Paul Lambert

limpid

Will be Sunderland manager by Christmas.

Not in a million years. Sherwood keeping us up and playing attacking football has pretty much scuppered any chance of Lambert going straight into another Premier League job.

It's amazing actually how much of an effect Sherwood could end up having on Lambert's career. Obviously this is all just speculation but if we had gone down under Sherwood and things continued as they are then Lambert might've been seen as a guy who kept Villa afloat for 2 seasons under difficult circumstances before eventually succumbing to sustained lack of investment. Instead, he's now seen by many as a failure who was clearly under-performing.

Edited by Mantis

Allardyce claims he's having a year out.

I can definitely see Lambert getting the job. I certainly think he'll be in the running if (when?) Advocaat gets the boot.

Lambert's reputation has been well and truly tarnished after his last season with us. No chance will he walk back into the Prem IMO. Likely to go to a team in the Championship and try and work back up (Brentford?)

The only place his reputation matters is in boardrooms, and none of us have any idea what football chairmen think of him. They might focus on the dismal, boring, failing, uninspiring football, or they might focus on his willingness to make do with no transfer budget to speak of and then never speak ill of his boss. Could go either way really. 

The only place his reputation matters is in boardrooms, and none of us have any idea what football chairmen think of him. They might focus on the dismal, boring, failing, uninspiring football, or they might focus on his willingness to make do with no transfer budget to speak of and then never speak ill of his boss. Could go either way really. 

Exactly.

A chairman may see him as somebody who was willing to work under financial constraints, didn't kick up a fuss, made a number of decent signings and kept a struggling team in the league for a few seasons.

We all know that there's more to it than that. But they may not.

If SUnderland are willing to appoint Paolo Di Canio then they're more than capable of appointing Paul Lambert

Doesn't look like he understands net spend.  Our transfer policy hasn't changed at all.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9965092/paul-lambert-surprised-at-aston-villa-transfer-policy-changes

Paul Lambert admits he is surprised at former club Aston Villa's change in transfer policy, which has seen them spend big money over the summer.

The Scot was sacked as Villa boss in February as the club battled against relegation from the Premier League, with Tim Sherwood taking over.

Chairman Randy Lerner had previously been reluctant to spend money in the transfer market but the club have made a number of signings during the window.

jordan-ayew-aston-villa_3340300.jpg?2015
Jordan Ayew signed for Aston Villa in the summer

The sales of Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph brought in around £40m but Villa moved quickly to re-invest that money, spending big on the likes of Jordan Amavi, Jordan Ayew, Idrissa Gueye and Jordan Veretout, among others.

Asked if it irked him that his old club have now decided to spend cash, Lambert told Sky Sports News HQ:  "It does a little bit. It makes me a laugh a little bit in the change in the policy but that's the way it is and good luck to Tim and Aston Villa in the future, whatever they want to do.

"Everybody has moved on and they have spent an awful lot of money.

tim-sherwood-aston-villa-manchester-unit
Tim Sherwood has re-invested in his Aston Villa squad over the summer

"Tim will be upbeat going into the season with the squad that he's got and hopefully they can go and do it. It has probably been stop-start for them but we'll see how it goes."

The former Norwich boss said he is now ready to get back into management after some time away from the dugout.

He has spent that time touring clubs in Europe and England, watching games and training, and said he would be open to following the likes of David Moyes abroad.

I think his reputation is lower in the eyes of Villa fans than it is everywhere else.

We're right. But that doesn't mean someone won't give him a job.

I don't think 'we' are right in having a lower reputation of him.  The remit he had here was far different from what he'll do anywhere else.  Norwich fans probably have a higher reputation of him than anyone else and theirs was a far more 'normal' employment term.  What he has shown is that with the right backing he is more than capable.  He lost it here at the end and there's probably no doubting he had to go, but it shouldn't define his career and I hope that it won't.

Doesn't look like he understands net spend.  Our transfer policy hasn't changed at all.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9965092/paul-lambert-surprised-at-aston-villa-transfer-policy-changes

Paul Lambert admits he is surprised at former club Aston Villa's change in transfer policy, which has seen them spend big money over the summer.

The Scot was sacked as Villa boss in February as the club battled against relegation from the Premier League, with Tim Sherwood taking over.

Chairman Randy Lerner had previously been reluctant to spend money in the transfer market but the club have made a number of signings during the window.

jordan-ayew-aston-villa_3340300.jpg?2015
Jordan Ayew signed for Aston Villa in the summer

The sales of Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph brought in around £40m but Villa moved quickly to re-invest that money, spending big on the likes of Jordan Amavi, Jordan Ayew, Idrissa Gueye and Jordan Veretout, among others.

Asked if it irked him that his old club have now decided to spend cash, Lambert told Sky Sports News HQ:  "It does a little bit. It makes me a laugh a little bit in the change in the policy but that's the way it is and good luck to Tim and Aston Villa in the future, whatever they want to do.

"Everybody has moved on and they have spent an awful lot of money.

tim-sherwood-aston-villa-manchester-unit
Tim Sherwood has re-invested in his Aston Villa squad over the summer

"Tim will be upbeat going into the season with the squad that he's got and hopefully they can go and do it. It has probably been stop-start for them but we'll see how it goes."

The former Norwich boss said he is now ready to get back into management after some time away from the dugout.

He has spent that time touring clubs in Europe and England, watching games and training, and said he would be open to following the likes of David Moyes abroad.

What a **** prick.  That's it.  Any respect I had for him has gone out the window. Hope he ends up like O'Leary.

I think his reputation is lower in the eyes of Villa fans than it is everywhere else.

I don't think 'we' are right in having a lower reputation of him.  The remit he had here was far different from what he'll do anywhere else.  Norwich fans probably have a higher reputation of him than anyone else and theirs was a far more 'normal' employment term.  What he has shown is that with the right backing he is more than capable.  He lost it here at the end and there's probably no doubting he had to go, but it shouldn't define his career and I hope that it won't.

What I meant was our opinion of his reign here is probably closer to the truth than non-villa fans may see it.

After his time here it would have to be a desperate team with no other options for this useless bastard to get the job.

Big Sam and Pearson will be above him for any early jobs that appear.

I can see him disappearing quite quickly.

What I meant was our opinion of his reign here is probably closer to the truth than non-villa fans may see it.

Ah OK.  Because it reads as a more general opinion of the manager.

Â