Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Seems like the piss up and the atmosphere are the main attraction with attending darts.  Not sure how much attention the actual darts the spectators pay.

Agree, don't watch darts on TV as it bores me to tears, don't okay darts either... But I've always fancied a night out at the darts getting absolutely off my tits 

I think whoever made the reference to football earlier is right, it looks like an away day tear up with a darts match rather than a football match, definitley won't be everyone's cup of tea (I'm sure not everyone gets hammered on an away day either) but at least with this it looks like very like minded people, I doubt there's many people moaning to those standing etc 

Yeah the darts is definitely a good piss up with the darts in the background. Like @sidcow said earlier, racing is a bit like that for me, both nags and dogs. I wouldn't go to any of those events just for the 'sport'

On my various trips to HK, every Wednesday we always went to the night races at Happy Valley.... that was more for the ambience as well as the drinks! Great location. 

KUjvaRa.jpeg

fQKL2CE.jpeg

• Like 3

It’s the poor sods who have been following cricket and/or darts for decades, regardless of whether it’s a good day/night out, only to find themselves trying to enjoy their pastime while sat next to a pissed up bloke dressed as a smurf that I think about.

• Haha 1

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s the poor sods who have been following cricket and/or darts for decades, regardless of whether it’s a good day/night out, only to find themselves trying to enjoy their pastime while sat next to a pissed up bloke dressed as a smurf that I think about.

I got rid of the Smurf outfit years ago I'll have you know. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I have the same problem with darts that I have with the olympics - it's **** boring. I appreciate it takes a huge amount of dedication, training and skill, but I just don't see what there is to enjoy as a spectator - oh, you threw the dart accurately. ran fastest, or jumped highest, great. I admire the people who can succeed at it, but it's a bit too basic and one-dimensional to get any enjoyment from watching it.

I’ve said the same about the Olympics before. Running from point a to point b. So what?

I probably prefer sports that rely on hand-eye coordination and strategy rather than physical attributes, or sportsmen that have that bit of magic and imagination rather than physical prowess.  I would rather get my leg stuck in a lawnmower than be in the audience at the darts though.

8 hours ago, Xela said:

Yeah the darts is definitely a good piss up with the darts in the background. Like @sidcow said earlier, racing is a bit like that for me, both nags and dogs. I wouldn't go to any of those events just for the 'sport'

On my various trips to HK, every Wednesday we always went to the night races at Happy Valley.... that was more for the ambience as well as the drinks! Great location. 

KUjvaRa.jpeg

fQKL2CE.jpeg

Absolutely love Happy Valley on a Wednesday night, as you say it's got to be the most awesome surroundings in sport.

Also helps that I won the biggest victory I've ever had in horse racing there, Oriental Prosper it was appropriately called.

• Like 1

I don't get the appeal of horse or greyhound racing. Been along a few times when at Uni (usually doing hospitality work but not always). Not a gambler and if I want to drink I'll go somewhere to actually drink rather then. I've also seen too much about how the animals are treated and that puts me off. 

• Like 3

I worked out a system for the horse races ( which didnt work ) so I went to the races for a year to try my system but I also cant see why people are attracted to it.The dividends are pathetic yet its one of the most popular sports in the world?  

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I don't get the appeal of horse or greyhound racing. Been along a few times when at Uni (usually doing hospitality work but not always). Not a gambler and if I want to drink I'll go somewhere to actually drink rather then. I've also seen too much about how the animals are treated and that puts me off. 

Horse racing is absolutely horrific to attend if you’re not doing the hospitality thing from my experience.  

Hugely overpriced beer, endless queues to actually buy one which is often as long as the interludes between races.  Sometimes you’re not even allowed to take the beer trackside.  Then your actual view is of about 2% of the race.

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s a mystery to me how any of the gambling companies are still in business. I’ve only ever heard of people winning, and winning big.

Absolute mug’s game trying to make money as a betting company.

Sad to say and possibly a generalisation but in terms of the bookies themselves a lot of mental health patients, career beggars, addicts, alcoholics and those less fortunate in life in other ways are the usual patrons. The ones society has either forgotten about or given up on and as a reflection of the times we live in there’s plenty of them these days. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s a mystery to me how any of the gambling companies are still in business. I’ve only ever heard of people winning, and winning big.

Absolute mug’s game trying to make money as a betting company.

The confidence trick is "I'm not a mug so I'll be the one that wins the money from the mugs"..

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have a feeling the pandemic has been immense for bookies, I bet they’ve seen profits soar.

Its a horrible business, profiting from the misery of others.

Yep, which is ultimately what they are. Bloody vampires. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

What I don’t understand is the areas of Birmingham that are under Sharia Law but still have a BetFred.

BetFawad

• Haha 2

Â