The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

"It" is an obviously problem and there will seemingly be more attacks in Europe and most likely in this country (London). The question is what to do about it? I've always advocated a non-interventionist stance on foreign policy but so much damage has been done by intervening that 'scaling back' isn't actually going to stop any attacks and anti-west sentiment over the short-medium term. 

That said, it's hardly desirable to allow a large group of fascists like IS run amok in the Middle East and preventing that does require Western intervention as that region is totally incapable of sorting it out for themselves. 

So you don't think they are getting into the EU doing the same. People need to understand, its not really the issue of refugees coming here to escape persecution, thats not the problem. The problem is who the f*** are we letting in.  A few manage to accidently lose there passports, an its no big secret (though this won't be reported as fact in the media) that terrorist acts have increased, since they have been free to walk into parts of the EU.

I liked @LxYoungAVFC long post, because he explained why he posted earlier what he did. And although it's only a relatively small sample, it's the sort of information that is needed to be heard (along with other examples whatever they might illustrate).

It also seems credible that people fleeing the horrors of wars are not the only people taking much the same route to Europe. There are signs of demographic imbalance in the make up of the incomers - by that I mean there do seem to be disproportionately high numbers of young unaccompanied men, which seems to indicate that simply fleeing war might not be the sole  reason for people coming - that seeking work, or money (if only to send back to their poor families) might also be a motive. The absolutely vast numbers of people turning up does present a problem. The very different nature of religions and cultures will also create problems.
I think that wanting to help people who genuinely need help is not incompatible with a desire to keep terrorists, radicals, economic migrants, people smugglers and other criminals away.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

I liked @LxYoungAVFC long post, because he explained why he posted earlier what he did. And although it's only a relatively small sample, it's the sort of information that is needed to be heard (along with other examples whatever they might illustrate).

Is it really? All it does is illustrate that some people are hardworking and some people aren't and yet the conclusion meant to be drawn from it is radically different no pun intended.

Edited by Keyblade

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Do people really think the major Western governments don't want this in any way?  Do you really think they don't benefit from the climate of fear this generates, and the resulting ease with which they can pass any amount of legislation curtailing liberties going forward?  Not to mention further profit from the need for weapons in the unsettled areas?  Areas which they themselves unsettled either directly by invading or indirectly be selling to those in power in order to massacre their own (Syria) or those they wished to see unseat those in power (Al Qaeda etc).  The West has caused this, nay engineered this.  They are now benefitting financially and legislatively from it.  It is the perfect storm for governments even if they will obviously shed crocodile tears and 'do what they can' once the horse has bolted.  Wake TFU and think of the bigger picture here peeps.

My enemy's enemy is my friend.  They're already at it again.  They're back selling directly to those responsible for 9/11.  You couldn't make it up, unless you were responsible for it, in which case you could, and have.

Not often I disagree big guy, but I do on this.

(Unless it's sarcasm, I think I can see hints of sarcasm).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

As this has turned into yet another immigration/refugee debate haven't all attacks on European soil been committed by radicalised native citizens so far?

sshhh... new powers needed because Terrorism and think of the children, you heartless so and so!

No, not sarcasm at all @lapal_fan.  I just think there's a much much bigger separation between the will of Western people and the will of those in power over those people as to what each wants in the world.  Stability doesn't suit everyone.  Peace doesn't suit everyone.  I know it might appear that way and it should appear that way but we're a nasty species at heart and there will never be peace once ambition exists, because there'll always be someone who wants more and isn't happy with their lot.

And I tried (and failed) to hide that post before someone bothered responding to it, because I didn't want the long inevitable conversation that would follow :)  That and the fact I think I've made that point before.   Possibly in this thread (I know because Blandy responded the last time).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Is it really? All it does is illustrate that some people are hardworking and some people aren't and yet the conclusion meant to be drawn from it is radically different no pun intended.

I take it as the first hand experience of someone who was in a role directly trying to help these people, reporting that there were quite big problems with the behaviour and attitude of some of those he tried to help and that as a consequence his own views had changed or been affected. Yes there will be other people who report differently, but I kind of came across this thread and there were people (I would have been tempted to do the same) piling in on him because his views, formed at least in part through experience trying to help refugees, didn't match what we think they should. I don't necessarily agree with him , but at least he's explained and I understand why he''s saying what he's saying.  That's a good way of discussing something, so I liked his post.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

No, not sarcasm at all @lapal_fan.  I just think there's a much much bigger separation between the will of Western people and the will of those in power over those people as to what each wants in the world.  Stability doesn't suit everyone.  Peace doesn't suit everyone.  I know it might appear that way and it should appear that way but we're a nasty species at heart and there will never be peace once ambition exists, because there'll always be someone who wants more and isn't happy with their lot.

Thanks for clarifying.

You see, I don't see it that skeptically.  Maybe I'm a bit young and naive, and obviously the more years I spend on this little blue marble flying through space, the more skeptical I become.

However, I don't think that governments are that smart.  You're implying that the Western Gov's have been playing the long game, whereas I think all Governments play the "oh shit, an election in 18 months, let's do something quick!".  I think the results of the actions of past Governments leading all the way up to NOW, have led to the very shitty situations that are occurring in the Middle East.  What we have now is the fallout of those legitimate/phony wars.  I believe.

