Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

for 10 years i played football on a thursday night, now i play football on a wednesday night

means i always wake up on a thursday feeling the after effects and thinking that its friday

Similar problem to me. We look after the grandchildren Tue/Wed/Thu, so our 'working week' finishes on Thursday evening - which feels like Friday used to. Friday morning then feels like Saturday, and I expect football. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Erm... what the ****?!

Sorry. Got a bit carried away. I’m not secretely in love with @BOF. No way. 

Quickly, look over there, there’s a bloke not wearing any socks and someone putting gravy on his fish.

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah me too. Without context my post seems quite aggressive. Or homophobic. Or both

I only ever use VT on my phone and literally haven’t got a clue what the two of you are on about 🤷‍♂️😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry to bring football into OT, but I Don't Get all these posters saying how they're excited and looking forward to the new season. 

I'm full of dread, foreboding and pessimism, as always. 

I actually am this season. Not so much with regards to an optimistic view on how Villa might do, just that I think there seems a lot more competitiveness for the top 10 or 12. Rather than there being a top 6-8 then not much between the rest. It's still likely to be a top 2 of Man City and Liverpool but think the usual ones behind them will have to work harder to keep there places. Not because Villa or anyone else is immediate direct competition but if points get spread out a bit, it could get interesting.

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Similar problem to me. We look after the grandchildren Tue/Wed/Thu, so our 'working week' finishes on Thursday evening - which feels like Friday used to. Friday morning then feels like Saturday, and I expect football. 

Don't worry, give it a year or two and I'm sure the Premier League will oblige with Friday morning games to appease some international audience somewhere.

• Like 2

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm an older guy but I'm trying not to come over all gammony. 

I don't get why it's empowering to women to take off their top and show their sports bra. 

I would agree if we lived in a society where women were repressed and forced to cover up but in the UK if a woman wants to go to the swimming pool or beach in a bikini they are perfectly entitled to.   They are entitled to walk round city street in skimpy tops on hot days, go to festivals and clubs in not much more in fact less than a sports bra top. 

I just don't understand the empowerment thing. 

Oh, and I don't get taking your shirt off when you've scored a goal. When did that first happen and why has it taken off? 

Shows a disrespect to the shirt for me, especially when they chuck it on the ground. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Oh, and I don't get taking your shirt off when you've scored a goal. When did that first happen and why has it taken off? 

Shows a disrespect to the shirt for me, especially when they chuck it on the ground. 

The one in the final annoyed me as she scored, went to take it off then waited as she wasn't sure it was given, then took it off. Probably one for the other thread as it shouldn't annoy me and I guess its probably best to be sure before you go off celebrating but taking off shirt seems like it should be an instinct thing. Unless you have a message underneath then it's obviously premeditated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm an older guy but I'm trying not to come over all gammony. 

I don't get why it's empowering to women to take off their top and show their sports bra. 

I would agree if we lived in a society where women were repressed and forced to cover up but in the UK if a woman wants to go to the swimming pool or beach in a bikini they are perfectly entitled to.   They are entitled to walk round city street in skimpy tops on hot days, go to festivals and clubs in not much more in fact less than a sports bra top. 

I just don't understand the empowerment thing. 

Empowering to take to take your top off if your a women??

I've heard it all now, I'll await #Stevo985  explanation backing that one up. 🙄

Edited by foreveryoung

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Empowering to take to take your top off if your a women??

I've heard it all now, I'll await #Stevo985  explanation backing that one up. 🙄

I don’t really know. 

I do remember an American woman doing it in the 90’s, possibly the Atlanta Olympics, and it was huge news because it was seen as shocking.

So maybe it’s something to do with that?

On 04/08/2022 at 10:09, villa4europe said:

I'm full of apathy if I'm honest 

If villa finish 8th or 14th I think I can just carry on, the days of villa ruining my weekend are long gone, I'll no doubt get infuriated at certain moments during the season (looking at you PGMOL...) if we start to flirt with Europe or relegation I'll probably get more involved but being a mid table "nothing" club has some positives, I'm honestly not sure if I'll even watch tomorrow, I plan (in the sun with a beer) to but if something comes up then I won't (because of the sunshine and beer I'm sure the wife will find something...) 

I've moved on to the NFL, expecting to be more attached to that this year

I've got an air of ambivalence about it. We're a mid table team and we're not going to win anything. Yes, I love to see us win but it just feels like a sport that is decaying before my eyes. The amount of money in it and how skewed it is for the elite makes me hate it at times. Still, the english game is more popular in Thailand and Qatar, so it's not all bad eh?

Thing is, I've lost my mojo for the NFL as well. 

• Like 3

On 04/08/2022 at 10:23, Vive_La_Villa said:

See I’m the complete opposite! I don’t get all the posters that aren’t excited !!

One of the things that has soured my enjoyment is the amount of negative nellies in On-Topic. They really suck the life out of everything. 

I should ignore them but can't - its like picking at a scab. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Xela said:

I've got an air of ambivalence about it. We're a mid table team and we're not going to win anything. Yes, I love to see us win but it just feels like a sport that is decaying before my eyes. The amount of money in it and how skewed it is for the elite makes me hate it at times. Still, the english game is more popular in Thailand and Qatar, so it's not all bad eh?

Thing is, I've lost my mojo for the NFL as well. 

Yeah but chargers are my team whereas you follow the Browns (?) I'm not surprised 😉

We'll see because I'm in for the disappointment this year of a lot of chargers games being on yank TV which means silly o'clock kick off times here so I won't actually watch that much of them

But just as something simple I currently listen to 3 NFL podcasts weekly, can't even find a Villa one that I like, did listen to Ian Wright's ringer podcast and they're good guys (Ryan and Musa) but I'm just not interested anymore 

• Like 1

Â