Paul Lambert

limpid

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

We played some exciting stuff in his first season. I thought we could build on that, but sadly we only got worse. The signings got worse too

I think that bit is what ruined Lambert's time here. We did look decent under him at times. Plus Lambert helped turn Benteke, Vlaar, Guzan, and Delph into good players, but you need to surround these players with other good players. Lambert was unable to. Instead Lambert was forced to take risks with his minuscule transfer budget and buy the likes of Tonev, Holman, Sylla, and El Hamadi who did not work out. 

Not saying Lambert's issues were solely down to lack of transfer budget, but I think it played a decent part of it. We were a club with a couple of decent players who were keeping our head above water with a lot of players who were keeping up down. 

Yes unforgiveable from Lerner not backing his manager more after that first season. I just think if Lambert had had the type of money that was spent this summer he would have used it far more wisely. Vlaar and Benteke were proof that when given decent money he could get gems. 

I'm no fan of Lambert but it is a very good point and I look back at that transfer window with more regret than the last two.

We ended 2012-13 with a bit of momentum (6-1 v Sunderland and other good wins) and we genuinely had a good attack with Benteke (who u turned and signed a new deal after wanting to leave), Gabby and Weimann.

Now if we'd signed that fabled number 10 (Belhanda and Koyiake were both seriously linked that summer) and another wide striker and also another good centre half for when Vlaar couldn't play for the 20 or so million we spent on KEA, Bacuna, Kozak, Luna etc, I think we'd have been comfortable mid table and finally could've started building back for a place in the top half on a consistent basis.

Lerner hadn't quite given up at that point but alas another missed opportunity. 

• Like 2

He spent 7 million on Kozak, ive no sympathy for the guy. Its not that hard to organise a defence especially when you have 3 seasons of trying. I have no time for Allardyce or Pulis but they left West Ham and Stoke in a much healthier place than Lambert ever left us

• Like 3

On 29 April 2016 at 22:41, VillaChris said:

I'm no fan of Lambert but it is a very good point and I look back at that transfer window with more regret than the last two.

We ended 2012-13 with a bit of momentum (6-1 v Sunderland and other good wins) and we genuinely had a good attack with Benteke (who u turned and signed a new deal after wanting to leave), Gabby and Weimann.

Now if we'd signed that fabled number 10 (Belhanda and Koyiake were both seriously linked that summer) and another wide striker and also another good centre half for when Vlaar couldn't play for the 20 or so million we spent on KEA, Bacuna, Kozak, Luna etc, I think we'd have been comfortable mid table and finally could've started building back for a place in the top half on a consistent basis.

Lerner hadn't quite given up at that point but alas another missed opportunity. 

For all lerners penny pinching, that summer set the club back £20million quid plus God knows what on wages

instead of letting lambert sign 3/4 £5million players on 50k a week to improve the side, instead we sign 6 players on £20/30k a week each, none of which have contributed anyway shape or form to Aston Villa.

false economy. Truly run by retards.

Edited by Jimzk5

On 30/04/2016 at 04:44, Zatman said:

He spent 7 million on Kozak, ive no sympathy for the guy. Its not that hard to organise a defence especially when you have 3 seasons of trying. I have no time for Allardyce or Pulis but they left West Ham and Stoke in a much healthier place than Lambert ever left us

HE spent the money on Kozak (it was £5m by the way)

Yet Sherwood gets no blame for his spending.

Double standards. Either they're both responsible for transfers or neither of them are. You can't have it both ways to suit your agenda

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

HE spent the money on Kozak (it was £5m by the way)

Yet Sherwood gets no blame for his spending.

Double standards. Either they're both responsible for transfers or neither of them are. You can't have it both ways to suit your agenda

well we still have no proof that Lambert worked with a transfer committee when he appointed his mate Gary Karsa as Director of Football Operations so I would say he had more power than Sherwood did. Also think Faulkner was a lot more hands off than Fox

Those are some top assumptions that just happen to go along with your agenda.

It's pointless debating. You contradict yourself depending on which manager you're talking about.

You hate him so much that you criticise him for the exact same things you defend your boy Sherwood for.

As always, Zat, you twist reality to suit your agenda.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You hate him so much that you criticise him for the exact same things you defend your boy Sherwood for.

As always, Zat, you twist reality to suit your agenda.

nope Sherwood never made me hate watching Villa games. for as bad as this season has been the Hull game last season was the most disgraceful any Villa team has ever player

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

nope Sherwood never made me hate watching Villa games. for as bad as this season has been the Hull game last season was the most disgraceful any Villa team has ever player

Yeah that wasn't what he said at all.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah that wasn't what he said at all.

of course but he hasnt once told me about this magical Paul Lambert transfer committee he worked with ;)

He worked with a CEO and a head scout. That's as much of a committee as Tim had.

Do you think Lambert went to Belgium and scouted Benteke on his own? 

Or did he identify his needs, get presented with options and come to a decision on the players he wanted?

Probably the latter. Which is exactly as Sherwood operated.

Nothing change with how we conducted transfers between lambert and Sherwood.

If you blame Lambert for signings, then you have to blame Sherwood for the worst transfer window the club has ever seen.

But you won't, despite the fact you'll be completely contradicting yourself. But we're used to that.

• 3 months later...

Lambert was fantasy football club with Merton and  max talking about his time at villa. Said Lerner made the job difficult and changed the goal posts after second season. Said we only paid 7m euros for Tekkers and 900,000k for Ashley Westwood. You would have to say considering the shitty constraints Lerner imposed lambert didn't do too bad with the money he had. He was just shit after a while. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lambert was fantasy football club with Merton and  max talking about his time at villa. Said Lerner made the job difficult and changed the goal posts after second season. Said we only paid 7m euros for Tekkers and 900,000k for Ashley Westwood. You would have to say considering the shitty constraints Lerner imposed lambert didn't do too bad with the money he had. He was just shit after a while. 

He looked about 10 years younger as well. His time at Villa really took it out of him. He came across as very intelligent, I still feel he was the potentially the right man for us, just at completely the wrong time.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Overall I wouldn't say he was as terrible as some here make out. The final season was a total implosion, but prior to that he did a half decent job given the resources he had. 

Â