The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

The term "confirmation bias" is a very easy way to dismiss other people's observations. Observations you are not prepared to consider as correct, because they may damage the world view you are desperatly holding on to.

Good luck with that. 

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just for the record if someone like ISIS started attacking where I lived, blowing up buildings, shooting everyone in sight, raping and pillaging, I wouldn't stay and fight.  I'd leg it with my wife and child.  I'd go and find somewhere that I thought might take us all in so I could reluctantly start a new life there, ever grateful for the opportunity I'd been given.

I'm a (relatively) fit, young man, but if people start marching down my street with automatic weapons and RPG launchers I'll be out of here.  Proud and loyal? Yes.  Cannon fodder? No.

RAT! HE'S A RAT!

STAY AND DIE YOU COWARD!

• Like 2

It's nice being opinionated from a 1st world country where your own immediate survival isn't your first concern. 

It's nice being able to walk through many cities, towns knowing you're more or less safe to do so.

I don't think it's much of a surprise when that isn't your lifestyle that you may come across as lazy, selfish etc. 

Edited by lapal_fan

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

"Sorry Sir, you and your family have to go back and fight in your home countries civil war because the Eritrean bloke over there forgot his papers and hasn't fully understood dining hall etiquette"

After 2 months I would say yup, jog on.

8 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

After 2 months I would say yup, jog on.

Is there not some sort of middle ground between your totalistic view and Chindies "hippy dippy" view?

Do you actually believe that we should close borders and "let them sort themselves out"?

Edited by lapal_fan
Stefan told me off :'(
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

The term "confirmation bias" is a very easy way to dismiss other people's observations. Observations you are not prepared to consider as correct, because they may damage the world view you are desperatly holding on to.

Good luck with that. 

"World view", no you misunderstand. I don't need to concoct or protect a worldview. I live my views on this subject. You are an outsider looking in with biased lenses, hilariously trying to preach to me about how my people are because of some experience you had with like 3 people at your lame ass job.

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

'They should stay and fight' is quite possibly the most ridiculous phrase I've heard from blokes who have lived in peace time in a 1st world country their entire life.

I wouldn't.  I'm terrible at Call of Duty etc.  Half Life multiplayer OTOH ...

• Like 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Is there not some sort of middle ground between your totalistic view and Chindies "hippy dippy" view?

Do you actually believe that we should close boarders and "let them sort themselves out"?

Elaborate further and I might find myself taking a less aggressive/totalistic stance. 

It's too late to shut the borders. We have to deal with these refugees now. Even from a totalistic point of view it would be unfeasable. But letting them sort it out themselves: Yes -> arabic coalition (would be better if Saudi Arabia was participating for the right reasons). We just need to stop sending weapons to "moderate rebels". and Turkey needs to stop buying Oil from ISIS.

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

"World view", no you misunderstand. I don't need to concoct or protect a worldview. I live my views on this subject. You are an outsider looking in with biased lenses, hilariously trying to preach to me about how my people are because of some experience you had with like 3 people at your lame ass job.

1. My lame ass job was obligatory. It's called serving your country. Something your lazy ass will probably never do.

2. I worked with 4 groups of 10 people. There were over 20 Groups in total.

Edit: added "probably" 

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

2 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

1. My lame ass job was obligatory. It's called serving your country. Something your lazy ass will never do.

2. I worked with 4 groups of 10 people. There were over 20 Groups in total.

:lol:

How do you go through life with almost zero self awareness?

Also I'm not sure how you managed to infer that I'm lazy and would never serve my country, based on a couple of posts on a messageboard. It's almost like you're generalizing using limited information...

• Like 3

Do these terrorists genuinely believe their God will look favourably upon them for killing and horrifically maiming people going about their day, what an absolute word removed of a God they must be worshipping. I'm sure they can't all believe that but I'm guessing the ones that are prepared to blow themselves up along with innocent people genuinely do, it's scary what some people can be talked into doing.

Edited by will87
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, will87 said:

Do these terrorists genuinely believe their God will look favourably upon them for killing and horrifically maiming people going about there day, what an absolute word removed of a God they must be worshipping. I'm sure they can't all believe that but I'm guessing the ones that are prepared to blow themselves up along with innocent people genuinely do, it's scary what some people can be talked into doing.

ISIS are not behaving in accordance with Islam though AFAIK.  They've just hijacked it for their own purpose i.e. to be megalomaniacs.  To divide and conquer.  Doing a decent job of splitting the decent people in the world apart too with fear, loathing and the internet's most dangerous weapon, ignorance.  Anyone who still thinks ISIS are somehow the purest form or manifestation of Islam or Islamic life has been had, hook, line and sinker.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

ISIS are not behaving in accordance with Islam though AFAIK.  They've just hijacked it for their own purpose i.e. to be megalomaniacs.  To divide and conquer.  Doing a decent job of splitting the decent people in the world apart too with fear, loathing and the internet's most dangerous weapon, ignorance.  Anyone who still thinks ISIS are somehow the purest form or manifestation of Islam or Islamic life has been had, hook, line and sinker.

Not sure if it's just a hijacking, more a bastardised interpretation.  There's plenty of horrible shit in religious texts and some people take it literally.  Nevermind the fact that it's all bollocks. 

• Like 2

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Not sure if it's just a hijacking, more a bastardised interpretation.  There's plenty of horrible shit in religious texts and some people take it literally.  Nevermind the fact that it's all bollocks. 

Hijacking/bastardising, yes, we're slightly into semantics there because even if it was a 100% hijacking you could still draw parallels with any text if you wanted to.  Basically they'll do what the hell they want and they'll turn the world against Islam in the process regardless of how thinly aligned to it that they are (which they aren't).

Â