The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Shit emoji20.png

Can I ask why Belgium is such a target? Is it because of the EU HQ because the nation itself doesn't seem to be overly involved in war on IS etc

At a guess, it could be somewhat down to the attackers being more able to achieve their goals in somewhere like Belgium, compared to the UK or Germany for example, whilst still giving them a high-profile, European target.

I remember reading something about the Paris attacks how the French security services were far behind the likes of Mi-5.  

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Shit emoji20.png

Can I ask why Belgium is such a target? Is it because of the EU HQ because the nation itself doesn't seem to be overly involved in war on IS etc

It has a lot to do with Belgium and specifically Brussels has the highest amount of jihadist's in western Europe afaik.  These have been to Syria and come back again and they let them back in.

The objective is to get these people out of the country and then refuse entry back in,  this is what happens when you have open boarders,  people die.

Yeah I guess that's where a lot of the brains (if you can call them that) behind European operations are based.

Hope it's not in revenge for the arrest of that guy the other day, wouldn't like to think they can act that quickly.

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

this is what happens when you have open boarders,  people die

I think you'll find that people die anyway and, in the history of Europe, when borders are closed, fenced off and fought over, people end up dying in very great numbers.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yup I think the guy behind the Paris attacks was very nearly caught in Brussels but managed to escape after a firefight. IIRC.

He didn't manage to escape. They shot him in the knee and got him, so I assume the bombings here now are some kind of revenge

• Like 2

Just now, Larscapaldi said:

He didn't manage to escape. They shot him in the knee and got him, so I assume the bombings here now are some kind of revenge

Ah fair enough, I must have misread / misheard.

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Shit emoji20.png

Combination of things.

Belgium is a small country, large parts of it are quite poor by expected standards, and it has developed ghetto-ised areas as it has historically had a fair amount of migration. That's a melting pot for extremism to grow, poor disenfranchised young men remote from wider society.

It also has easy connections to France and Germany, the former of which has its own problems of a similar sort to Belgium (and combines that with its history in North Africa and elements of the Middle East) which don't end at the border, which makes Belgium an easy staging point. Then you add that the Belgian security forces aren't as good as some other nations, and it's a mess. This will get worse before it gets better.

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think you'll find that people die anyway and, in the history of Europe, when borders are closed, fenced off and fought over, people end up dying in very great numbers.

European external boarders,  not internal.  People who fight in Syria cannot be let in under any circumstances.

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Ah fair enough, I must have misread / misheard.

The mastermind behind Paris had been dead for ages. The guy they were after was the logistics man who at the last minute decided not to blow himself up and went on the run. He didn't go very far though - he holed up in the same borough he was from, which also was connected to many of his accomplices, and it took them 4 months to find him.

• Like 1

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

European external boarders,  not internal.

European external borders aren't open borders, are they? Unless you're suggesting building a physical wall/fence along the entire perimeter of the EU?

Â