The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

I have loads of Poles on my Facebook timeline and some of the shite I've seen posted by people who I'm friends with from work etc has shocked me.

Really horrible stuff.

Poland haven't even have anything happen to them. And the right just won the election.

Fun times ahead.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Also

I don't think anyone, at least in this thread, are blaming genuine refugees for this act. But it can't be denied that it was widely reported and even stated by some groups themselves that the mass of movement would be used to smuggle in extremists, let's just hope the attackers didn't get in this way or I can see things getting very ugly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, momo said:

Generalizing billions of people to make a point that religion is the cause of terror? You couldn't be more wrong. ISIS was created on the background of colonialism, occupation, illegal war, bombings, killings, torture, poorness. People killed because they happen to be Muslims in predominantly Muslim countries. A hell of a lot more Muslims die because of western countries invasions, but you seem to ignore that. Do Muslim lives matter less to you?

I agree that instead of responding just with rage, we (as people living in "western" countries) should ask "why"?

And a very big part of the answer to that question must ultimately be injustices stemming from the Iraq war and George W Bush's disastrous presidency. It's not difficult to arrive at an estimate of around a million people dead as a result, if you include Syria. Take away the bronze-age sky fairy worship and there are legitimate grievances underneath. Injustice begets violence more than religion alone.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I have loads of Poles on my Facebook timeline and some of the shite I've seen posted by people who I'm friends with from work etc has shocked me.

Really horrible stuff.

Poland haven't even have anything happen to them. And the right just won the election.

Fun times ahead.

To be far mate, anyone who doesn't agree with you, seems to shock you into disrespecting their personal opinion.

Most of us agree our opinions are not fact, but you need to wake up, neither are yours.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Really horrible stuff.

Fun times ahead.

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

0.003% of 1.6 billion is 48,000 mate.

I see what I did there, maths was never my strong point especially without the aid of a calculator. I thought my number seemed spectacularly large! I was sat here thinking there not that bloody popular are they. I scared myself for a few minutes there Mark thank you :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

To be far mate, anyone who doesn't agree with you, seems to shock you into disrespecting their personal opinion.

Most of us agree our opinions are not fact, but you need to wake up, neither are yours.

This picture is being set as people's profile picture (very public) who I work with and get on with. I'm shocked at them because I didn't know they held such views. Not because they have a different opinion to me.

11209522_773925756051382_312415540624023

With respect, that's total nonsense and you know it is.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I fear things will start to get ugly for Muslims in Europe, especially in countries that lean towards the right. Which sadly plays perfectly into the hands of groups like ISIS.

Your right that is the last thing that needs to happen.It is almost inevitable though that friction within communities will now increase and this then acts as a catalyst for extremism. It is known that the more alienated Muslims are within Western society, the easier they become recruitment targets for groups such as ISIS. These groups can play on the narrative of "they do not want you here and you don't fit in".

There will be those that will now use these acts to reinforce prejudice and hatred towards Muslims totally oblivious to the fact that this is what groups such as ISIS want.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

The world has always been full of people who will kill others by bomb,shots whatever in the name of Religion or other issues.

I think the issue now which started with the 9/11 suicides is they will willingly end their life to maim hundreds. Now with ISIS the killings are become even more barbaric, storming mass public places and just shooting people from the word go. Some other hostage situations from the past, you could at least negotiate with the hostages and eventually get most of the crowd out safely. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Really horrible stuff.

Fun times ahead.

really OT, i could be horribly wrong here...but isnt it usually communities which dont have many immigrants living there who vote for the right? I think i remember reading the support of one of the furthest right movements in germany and the majority support was from a city with little immigrants and the cities with high levels of immigrants supported the movement very little.

Ive always been confused by my parents (unfortunate) views of 'were being taken over' when i dont think ive seen a single muslim in my town all my life. (maybe 2 guys in kebab shop lol, no idea if theyre muslim though)

Edited by gharperr

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This picture is being set as people's profile picture (very public) who I work with and get on with. I'm shocked at them because I didn't know they held such views. Not because they have a different opinion to me.

11209522_773925756051382_312415540624023

With respect, that's total nonsense and you know it is.

smh

I do find it quite annoying how all media outlets are describing Eagles Of Death Metal as a "heavy metal band".  They really aren't a heavy metal band at all.  I know it's a minor point but it's doing my head in.  

Hardly an outrageous assumption, given the name. Genre nerdism FTL.

• Like 2

Sad irony. We've had this print lying around for about a year. For some reason we decided to put it up on the wall yesterday - a few hours BEFORE last night's horror in Paris. Vive La France.

eab656242ec6dcf1ff9a23f3ab2768dd.jpg

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I fear things will start to get ugly for Muslims in Europe, especially in countries that lean towards the right. Which sadly plays perfectly into the hands of groups like ISIS.

I don't know that it will just get ugly for muslims.

As the point has already been made in the thread, Marine Le Pen has been doing very nicely in polls recently (especially in certain areas) and Sarko is very much back on the radar and is saying this, in the wake of last night's murders:

Our foreign policy must reflect the fact that we are at war. Our internal security policy as well.

As is usual, events will also be used to justify more security measures in other western countries and we'll continue to enact policies in defence of our 'way of life' and our liberal values that run fundamentally contrary to those things which we (or our governments) claim to be protecting.

• Like 1

I keep my political views (amongst other things) to myself and it will remain that way. I will however say it is very sad to see people, innocent people lose their lives. Can only hope Paris as a country come out of this stronger. Paris is a wonderful city, such a shame. 

• Like 1

The words of La Marseillaise are a bit chilling in the current climate. English translation: 

Arise children of the fatherland
The day of glory has arrived
Against us tyranny's
Bloody standard is raised
Listen to the sound in the fields
The howling of these fearsome soldiers
They are coming into our midst
To cut the throats of your sons and consorts

To arms citizens Form your battalions
March, march
Let impure blood
Water our furrows