Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

On 6/7/2017 at 22:13, sharkyvilla said:

The Isle of Man TT.  3 more have died this year so far, 32 in the last decade.  How is it still going?

I think they know the risks and if they ride motorcycles on a daily basis anyway so they understand that it is a lot more dangerous than a car for example as a means of transport.  The jump from car to bike dangerous is lunacy in itself maybe.

I think they would do it anyway on normal roads in Wales and Yorkshire for example so maybe,  overall it reduces motorcycle deaths as a whole ? No way to know this but if the TT is the big one then maybe people just wait for that for the proper lunacy. It's a bit like boxing in that from the outside it should not be allowed but I understand (and love ) the fact that it is.

9 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Being a Taurus I prefer drier ground.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

1f42e.png

Eh? Lads?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Now I've got a few tattoos and when it's really warm I've got no shame in going topless and banging my shorts on. There is a bloke on site who is absolutely covered with tattoos on legs and upper body and he's constantly got no top on and shorts. No matter what the weather he's there with no top and shorts. 

• 3 weeks later...

Full English breakfasts. 

And baked beans. I can't fully understand people choosing to eat them, of their own free will. They look and taste more suited to being passed through a ten-centimetre square hole in the steel door of a Russian prison cell. 

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Full English breakfasts. 

And baked beans. I can't fully understand people choosing to eat them, of their own free will. They look and taste more suited to being passed through a ten-centimetre square hole in the steel door of a Russian prison cell. 

Weirdo.

The FEB (with a big mug of tea) is what I would choose as my last meal before facing the firing squad. Baked beans included. 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2017 at 23:13, HanoiVillan said:

I get why the Isle of Man hosts it, I don't get why people participate. 

I'm just too risk-averse I guess. 

The riders argue that "it's part of who they are" and having met a few, it's hard to argue that that's not the case.  There's a woman at work whose partner Dean was in one of the races for classic bikes.  About four years when she started working for me, he had a really bad crash and broke just about every bone in his body.  She had to take 3 months off work to look after him, as he couldn't do anything for himself.  Then a year or two ago, he started racing again, had another crash, and died.  There's a lad I know called Ryan whose dad had his arm ripped off in an accident, but Ryan still races.

In short, they're all completely mental.  It's a great couple of weeks over here though.  Putting your foot down over the mountain road when there's no speed limit takes some beating, I tell you.

Edited by Risso
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Full English breakfasts. 

i would say the biggest problem with the full english breakfast is that for something so simple you can still manage to get it so wrong, you can discount any of them served abroad for a start, the ingredients simply arent there, they use imitations, you can forget any of them that come from fancy restaurants and put anything green on the side of it, trying too hard, i had one at the weekend with sauteed potatoes with it...not served on a spade or a fancy plate or the beans in a little pot or any of that bollocks

good quality ingredients, lots of it, bit of everything on your plate, friday morning and if its done properly you wont be hungry for the rest of the day

2 sausage, 2 bacon, egg, hash browns, beans, mushrooms, black pudding, toast, brown sauce - boom

weatherspoons do a decent one to be fair to them

• Like 1

The two enjoyable bits of a full English are sausages and bacon, so once you've narrowed it down to the key ingredients, all that's left is to make a sausage and bacon sandwich on toasted bread, with brown sauce, and get on with the rest of the day. 

• Like 1

no, beans are awesome and essential, sorry. mushrooms on the other hand are a disgrace. The black ones I see in pubs or cafeteria resemble the coalburnt droppings of a giant Satanic rabbit, and they taste as I would expect. Black pudding is a further waste of plate space that could be replaced by some bacon or bread.

I know the debate has already raged, but I felt compelled to defend the honour of a baked bean.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i would say the biggest problem with the full english breakfast is that for something so simple you can still manage to get it so wrong, you can discount any of them served abroad for a start, the ingredients simply arent there, they use imitations, you can forget any of them that come from fancy restaurants and put anything green on the side of it, trying too hard, i had one at the weekend with sauteed potatoes with it...not served on a spade or a fancy plate or the beans in a little pot or any of that bollocks

good quality ingredients, lots of it, bit of everything on your plate, friday morning and if its done properly you wont be hungry for the rest of the day

2 sausage, 2 bacon, egg, hash browns, beans, mushrooms, black pudding, toast, brown sauce - boom

weatherspoons do a decent one to be fair to them

I agree with everything you say, apart from the "won't be hungry for the rest of the day" bit.

There isn't a meal on the planet that, if eaten for breakfast, would keep me from being hungry for the rest of the day :D 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A regular repeat driving test, maybe every 10 years, would employ more people, raise more income and potentially make the roads a little safer.

It's not a bad shout, maybe not a repeat 'test' as such, but certainly some kind of refresher every 'x' number of years. The Mway thing is the issue for me and if you had to past at least a basic test for that, it would also do the things you describe. 

• Like 1

I drive around 30,000 miles with work every year. I can pretty much say I've never had any sort of near miss from Monday through to Friday. Typically, everyone on the motorways in both rush hours knows the motorway etiquette and has experience of driving them. However, it scares the s**t out of me driving on motorways at the weekend,  its like Wacky Races. (particularly Sunday mornings....)

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 20:02, chrisp65 said:

A regular repeat driving test, maybe every 10 years, would employ more people, raise more income and potentially make the roads a little safer.

I agree there should be some sort of refresher, but I think I'd fail a test if I took it right now.

I'm a perfectly safe driver. Never had an accident, never had a ticket, never made a claim on my insurance etc

But I think the driving test is ultra safe. So maybe it should be some sort of assessment. Like a driving test lite.

On 8/5/2017 at 14:59, wazzap24 said:

Why isn't there a secondary driving test for motorway driving? 

I think, if you pass the standard test, you should then have to pass a specific 'Motorway test', before you can drive on them. 

Some of the driving I've seen this week has been utter madness. like properly dangerous, WTAF are you doing, madness. 

School Hols are a blessing and a curse. The volume of traffic comes down, but the volume of idiots sky rockets. 

It does seem mad that you're not allowed to use the motorways as a learner, so you have absolutely no experience on them. Then as soon as you pass your test you're allowed on them.

But you're right. The amount of people using motorways who don't know how to use them is too large.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 21:02, HanoiVillan said:

Full English breakfasts. 

Yep. I don't like half the things on them. I'd much rather take the good bits and whack it on an amazing brekkie sandwich (as you stated after)

• Like 1

Why so many people love to mix sweet and savoury:

Turkey and cranberry, BBQ sauce on pizza, sweet and sour, sweet chili sauce, maple syrup and bacon, all yuk!

Right, I'm off to smear chocolate on my fry up.

Â