Paul Lambert

limpid

He's in Qatar at the moment on BeIn Sports with Richard Keys and Andy Gray. Seems to be accepting no responsibility in our results and style of play under his management, called the walk from the tunnel to the dugout 'the green mile' and questioned what else he could do when working for a guy that just wasn't interested anymore. 

One thing I noticed about him was when he was talking about meeting Klopp and Guardiola during his recent visit to Germany was that he seemed like a competition winner that had won a trip to Germany. He said that they were really nice and took a few minutes to talk to him. Both were class acts and it was a "fantastic experience". Maybe I'm reading more into it than I should, but I should couldn't imagine Sherwood acting in the same way. Obviously their stature in the game is higher, but I get the feeling that he'd see them as peers and would want mutual respect, not someone that was grateful that they knew his name.

Maybe that's the losing mentality right there?  

"Took a few minutes to talk to him"

**** me, you were a Premier League manager. Massive loser and totally of his own making in my opinion. What happened to the phenomenal player Paul Lambert?

Imagine Sherwood in the same situation. 

"Yeah, it was a great experience....

....for them"

;)

• Like 1

Anyone else hear what he just said during halftime? Richard Keys mentioned West Ham beating Arsenal last weekend. Lambert said that we (Villa) did that to Arsenal a couple of seasons back. He then said "when you go to a big club in the season you know you don't have much chance, but if you catch them at the right time then you might have a chance".

I don't know if I'm being overly critical but it does sound like loser talk to me.

• Like 3

Dont blame him for speaking up, it must be galling seeing Sherwood being given big money & wages because of the benteke money which was thanks to Paul Lambert.

I dont get the hate for him tbh

Agree to a point. A lot of people are reacting to a headline too when even the article in the Evening Mail gives context to the quotes. I didn't see the broadcast and I do think it was right to sack Lambert (in fact he should probably have gone earlier) but I still quite like the guy. He got a raw deal here. I'm sure he'll win the SPL with his old club Celtic at some point and get his reputation back. Good luck to him.

edit:  

Mobile browser multi post ftw. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Dont blame him for speaking up, it must be galling seeing Sherwood being given big money & wages because of the benteke money which was thanks to Paul Lambert.

I would feel sorry for him, but then I remember that if he had stayed and Sherwood hadn't come in we'd probably be in the Championship now. If Lambert wanted a chance to spend big money he should've kept us out of relegation trouble.

• Like 3

I would feel sorry for him, but then I remember that if he had stayed and Sherwood hadn't come in we'd probably be in the Championship now. If Lambert wanted a chance to spend big money he should've kept us out of relegation trouble.

I dont feel sorry for him, I thought he was a terrible manager, but like I said, I dont get the hate

He isnt putting the club down, infact he still speaks of us quite well and he is right what he said, how can you move the club away from relegation places when your working under an owner who has no interest in whether we finished 8th or 17th.

• Like 2

First season we played some decent stuff but a few batterings made him reconsider his approach and we got more and more cautious as time went on. I think he has enough about him to make a good manager at the right club. Could do with a step down to the Championship or a trip abroad to rebuild his reputation.

I think he is only making himself sound a bit bitter at the moment

He probably is quite bitter about how it worked for him here though, a young manager, who had done good jobs at his previous clubs, exceptional job at Norwich joins Aston Villa, a club on its knees needing a young, bright forward thinking manager to try and pick it back up and he ends up having the second worst* record of any manager here

*I believe billy McNeil is still the worst on paper

• Like 1

I really wanted it to work out for the bloke from day one and it took a long time for me to be in the Lamberk out camp. Now when i look back at them 2 1/2 seasons i realise how much my willingness for him to do well pulled the wool over my eyes. Now everytime i hear him talk about us, he just sounds bitter and wants to blame everyone else but himself for some of the shit we served up in those seasons.

Obviously there were a couple of good things that came from his time like Benteke and errrrrrr.......well just signing Benteke

On a whole it was just disaster after disaster with the bloke with the odd good result, shit football. The worst for me was the way he thought we were all stupid and would come out with comments like we played really well and didnt deserve to lose after heavy defeats....

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

I dont feel sorry for him, I thought he was a terrible manager, but like I said, I dont get the hate

He isnt putting the club down, infact he still speaks of us quite well and he is right what he said, how can you move the club away from relegation places when your working under an owner who has no interest in whether we finished 8th or 17th.

The worst football and results a lot of fans had ever seen their club produce. Thats where the hate comes from.

• Like 1

The worst football and results a lot of fans had ever seen their club produce. Thats where the hate comes from.

Still dont get the hate. He was a terrible manager for us under mitigating circumstances. I dont hate him for doing the job he was clearly brought in to do, to keep us in the premier league, which he did.

You can hate him all you like, I just dont see the point tbh

• Like 1

Anyone else hear what he just said during halftime? Richard Keys mentioned West Ham beating Arsenal last weekend. Lambert said that we (Villa) did that to Arsenal a couple of seasons back. He then said "when you go to a big club in the season you know you don't have much chance, but if you catch them at the right time then you might have a chance".

I don't know if I'm being overly critical but it does sound like loser talk to me.

yes youre being over critical lol.What he said is pretty much spot on. Of course you (mostly) need top 4 to have an off day to beat them.

Â