The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

6 minutes ago, choffer said:

Again, too early to tell if it's "terror" but reports of Capitol Hill/Whitehouse being on lock-down because of a shooting this morning.

Depends. It could be considered terrorism, dependant on what actually happened. But the bloke that did it is a 66 year old pastor from Tennessee who had a history of disrupting Congress. Seems he flipped.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Depends. It could be considered terrorism, dependant on what actually happened. But the bloke that did it is a 66 year old pastor from Tennessee who had a history of disrupting Congress. Seems he flipped.

Ah, it's older news than I was initially led to believe. Thanks for the heads-up.

As it's in the US, I'm sure they'll be able to use it as a reason to strengthen their anti-terror laws.

19 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Don't push your agenda about prisoners on to me, thanks. There's a decent point to be made about prisons. But again, do some basic research. There are over 84,000 people in UK prisons at present. less than 13,000 of them identify as muslim. It's a big and disproportionate number, but it ain't 40%, it's not even 20%, it's about 15%. Too high. 

Just out of interest, why are you concerned about 'pushing' this? Do you doubt it or feel that the stats are skewed ?

10 minutes ago, veloman said:

Just out of interest, why are you concerned about 'pushing' this? Do you doubt it or feel that the stats are skewed ?

What?

He was only responding that the stats that ROTTERDAM posted (40% of prisoners in UK jails are Muslim) are wrong. He used the word 'push' as ROTTERDAM brought up prisons and prisoners.

Unless there's another point you're making that I've missed.

Edited by StefanAVFC

25 minutes ago, veloman said:

I was feeling irritable.

The figure quoted was wrong, 40% of all prisoners are not muslim. That's not true and it can be easily proven it's not true. But it's a 'fact' I've seen and heard many people using and there is a risk it is becoming accepted as true. Somebody somewhere is pushing it, peddling it, spreading it. I guess it's been on facebook or something and people are just happy to pass it on.

Oh agreed, you are dead right; not 40% at all but still high and what I found interesting when I worked in a YOI was that there was only one Indian (a Sikh) out of 600, who was in for involvement in an 'honour' killing, so not a racial issue. 'Honour killing' - now there's an oxymoron if you like !

40% sounds wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number of Muslims coming out of prison is higher than the number that go in.  I read that they are abandoning the idea of separating out extremists in different prisons, as they've found that whilst it would be harder for them to organise attacks, other prisoners are vulnerable to being converted and radicalised due to things on offer such as protection and a sense of belonging you'd get in any other gang. 

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Again, too early to tell if it's "terror" but reports of Capitol Hill/Whitehouse being on lock-down because of a shooting this morning.

Which EU country is this in and what does it have to do with ISIS? Or are you in the wrong thread? :) 

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

Which EU country is this in and what does it have to do with ISIS? Or are you in the wrong thread? :) 

Quite possibly in the wrong head when I posted this morning, let alone the wrong thread ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

Just a mentally disturbed lone wolf then.

9 minutes ago, villakram said:

yup, white guys don't do the terrorism

I can kinda see the point you're making, but the IRA, Breivik and Timothy McVeigh, amongst others, kinda undermine it to the extent it's groundless.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I can kinda see the point you're making, but the IRA, Breivik and Timothy McVeigh, amongst others, kinda undermine it to the extent it's groundless.

Exactly. I guess it might be more difficult to see my point as clearly, if you don't live over here. I mean there was a guy who flew a bloody plane into a government building a couple of yrs back (only the IRS mind), and there was hardly a peep. It was quickly listed a just a "regular" crime. In contrast, if you have walked near to some pigment recently and then commit a crime... See also the case of the guy who shot up an abortion clinic recently and the efforts to avoid the terrorism angle, depressing! 

IRA: Leprechaun freedom fighters or some other way to pretend they were not terrorists.

Breivik: Nazi, ends discussion.

McVeigh: errr.... uhhh, ISIS, ISIS!

• Like 1

Â