And I believe that THAT is the problem.  Short-termism.  Short term gains often leave the long term results wanting. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I take it as the first hand experience of someone who was in a role directly trying to help these people, reporting that there were quite big problems with the behaviour and attitude of some of those he tried to help and that as a consequence his own views had changed or been affected. Yes there will be other people who report differently, but I kind of came across this thread and there were people (I would have been tempted to do the same) piling in on him because his views, formed at least in part through experience trying to help refugees, didn't match what we think they should. I don't necessarily agree with him , but at least he's explained and I understand why he''s saying what he's saying.  That's a good way of discussing something, so I liked his post.

People were piling on him because he likened them to swarms and stated they should be fighting in a war torn country instead of having the audacity to seek refuge elsewhere, not because he was simply stating his opinion. 

And this was based on what, an experience at a refugee shelter? If you gathered 40 white homeless people you'll most likely have some behavior and attitude problems as well. Should we start generalizing white people too based on the behavior of a few of their most downtrodden? Maybe we should ship them off too perhaps? I wonder what kind of parasite or pest I should compare them to without coming across as bigoted.

It's utterly ridiculous and borderline racist. As if to imply that it's some inherent cultural or religious flaw which makes them behave that way and not extreme circumstance coupled with personal character flaws. I mean it's nice to know the heroic origin story behind why he thinks we're about to be swarmed by locus...I mean brown peo...I mean refugees, and I appreciate that he took the time to retell it in detail but you'll have to forgive me for thinking it adds nothing to the discussion but ignorance.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

People were piling on him because he likened them to swarms and stated they should be fighting in a war torn country instead of having the audacity to seek refuge elsewhere, not because he was simply stating his opinion. 

And this was based on what, an experience at a refugee shelter? If you gathered 40 white homeless people you'll most likely have some behavior and attitude problems as well. Should we start generalizing white people too based on the behavior of a few of their most downtrodden? Maybe we should ship them off too perhaps? I wonder what kind of parasite or pest I should compare them to without coming across as bigoted.

It's utterly ridiculous and borderline racist. As if to imply that it's some inherent cultural or religious flaw which makes them behave that way and not extreme circumstance coupled with personal character flaws. I mean it's nice to know the heroic origin story behind why he thinks we're about to be swarmed by locus...I mean brown peo...I mean refugees, and I appreciate that he took the time to retell it in detail but you'll have to forgive me for thinking it adds nothing to the discussion but ignorance.

Listen, you sort the darkies out, and I'll sort the whitey's out ok? :P:)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Oh, I completely agree with you about taking any group of people and finding some bad ones amongst them. I also agree that the whole "swarms" and "rats" stuff is lamentable and lazy. Like I said I was sort of tempted to pile in as well.

To be honest various posters on here sometimes post similar views to his, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone say why, before. I don't agree with them and have often said so (and tried to say why). I'd like more people to say "why" .

• Like 2

Just now, blandy said:

Oh, I completely agree with you about taking any group of people and finding some bad ones amongst them. I also agree that the whole "swarms" and "rats" stuff is lamentable and lazy. Like I said I was sort of tempted to pile in as well.

To be honest various posters on here sometimes post similar views to his, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone say why, before. I don't agree with them and have often said so (and tried to say why). I'd like more people to say "why" .

Gotcha, I see where you're coming from. Maybe it was an insightful post after all :D 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, blandy said:

It also seems credible that people fleeing the horrors of wars are not the only people taking much the same route to Europe. There are signs of demographic imbalance in the make up of the incomers - by that I mean there do seem to be disproportionately high numbers of young unaccompanied men, which seems to indicate that simply fleeing war might not be the sole  reason for people coming - that seeking work, or money (if only to send back to their poor families) might also be a motive. The absolutely vast numbers of people turning up does present a problem. The very different nature of religions and cultures will also create problems.
I think that wanting to help people who genuinely need help is not incompatible with a desire to keep terrorists, radicals, economic migrants, people smugglers and other criminals away.

it was the nature of the first few posts that prompted the pile on.

Ignore, just seen your response!

Edited by a m ole

im not surprised anymore and its impossible to stop these attacks. warped version of islam strikes again, france and belgium among other countries are full of this bastard ideology. more attacks will come which we all know and europe will carry on breeding and feeding these horrible clearings in the woods. immigration will come into it and is it any surprise. anyway nothing will change,well it will because its just going to get worse as anyone with half a brain cell knows. feel sorry for decent muslims and decent folk who are dying. the left will blame this on everyone else apart from the evil clearings in the woods that are acting on gods word.

ALLAH AKBUR!  **** brain dead mongs.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

the left will blame this on everyone else apart from the evil clearings in the woods that are acting on gods word

Bet you the left doesn't, Ruge. Some of them might, but like wit the discussion above, you can't/shouldn't take some group (Islamics, Lefties) and tar them all with the same brush because a few do or say a bad thing.

Most people, of whatever religions/political outlook/creed will condemn completely the murderous people who did this.

Â