Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sounds like you've got a crap strimmer. Mine unwinds itself as the end wears down. 

I've had 3 and the last one was the most expensive I could buy, without going to a proper blade, with a petrol engine! 

I think it's me doing something fundamentally wrong, but McGrath on a bike, there has to be a better solution surely?! 

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

I must admit, that wasn't far off the scene in my back garden! 

I wanted the strimmer to feel actual pain :D

Edited by wazzap24

• 3 weeks later...

Our friends are in the caravan next door and my mate being his normal self strolls out of bed at 8.00 and opens a can straight away. I just couldn't do that. I mean I've drank early in the past in a pub or on a coach on way to the football or races, but I couldn't just walk out of bed and grab a can. He is a functioning alcoholic though. 

Well I woke up Sunday morning
With no way to hold my head
That didn't hurt

And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad
So I had one more for dessert
Then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes
And found my cleanest dirty shirt

And I shaved my face
And combed my hair
And stumbled down the stairs
To meet the day

Read more: Kris Kristofferson - Sunday Morning Coming Down Lyrics | MetroLyrics 

• Like 1

Can never do the early morning drinking... even on a stag do. If I start at 8am, there is no way I will last until the evening and I'd rather be out in the evening. 

I had a couple of pints yesterday between 11am and Midday, funeral, stopped then though because I needed to drive later. It's not the time you start drinking that's the problem, it's the length of time it takes you to stop

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Midday is probably the earliest I would drink. 

Same here. The only exception is Christmas Day, when I start with whisky in tea first thing, and then drink (all sorts of stuff) steadily, all day long. 

Edited by mjmooney

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Can never do the early morning drinking... even on a stag do. If I start at 8am, there is no way I will last until the evening and I'd rather be out in the evening. 

You can do both if you master the art of the midday, mid-bender power nap!

That said, I haven't even tried to do that in about 30 years.   Similar to mjmooney, we start Christmas morning with an aquavit and a beer, but then we're done until dinner time.

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

my cleanest dirty shirt

that song, together with Billy Bragg's 'A New England' might just be my absolute favourite lyrics

I saw two shooting stars last night
I wished on them but they were only satellites
It’s wrong to wish on space hardware
I wish, I wish, I wish you’d care

a couple of early Jam songs are pretty good too, but yeah, the lyrics of Sunday Morning are pretty bloody special

imagine writing just one definitive lyric like that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

that song, together with Billy Bragg's 'A New England' might just be my absolute favourite lyrics

a couple of early Jam songs are pretty good too, but yeah, the lyrics of Sunday Morning are pretty bloody special

imagine writing just one definitive lyric like that

Billy bloody Bragg! Trust you ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have a midday rule

Its not a hard and fast rule but can't think of many times when I would break it. Even on holiday in an all inclusive resort, I see people knocking back rum and cokes at 10am. I may have a shandy in the 40 degree Egyptian heat but usually just soft drinks until after lunch. 

3 hours ago, il_serpente said:

You can do both if you master the art of the midday, mid-bender power nap!

That said, I haven't even tried to do that in about 30 years.   Similar to mjmooney, we start Christmas morning with an aquavit and a beer, but then we're done until dinner time.

The nap makes me feel worse! :D

Â