Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

I don't get R&B music. It has stolen its name from an earlier form of music in order to pass itself off as something other than tuneless pop with embarrassingly bad lyrics.

I know what you mean, and totally get where you're coming from, but I do like some RnB (to differentiate from R&B ). Mainly to do with the fact that back in the days of sowing wild oats, I used to go out to a club on a Thursday night, that played that kind of stuff. Oh man, I've got some great memories from those times! Memories that I often turn too, in the lonely hours of the night.

Some RnB is great.

However, I'm definitely not a fan of the slow RnB "ballad" that is rife these days. People like Trey Songz. Rubbish

Good RnB is still good though.

I don't get R&B music. It has stolen its name from an earlier form of music in order to pass itself off as something other than tuneless pop with embarrassingly bad lyrics.

I know what you mean, and totally get where you're coming from, but I do like some RnB (to differentiate from R&B ). Mainly to do with the fact that back in the days of sowing wild oats, I used to go out to a club on a Thursday night, that played that kind of stuff. Oh man, I've got some great memories from those times! Memories that I often turn too, in the lonely hours of the night.

Some RnB is great.

However, I'm definitely not a fan of the slow RnB "ballad" that is rife these days. People like Trey Songz. Rubbish

Good RnB is still good though.

Oh yeah, I've no idea about the more modern stuff. I'm talking circa 1996 - 1998. Blackstreet, Montel Jordan, Mary J Blige, Lauryn Hill kind of stuff.

• Like 1

Exactly, although the line blurs between RnB and hip hop. I don't really know the difference.

There is some phenomenally good hip hop though.

LIke I said in another thread, I find it strange when people write off an entire genre of music, especially one as varied as RnB/Hip Hop.

But I guess that's why this thread is here :D

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I find it strange when people write off an entire genre of music, especially one as varied as RnB/Hip Hop.

I do like a lot of Hip Hop, but I wouldn't lump those two together at all. I agree that it's silly to write off an entire genre of music: People do that a lot with dance music and it drives me crazy. If you say there's some good RnB out there, I'll (somewhat generously) believe you, it's just that so far I've found it almost exclusively to be populated by the kind of performers who put big photographs of themselves on their album covers as if how they look should be a reason to listen to them (remember Craig David?).

• Like 1

I find it strange when people write off an entire genre of music, especially one as varied as RnB/Hip Hop.

I do like a lot of Hip Hop, but I wouldn't lump those two together at all. I agree that it's silly to write off an entire genre of music: People do that a lot with dance music and it drives me crazy. If you say there's some good RnB out there, I'll (somewhat generously) believe you, it's just that so far I've found it almost exclusively to be populated by the kind of performers who put big photographs of themselves on their album covers as if how they look should be a reason to listen to them (remember Craig David?).

What if you genuinely hate the actual style, though?

People keep telling me about the 'good' hip hop, but whenever I give it a listen it still sounds like the same shite.

What if you genuinely hate the actual style, though?

People keep telling me about the 'good' hip hop, but whenever I give it a listen it still sounds like the same shite.

Purely imo, much of hip hop and nearly all of RnB seems to be satisfied to be nothing more than XX for the sake of XX.

But hip hop acts like Public Enemy, George Clinton (on occasions when he dabbled), De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest have all produced hip hop that is real quality.

There you go MJM. Some samey shite for you. I believe if you listen to the whole thing even you might nod your head a LITTLE when it gets into its stride.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

That's fairly inoffensive I agree. I didn't listen to all of it, but there didn't seem to be any rapping on it, which is the main thing. Rapping (other than Gil Scott Heron) is a deal breaker.

Edited by mjmooney

That's fairly inoffensive I agree. I didn't listen to all of it, but there didn't seem to be any rapping on it, which is the main thing. Rapping (other than Gil Scott Heron) is a deal breaker.

Oh, Mooney! If you didn't get to the rapping you didn't get to the proper funky bit.

Hip hop is alright when they have something to say and often with a bit of humour/satire, mainly like they did when it first came out. A lot of it now seems to be about money, dicks, tits and arses. And they all end up 'featuring' on each other's records, that really winds me up for no real reason. RnB is just shit pop music if you ask me.

• Like 1

Â