Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Why so many people love to mix sweet and savoury:

Turkey and cranberry, BBQ sauce on pizza, sweet and sour, sweet chili sauce, maple syrup and bacon, all yuk!

Right, I'm off to smear chocolate on my fry up.

Because in most good meals, you need a contrasting taste to cut through the dominant one, or it all gets a bit samey.  As an example, lamb and mint sauce; the acidity of the lamb balances the smooth and meaty taste of the lamb perfectly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Turkey and cranberry, BBQ sauce on pizza, sweet and sour, sweet chili sauce, maple syrup and bacon, all yuk!

What I wonder is why would someone want to limit their palate by not mixing sweet and savoury. There's a reason most of the world mixes them. In fact until we adopted Russian service, French service meant that all dishes were served at the same time, sweet or savoury or both. And of course, all puddings used to be savoury.

Chocolate is a savoury food. You've been brainwashed by Big Sugar :trollface:  

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Most of that works for me, although the BBQ sauce on pizza gets a bit sickly for me.

Syrup with breakfast foods is a revelation for me. It just works.

I don't like anything that tastes too much like tomatoes, so only ever eat pizza if it has BBQ base. I don't mind if tomatoes are used in the recipe, like in a chili or a curry, but if I can see dirty big bits of tomato, then I can't even entertain the idea of eating it.

12 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

but if I can see dirty big bits of tomato, then I can't even entertain the idea of eating it.

12 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

so only ever eat pizza if it has BBQ base

What pizzas have you been eating??

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It does seem mad that you're not allowed to use the motorways as a learner, so you have absolutely no experience on them. Then as soon as you pass your test you're allowed on them.

But you're right. The amount of people using motorways who don't know how to use them is too large.

They are introducing voluntary motorway lessons before you pass your test, but it has to be done in a dual-operated car just in case.  I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes mandatory pretty soon after it has been trialled for a few years.  They're also making use of sat-navs part of the driving test so that people can prove they can follow the directions without getting distracted.

3 hours ago, limpid said:

What I wonder is why would someone want to limit their palate by not mixing sweet and savoury. There's a reason most of the world mixes them. In fact until we adopted Russian service, French service meant that all dishes were served at the same time, sweet or savoury or both. And of course, all puddings used to be savoury.

i never knew it was service a la russe, the most surprising thing about it is from my experience the service in russia was some of the worst id experienced, it came out sequentially but all at different times, the five of us never got served at once, i think the one time it was 20 minutes apart

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i never knew it was service a la russe, the most surprising thing about it is from my experience the service in russia was some of the worst id experienced, it came out sequentially but all at different times, the five of us never got served at once, i think the one time it was 20 minutes apart

I've found this in other places too.

In Marrakech all restaurants seemed to be like that. Seemed like they just started cooking everything at the same time and when a dish is ready it gets served, regardless of how far away any other dishes were.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've found this in other places too.

In Marrakech all restaurants seemed to be like that. Seemed like they just started cooking everything at the same time and when a dish is ready it gets served, regardless of how far away any other dishes were.

I don't mind that for tapas type meals, but that's odd if the menu lists them as starters, mains, etc.

23 minutes ago, limpid said:

I don't mind that for tapas type meals, but that's odd if the menu lists them as starters, mains, etc.

They stuck to starters, then main, then dessert, to be fair.

But they just brought any starter out whenever it was done. So if one person was having salad and everyone else cooked stuff, they'd have their salad immediately, and everyone else would have to wait until theirs was ready.

Same with mains. Something quickly fried came out straight away and something that took longer came out after like 15 minutes

It annoyed me at first, but by the end of the week I wasn't really bothered. It kind of worked to be honest. Why does everyone have to start at the same time? 

Edited by Stevo985

i went to tom kerridge's gastro pub in marlow, think its called the coach, thats a tapas style little plate of food order several of them but thats served in a when its ready its ready style meaning everything comes at different times, food was awesome but i found it so off putting

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i went to tom kerridge's gastro pub in marlow, think its called the coach, thats a tapas style little plate of food order several of them but thats served in a when its ready its ready style meaning everything comes at different times, food was awesome but i found it so off putting

Its perfect for small plate food, also keeps the interest going throughout the meal. The basic idea is that everyone shares most of the food anyway so there shouldn't be anyone really waiting whilst other eat

57 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

His grub looks lovely, but there's something very off-putting about Tom Kerridge. 

I've always thought he seemed pretty sound. As you say his food look tremendous.

54 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He's the kind of person who looked healthier when he was obese than he does now he's been on a diet.  

Never trust a skinny cook.

49 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I've always thought he seemed pretty sound. 

When I first saw him, I thought he looked like a thug. Then I read his Wkipedia entry: 

On 7 November 2012, Kerridge was among a number of chefs who joined in the cyberbullying of a customer of his associate Claude Bosi's restaurant Hibiscus. James Isherwood had written on his blog, 'Dining With James', that he had not enjoyed his starter, leading Bosi and several other chefs to verbally abuse him on Twitter. Kerridge intimated publicly on Twitter, where he has over 90,000 followers, that the customer was a "c***", "bellend" and "dickhead" and would never be welcome in his restaurant, and encouraged Bosi to "smash him in".

• Like 1

Â