply saying that Guardiola didn't have to gain experience before managing at the highest level, after working with the youth set up. Which is true. He was just using it as an example to defend the fact he hasn't got much managerial experience.

Having said that, there will be a lot of people, that don't like arrogance, who will be waiting to bring him down to earth. So, all he's done is speak the truth - openly - and put a lot of pressure on himself to succeed.

It's not my way of going about things but then again, I've not achieved what he's achieved in his life! At least by him being so bullish it takes all the focus off the players and maybe that's what he sets out to do in order to allow them to feel no pressure?

I honestly believe apart from the top maybe 7 teams the rest of the league are very close in terms of quality. The difference comes down to injuries, luck, tactics and confidence. Nothing can be done about injuries but if Sherwood can improve the confidence and tactics a bit of luck will also follow. Confidence is a massive factor in all sports. It's what made our team under MON nearly break the top 4. If even 10% of Sherwoods confidence can spill over to the players we will be fine.

"It's all about man management" - just what we need. Get the best out of the guys we have. Lambert summoned a decent group of players, credit to him for that. Now it's Tim's job to do what he talks. I believe he will.

So glad we have Sherwood here, there was nothing wrong with that article the headline is misleading. Also the Vlaar comments are interesting, I wonder if Lambert was liked that much by all the players?

Wonder what Tim will do regarding today's team and formations!! Will it be Gil playing on the right and Sinclair on the left! With Delph, Sanchez in the middle in 4-4-2.

Or will Tim go for something like this?

a 4-2-3-1 with the following midfield and striker

Sanchez   Delph 
Bacuna Gil Sinclair
       Benteke

Will seem a shame if Bacuna is dropped after his goal against Leicester! But gives us options..

Edited by Villan4Life

Dislike the leaking to the press of squads if that is what's happened... Also not sure I agree with the decision of it is what's happened, though that doesn't really matter it's his call.

Really excited about the Stoke game, can't wait to see Sherwood in charge. It's strange, as I think I was/am as skeptical as most, but why shouldn't I let myself be excited about my team? UTV.

Think a lot of people have been sceptical!! But the fans that was about Tim's appointment seem to be very excited just like the one's who wanted Tim as their first choice..

He wasn't my first choice but that passion he shown against Leicester when we scored and the way we played in 2nd Half has made a lot of people excited to see what he can deliver to our beloved Villa :)

So glad we have Sherwood here, there was nothing wrong with that article the headline is misleading. Also the Vlaar comments are interesting, I wonder if Lambert was liked that much by all the players?

I don't think he was disliked, I still can't figure out why anyone would dislike him. But I imagine they were not exactly enthused. He lost his "bad cop" and never replaced him. There was nobody there geeing them up and that transfered into the pitch.

I've said it before but it's worth repeating - Sherwood is the anti-Lambert. He's arrogant, brash, demanding, egotistical. They will know exactly what he expects from them, for better or worse.

Thankfully he has bought in a good cop too!

Dislike the leaking to the press of squads if that is what's happened... Also not sure I agree with the decision of it is what's happened, though that doesn't really matter it's his call.

You might need to give us more info buddy!

"Leaking" happens at EVERY club, keeping journalists onside by giving them little tit bits is a part of the managers remit I'm afraid. I take it you don't remember Hairy hands either?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I still can't figure out why anyone would dislike him.

Really? :unsure:

Â