Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

His grub looks lovely, but there's something very off-putting about Tom Kerridge. 

I went to his gastro pub because I looked at his 2 Michelin Star place round the corner and wasn't fussed by the menu, the food was good to be fair, his dopamine diet cook book is probably the best cook book I've ever owned (I don't own many I tend to use YouTube)  it I can't watch him on tv, just something about him, maybe a touch of Jamie Olivers cheeky chappy that I just don't like

53 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Race walking. Am I missing something here?

Not only is it just generally ridiculous, but just having a quick look the WR 20km time is 1:16 - equivalent to ~3:50/km or 6:10/mi - that's not walking.

It's mincing not walking

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

Race walking. Am I missing something here?

Not only is it just generally ridiculous, but just having a quick look the WR 20km time is 1:16 - equivalent to ~3:50/km or 6:10/mi - that's not walking.

It's walking by it's very definition.

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's walking by it's very definition.

Point taken, though considering the number of people disqualified today there would appear to be a fair few defying that definition.

I just don't get it, and don't understand how it warrants featuring in the WCs and Olympics.

3 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Point taken, though considering the number of people disqualified today there would appear to be a fair few defying that definition.

I just don't get it, and don't understand how it warrants featuring in the WCs and Olympics.

I don't watch it, but I'm unsure why it gets such a bad rep. I can only conclude it's because they look a bit funny when they do it,.

It's a lot more physically demanding than LOADS of other sports that feature in WCs and Olympics.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't watch it, but I'm unsure why it gets such a bad rep. I can only conclude it's because they look a bit funny when they do it,.

It's a lot more physically demanding than LOADS of other sports that feature in WCs and Olympics.

I think it gets such a bad rep because it's a bit of a nothing sport. These folks are 'walking' faster than most people can run, but not fast enough that they'd win ther local park run. It's essentially a restricted version of a sport that already features, I don't see a lot of difference between the following two sentences:

'Run as fast as you can but without lifting both feet off the floor'

'Run as fast as you can but whilst balancing an egg on a spoon'

I mean come on, climbing, trail/ultra running, squash, cricket, surfing and many more sports don't feature but this does?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

I think it gets such a bad rep because it's a bit of a nothing sport. These folks are 'walking' faster than most people can run, but not fast enough that they'd win ther local park run. It's essentially a restricted version of a sport that already features, I don't see a lot of difference between the following two sentences:

'Run as fast as you can but without lifting both feet off the floor'

'Run as fast as you can but whilst balancing an egg on a spoon'

I mean come on, climbing, trail/ultra running, squash, cricket, surfing and many more sports don't feature but this does?

It's not running though. "Run as fast as you can without lifting both feet off the floor [at the same time]" is a paradox. If you don't life both feet off the floor at once then you aren't running.

Why is it more of a "nothing sport" than chucking a ball as far as you can, or using a pole to jump as high as you can, or chucking a disc really far?
It's also been in the Olympics for over 100 years so there's no argument that it's not traditional.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of it. I've never watched it. But I don't understand the criticisms.

Edited by Stevo985

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not running though. "Run as fast as you can without lifting both feet off the floor [at the same time]" is a paradox. If you don't life both feet off the floor at once then you aren't running.

Why is it more of a "nothing sport" than chucking a ball as far as you can, or using a pole to jump as high as you can, or chucking a disc really far?
It's also been in the Olympics for over 100 years so there's no argument that it's not traditional.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of it. I've never watched it. But I don't understand the criticisms.

I understand what you're saying. I just don't get it, hence posting in this thread.

And for what it's worth they're allowed to run, just not more than three times, which is another thing I don't get.

21 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

And for what it's worth they're allowed to run, just not more than three times, which is another thing I don't get.

They're not allowed to run. If both feet leave the ground at once they get a red card, and if they get 3 red cards then they're DQ'd.
That's like saying in football you're allowed to foul people, or you're allowed to handball it just because you don't get immediately sent off for any infringement. You're not allowed to do that stuff, you get punished if you do it, and if you do it too often or too seriously, you're DQ'd (or sent off).

it's not like the walkers are allowed to sprint for 100m and they only get one red card for that.

I guess when you're operating right on the edge between walking and running, it would be harsh for one mistake to mean automatic disqualification.

Edited by Stevo985

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess when you're operating right on the edge between walking and running, it would be harsh for one mistake to mean automatic disqualification.

This is don't agree with. Sprinters are operating right on the edge of what's humanly possible, but a foot outside their lane and they're out, a millisecond too quick off the blocks and they're out. Long/triple jumpers, shotput, javelin, hammer, all throwing every ounce of their body weight in one direction but a toe over the line in that direction and it's void.

And if we're being pedantic, if two feet are off the ground at once is that not by definition running?

I need someone to explain to me how the actual **** the wire spool thingies on grass trimmers are supposed to work. 

I've broke my third one in 18 months, this time after smashing it up against the shed wall in anger. 

I've followed instructions, but you switch it on, it cuts about two blades of grass, then the wire dissapears and I have to stop, re-feed it through and repeat. I nearly had a 'falling down-esque' meltdown over it. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

I need someone to explain to me how the actual **** the wire spool thingies on grass trimmers are supposed to work. 

I've broke my third one in 18 months, this time after smashing it up against the shed wall in anger. 

I've followed instructions, but you switch it on, it cuts about two blades of grass, then the wire dissapears and I have to stop, re-feed it through and repeat. I nearly had a 'falling down-esque' meltdown over it. 

Sounds like you've got a crap strimmer. Mine unwinds itself as the end wears down. 

Â