Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Sorry, but no. It sounds horrible. Sing properly, or shut the **** up.

My old Granny, used to say the same about anyone who came after John McCormack and Richard Tauber.

Tauber was a **** hero to me. Me and my Gramps would listen to him for hours.
  • Like 1

I don't how you can listen to a hip hop tune like Mos Def - Ms Fat Booty and not love it.  Hip Hop at its best.

I know Mooney has no interest, and has had bad experiences with Hipity Hop, but Umi Says by Mos Def would be my suggestion for a "gateway".

• Like 2

I'm trying to think of an equivalent that would produce the same reaction in rap fans.

Howabout trad English folk? You know, that finger-in-one-ear, 'As roved out one morning in the merrie month of May' stuff?

There is a massive range of performers, with very different approaches to the genre. But my bet is that if you hate it, you hate it, and no amount of 'try this' YouTube clips will change your mind.

Well, that's rap, to me.

• Like 4

At this stage of life, I don't have enough years left to waste them listening to stuff I can't stand.

Do you like anything with sampling?
Not much, no.
In fact the combination of sampling and rapping is probably worst of all.

I just want to hear vocalists singing and musicians playing instruments.

Copying somebody else's record, looping it repetitively over robot 'drums' and speak/shouting stupid lyrics over it can do one.

I'm trying to think of an equivalent that would produce the same reaction in rap fans.

Howabout trad English folk? You know, that finger-in-one-ear, 'As roved out one morning in the merrie month of May' stuff?

There is a massive range of performers, with very different approaches to the genre. But my bet is that if you hate it, you hate it, and no amount of 'try this' YouTube clips will change your mind.

Well, that's rap, to me.

As the Frank Zappa song goes - you is what you is! :)

Well, that's rap, to me.

I actually don't agree with that.

But that might be due to my personal taste. 

I'm yet to find a genre that I just wipe out completely. There's always something in there that I like even if the genre as a whole would be bottom of my list.

Edit: although I'm not saying you don't have to like rap! :)

If you don't like it you don't like it. I was just replying to the general point

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Well, that's rap, to me.

I actually don't agree with that.

But that might be due to my personal taste.

I'm yet to find a genre that I just wipe out completely. There's always something in there that I like even if the genre as a whole would be bottom of my list.

Edit: although I'm not saying you don't have to like rap! :)

If you don't like it you don't like it. I was just replying to the general point

Well yeah, I take your point. There may be the odd track/artist I could sort of like (I've already mentioned Gil Scott Heron, but he is not really rap as it later became). But as you say, it would be well down the list. So to all intents and purposes, it's a genre I have no time for.

However, I TOTALLY 'get' why people would hate some of the stuff I listen to. You is indeed what you is (thanks MMV).

I think the problem is that 95% of Rap/Hip Hop is crap.  Formulaic music with pointless lyrics.  This is coming from a big hip hop fan too.

I am not a genre whore really.  If I think it's good then I like it.  Different music for different times/moods. 

I think the problem is that 95% of Rap/Hip Hop is crap.  Formulaic music with pointless lyrics....

I think a lot of people would say the same about [insert name of music genre] - But whether you're talking about pop or metal or Rap, it's the 5% that's worth finding.

...but never throw music away kids.

You'll be amazed the schitt you'll give a second chance 25 years later. I'm currently rediscovering country funk - something I'd have been violently opposed to back in the day.

Of course, if you're under 24 years of age you'll only keep any music until the end of you're phone contract, but should you buy a hard copy I mean, keep that.

If you Nu-Metal/Rap-Metal counts as a genre then it's one I'm happy to not give a chance to.

I was 16 in 2001, so although not something I'd choose to listen to often nowadays it will always have a place in my heart.

• Like 3

If you Nu-Metal/Rap-Metal counts as a genre then it's one I'm happy to not give a chance to.

I was 16 in 2001, so although not something I'd choose to listen to often nowadays it will always have a place in my heart.

sorry, for clarity, are you actually saying that's a real genre?

I was thinking of stuff like Fred Durst's band, Blink 182, Offspring, Papa Roach and similar, I think it falls under Nu-Metal.

Yeah there was loads of nu-metal bands in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Offspring and Blink 182 don't fit into this category though, although nu-metal fans tended to appreciate them.

• Like 1

I was thinking of stuff like Fred Durst's band, Blink 182, Offspring, Papa Roach and similar, I think it falls under Nu-Metal.

Yeah there was loads of nu-metal bands in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Offspring and Blink 182 don't fit into this category though, although nu-metal fans tended to appreciate them.

I'm the same.

I was around that age at that time so it will always have a certain amount of nostalgia for me, even though I don't really think the quality of music is very high there!

Â