Paul Lambert

limpid

I'd love to know if him not having an assistant for a big chunk of the season was down to him or someone above him as it has proven to be a major factor in why things have gone so bad.

Is it at all possible that having other coaches and a manager would have impacted on his transfer budget? If so, maybe he thought he could do without in exchange for a few extra quid to play with.

I'd love to know if him not having an assistant for a big chunk of the season was down to him or someone above him as it has proven to be a major factor in why things have gone so bad.

Is it at all possible that having other coaches and a manager would have impacted on his transfer budget? If so, maybe he thought he could do without in exchange for a few extra quid to play with.

That is how low it went. Having no backroom staff to save some pennies. Running the club like a pub team. 

Really liked and wanted him to do well. We showed glimpses of a bright future under him, but since early 2014, its just been terrible. Whether he lost the squad, or whether the players are to blame, I just don't know. The downturn all seemed to coincide with the departure of his assistants, and perhaps the circumstances around that de-stabilised the squad.

Unlike some of our previous managers, he never once said anything to antagonise the fans. People got frustrated with the "we go again", but I think he handled himself with dignity and class throughout, his interviews may have been uninspiring but his message was always consistent i.e. onwards and hopefully upwards. He also never really made a big deal of the fact his hands were tied in terms of budget, partly because I think he had the self belief that he could make a success of things with limited funds.

In the end his position was untenable, and there is no doubt he had to go. If he'd managed to get a result against Hull, then maybe we would have gone on a good run and he would have hung on a bit longer. If he has stayed in the job longer than he could/should have because he wanted to be paid, then good luck to him. Who knows when he will get another job. I like to think he stayed because he was always desperate to make it a success.

Aston Villa is fast becoming a graveyard for (young) promising managers - Little, Gregory, O'Leary, Lambert (you could even say MON and McLeish) - none of these have gone on to do anything much. We are no longer a stepping stone club for a manager (e.g. Pochetinno used Southampton as a stepping stone to a bigger club), instead we are a club that most managers with a decent reputation will want to avoid as it will probably destroy them. I'd love to have a manager who does so well with us that they then go on to be linked with jobs at "bigger" clubs or even England. It would at least be a sign that we must be doing well. For this reason, someone like Sherwood, who has nothing to lose, is probably the best we can do.

Lambert gave up a good thing at Norwich, but it was his choice. I suspect he would have stayed at Norwich if he had his time over again.

Its shame it didn't work out, but I wish him all the best.

• Like 4

Absolute Class.

In a weird way I'll miss him. I really, really wanted it to work.

Nice guy, classy statement, but I won't miss him in the least. His dour, uninspiring and at times heartbreaking brand of football will be etched into my memory for far too long. On the pitch it was as bad as anything McLeish produced and I won't be missing him either.

I held my tongue and showed support for a very, very long time. But basically since the start of LAST season we have been almost unwatchable, yet watch we have. A car crash in slow motion.

Good luck, thanks for rebuilding the squad and good **** riddence. I hope we are never this bad to watch again. I think that's unlikely.

• Like 3

That is how low it went. Having no backroom staff to save some pennies. Running the club like a pub team. 

Except it is not the slightest bit true?

It's just a question some guy has asked on a message board.

• Like 1

Really liked and wanted him to do well. We showed glimpses of a bright future under him, but since early 2014, its just been terrible. Whether he lost the squad, or whether the players are to blame, I just don't know. The downturn all seemed to coincide with the departure of his assistants, and perhaps the circumstances around that de-stabilised the squad.

Unlike some of our previous managers, he never once said anything to antagonise the fans. People got frustrated with the "we go again", but I think he handled himself with dignity and class throughout, his interviews may have been uninspiring but his message was always consistent i.e. onwards and hopefully upwards. He also never really made a big deal of the fact his hands were tied in terms of budget, partly because I think he had the self belief that he could make a success of things with limited funds.

In the end his position was untenable, and there is no doubt he had to go. If he'd managed to get a result against Hull, then maybe we would have gone on a good run and he would have hung on a bit longer. If he has stayed in the job longer than he could/should have because he wanted to be paid, then good luck to him. Who knows when he will get another job. I like to think he stayed because he was always desperate to make it a success.

Aston Villa is fast becoming a graveyard for (young) promising managers - Little, Gregory, O'Leary, Lambert (you could even say MON and McLeish) - none of these have gone on to do anything much. We are no longer a stepping stone club for a manager (e.g. Pochetinno used Southampton as a stepping stone to a bigger club), instead we are a club that most managers with a decent reputation will want to avoid as it will probably destroy them. I'd love to have a manager who does so well with us that they then go on to be linked with jobs at "bigger" clubs or even England. It would at least be a sign that we must be doing well. For this reason, someone like Sherwood, who has nothing to lose, is probably the best we can do.

Lambert gave up a good thing at Norwich, but it was his choice. I suspect he would have stayed at Norwich if he had his time over again.

Its shame it didn't work out, but I wish him all the best.

I don't think he would. He wanted to test himself at a big club and I am sorry, compared to Norwich we are a massive club.

Just sorry it didn't work out for him.

Absolute Class.

Nice guy, classy statement, but I won't miss him in the least. His dour, uninspiring and at times heartbreaking brand of football will be etched into my memory for far too long. On the pitch it was as bad as anything McLeish produced and I won't be missing him either.

I held my tongue and showed support for a very, very long time. But basically since the start of LAST season we have been almost unwatchable, yet watch we have. A car crash in slow motion.

Good luck, thanks for rebuilding the squad and good **** riddence. I hope we are never this bad to watch again. I think that's unlikely.

I won't miss his football. That's a whole other kettle of fish.

That statement really is the act of a man of class, and I commend him for it. I said yesterday that he seemed like a nice bloke, and that confirms it for me. I do wish him well, and I hope that his cavalcade of unwanted records and the wave of derision he departed on don't damage him too much in the future. I fear they will though. 

Absolute Class.

I won't miss his football. That's a whole other kettle of fish.

The football is the main thing though, at least for me. I gave up McDonald's about 2 years back, I don't miss it just because it had comfy chairs. The food was awful, still is I imagine.

I still miss O'Neill and a *part* of that was that I like his personality, so I do get what you mean. O'Neill struck me as a winner, he inspired confidence in us and he was both witty and aloof in perfect balance. But as I said, that was just the seat we sat on. If we were gash on the pitch (not to everyone's taste I know) I'd not feel the same. I'd not miss him at all. I can still enjoy his personality occasionally when the world cup swings around.

Doubt we will be seeing Lambert in a studio any time soon.

That statement really is the act of a man of class, and I commend him for it. I said yesterday that he seemed like a nice bloke, and that confirms it for me. I do wish him well, and I hope that his cavalcade of unwanted records and the wave of derision he departed on don't damage him too much in the future. I fear they will though. 

I think he'll bounce back. He's young and I expect him to rebuild his reputation in the Championship - I'd be surprised if he was still unemployed in September.

Really like the man, still thought he could turn it around despite how poor we have been lately. Maybe it's just because I wanted him to be successful here so much.

Wish him the very best for whatever he goes on to do and hope his career is a successful one.

Edited by chappy

We will be lucky to find another manger with the honesty, integrity and all round class that this guy had.

Never been this gutted about a manger going, even though I know it's 100% the right thing for all concerned.

• Like 1

Â