The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I once had to wish someone happy Christmas despite being an atheist after an evil genius wished me one. True story.

The evil swine ... For future reference I believe Bah humbug is also an acceptable response to this greeting without offending 

• Like 1

There we go - Lord Carlile (the bloke who used to be the 'independent' reviewer of anti-terrorism legislation - snigger) is on the news arguing that, in the light of what happened in Paris, we must 'rush through' the investigatory powers bill, that we can 'get it through parliament in a month' and don't need to bother with taking time to contemplate the bill.

Dick.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think there are/have always been a fair few Hindu, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, &c. bad eggs.

I'm  guessing the original poster hasn't heard of people like Ashin Wirathu , Bodu Bala Sena or even the KKK

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Question is will any of the Security Council veto a resolution to sent troops into Syria? Turkey said only Wednesday last week that they would send troops in if it was backed by the UN. 

If Russia have been attacked and France twice. US and UK are onboard. China will not stand in the way. The only way to resolve this is to impose UN backed border controls to stop the ease of access to Syria to and from Europe. While a comprehensive assault would be swift to drive IS underground in their base in the region. 

15 minutes ago, snowychap said:

There we go - Lord Carlile (the bloke who used to be the 'independent' reviewer of anti-terrorism legislation - snigger) is on the news arguing that, in the light of what happened in Paris, we must 'rush through' the investigatory powers bill, that we can 'get it through parliament in a month' and don't need to bother with taking time to contemplate the bill.

Dick.

We won't mention cuts to police budgets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arj Guy said:

I think that anyone who genuinely believes that attacks like these have nothing to do with islam and are just down to a few bad eggs is incredibly naive. If that were the case, then why aren't there a few bad Hindu eggs killing large amounts of innocent people on a regular basis going back decades and decades? Or Christian or Sikh ect.... Islam is a violent and backward religion whose followers  impose it's beliefs on others like no other religion. 

Christianity, Judiasm and Islam were all born from the same stories and beliefs. In very broad terms they are all different interpretations of the same religion.

http://www.islamicity.org/4654/how-is-islam-similar-to-christianity-and-judaism/

Denouncing Islam for the violence of a sick groups interpretation of the Qur'an is as appropriate as attributing responsibility to all the Abrahamic religions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Question is will any of the Security Council veto a resolution to sent troops into Syria? Turkey said only Wednesday last week that they would send troops in if it was backed by the UN. 

If Russia have been attacked and France twice. US and UK are onboard. China will not stand in the way. The only way to resolve this is to impose UN backed border controls to stop the ease of access to Syria to and from Europe. While a comprehensive assault would be swift to drive IS underground in their base in the region. 

A resolution to what end because it's not just about sending troops in to Syria, is it?

A 'comprehensive assault' against IS forces? Wouldn't that mean a UN resolution to fight alongside Syrian government forces (at least implicitly) thus shoring up the Assad government? If the UK, US and France were to support such a resolution then I'd be rather surprised.

Edited by snowychap

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

It's long so I'll just post the first paragraph.

What is the Islamic State?

Where did it come from, and what are its intentions? The simplicity of these questions can be deceiving, and few Western leaders seem to know the answers. In December, The New York Times published confidential comments by Major General Michael K. Nagata, the Special Operations commander for the United States in the Middle East, admitting that he had hardly begun figuring out the Islamic State’s appeal. “We have not defeated the idea,” he said. “We do not even understand the idea.” In the past year, President Obama has referred to the Islamic State, variously, as “not Islamic” and as al-Qaeda’s “jayvee team,” statements that reflected confusion about the group, and may have contributed to significant strategic errors.

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Dick.

I wondered when we would start hearing this line trotted out ... Surprised it took them this long 

• Like 1

A resolution to what end because it's not just about sending troops in to Syria, is it?

A 'comprehensive assault' against IS forces? Wouldn't that mean a UN resolution to fight alongside Syrian government forces (at least implicitly) thus shoring up the Assad government? If the UK, US and France were to support such a resolution then I'd be rather surprised.

I can't imagine it'll involve Syrian forces. It would set out an agreed line with which UN troops will operate, specifically in the Eastern Syria. Syrian forces just need to set up a defensive line, possibly supported by Russian air forces. The Zone of operation is all hat needs agreeing.

I think there are/have always been a fair few Hindu, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, &c. bad eggs.

There have always been bad eggs. Their affiliation to religion is for their own convenience. They use religion as a tool.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I can't imagine it'll involve Syrian forces. It would set out an agreed line with which UN troops will operate, specifically in the Eastern Syria. Syrian forces just need to set up a defensive line, possibly supported by Russian air forces. The Zone of operation is all hat needs agreeing.

I'm not sure how practical that would be or whether the Russians would support that and if it involves Syrian (government) forces setting up a defensive line then it would, in effect, be a shoring up of the Assad government, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure what that would say to those groups whom we (the US/UK) are supposedly supporting or to those who have been displaced/threatened/ill treated by Assad.

Just now, Ikantcpell said:

How many isis fighters are in Europe right now, ready to do something similar? it could be thousands.

Angela Merkel and her kind can **** right off, spineless cowards the lot of them.

and it might be zero. They probably don't have lots of spare "fighters" seeing as they are fighting a war at home. There are lots of indoctrinated locals who can act in their name around the rest of the world.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

How many isis fighters are in Europe right now, ready to do something similar? it could be thousands.

Angela Merkel and her kind can **** right off, spineless cowards the lot of them.

It's very difficult to know these things. What we apparently know is that a couple of the attackers came over from Syria as 'refugees', were they actually apart of ISIS? Or were they just Syrian's motivated to commit acts of violence in Europe, but not necessarily having being apart of ISIS or trained by them. I guess we will find out. 

But I think it's fair to say that a number of people will have posed as refugees in order to get into Europe, and plan to attack various cities/citizens in Europe. This was obviously something some pointed out during the crisis.. Those of us who were concerned about security risk do not look so stupid now. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

11 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm not sure how practical that would be or whether the Russians would support that and if it involves Syrian (government) forces setting up a defensive line then it would, in effect, be a shoring up of the Assad government, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure what that would say to those groups whom we (the US/UK) are supposedly supporting or to those who have been displaced/threatened/ill treated by Assad.

There is no perfect solution, but simply put Assad government doesn't plan attacks on European Cities, or Russian Airliners. It may be unpalatable but UN involvement has to happen, at least with UN troops in Syria if / when IS are defeated and driven underground it gives leaverage in how the future for Syria looks. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Arj Guy said:

I think that anyone who genuinely believes that attacks like these have nothing to do with islam and are just down to a few bad eggs is incredibly naive. If that were the case, then why aren't there a few bad Hindu eggs killing large amounts of innocent people on a regular basis going back decades and decades? Or Christian or Sikh ect.... Islam is a violent and backward religion whose followers  impose it's beliefs on others like no other religion. 

wah wah wah. as limpid said, its just **** up people doing mental gymnastics to justify their means. I can claim to be a vegetarian, but if i meat every day its pretty obvious that im not, just in the same sense that these people claim to be muslim, exactly in the same way that Breivik claimed to be christian.

Edited by tomaspg
wah wah wah = personal shit that i wish i hadnt posted

3 hours ago, limpid said:

and it might be zero. They probably don't have lots of spare "fighters" seeing as they are fighting a war at home. There are lots of indoctrinated locals who can act in their name around the rest of the world.

And those indoctrinated locals shoud be shipped back to the middle east, or wichever shit country they are coming from.

Â