Paul Lambert

limpid

I'm rather amazed (not because I do or don't want Lambert here)(sorry donnie).

Whether or not people think he's done well or badly, I find it a little strange that, if the club is up for sale (which it publicly still is) (sd), the present owner decides to tie the management team in to a four year contract.

I'm not sure that it means 'stability' - doesn't Pardew have a contract expiring in 2020?.

Edit: Good luck to him all the same and I hope we carry on our start to the season.

Edited by snowychap

The club seem to get more unprofessional by the day, I'm glad we seem to be doing alright on the pitch.

^^^

My thoughts. Pretty sure our bubble will burst soon enough.

How is running a football club like a business (and protecting its assets)(sorry donnie) unprofessional?

Good on him I guess. In all honesty, two years of treading water at best, going backwards at worst. 

His first two years have been characterised by a certain stubbornness, persisting with players and formations that weren't working. Persisting with a coaching staff that were apparently creating problems in the background. 

We shouldn't forget he's a young manager though and will make mistakes. 

I really hope (and I suspect) that he has played a part in the the marked shift in philosophy this season, namely signing established premier league players and appointing an assistant in Roy Keane who is most definitely not a 'yes man'. So good for him, I think he is learning and adapting and it's the right thing to do to extend his contract. 

I really do think this is madness. Ok, nobody can argue that we look a lot better. But it is 4 games. That is it! 4 games, 2 in which we were pretty poor in (1 absolutely dreadful) and add to that the humiliation by lower league opposition once again in the cup.

I've always been in the 'keep lambert' camp, however a lot of this was based on the hopeless chance of replacing him with better.

Is the turn in form just sheer start of season good form ala hull (under brown), Blackpool etc? How much influence has keane had? Will he stick around for the 4 years? Could he be replaced if he is vital?

So many reasons why we could have gone 4 games unbeaten at the start of the season. Sadly, Paul lambert finally forming a beautiful partnership with aston villa isn't the only reason and 4 games is nowhere near long enough to call it!!

• Like 4

I've always been in the 'keep lambert' camp, however a lot of this was based on the hopeless chance of replacing him with better.

Same here. But that's a very good reason to keep him!

I'm overjoyed that he's extended it. Not because of four games, but because of what he's done to the squad over three years with next to no money.

Considering the freakishly bad luck with injuries last season, our squad has got steadily better every year since he came along, particularly this summer.

UTV!

• Like 1

It's wrong to presume that this was based on a four-game unbeaten run, as if our front office is so reactionary and compulsive. Fox said that--before he even started--Lambert and Lerner were working on an extension.

Might as well leave the facts out of it, some people just like to believe their own bullshit. 

• Like 1

We should keep Lambert because:

- he had to work under financial restraints?

- he had a good start to the season?

- it makes us more stable?

None of those are good enough reasons or valid excuses - especially the stability one considering the club is up for sale.

We should keep Lambert because:

- our play is improving?

- overall results warrant a longer contract?

- our squad's ability has enhanced?

These are valid reasons. And, imo, he hasn't proved any of them yet.

Best case - Lambert's been promised funds and either investment has been put in or new owners want Lambert to continue.

Worst case - Lambert's happy to work under the same restrictions and Lerner's delighted to have someone willing to do it.

No idea which one reality is closest to. I'll guess we'll find out next summer.

Those scenarios are basically win/win to the contract extension then.

Also, as an aside, is Lerner staying really such a bad thing? The club has been terribly mismanaged and now put back on the right track. If Lerner ran the club properly and gave reasonable funds to spend in the transfer windows, would it be a bad thing? (Big IF, I get that).

If I could trust Lerner to continue to run us properly and increase funds then no its not a bad thing. But I don't. And if he's gone from wanting out to being committed again in a few months who knows how he'll feel in another few months.

TBH I just want him gone.

Well he'll fit in well here - fickle just like some fans - One minute we are shite, players and manager are shite  next it's an about turn. Finally Lerner has become a fan and acting like one! :P

Not particularly impressed with Lambert's overall job at Villa so far, but totally behind extending him. No manager should be left in the last year of his contract if you want a somewhat stable environment. 4 years is a bit more than expected, but then again, as people have already pointed out this is a win-win whether there's a takeover or not, so whatever. 

Now let's have a couple of games in which we crack the 50% possession and 5 shots on target please? 

I think some people are looking at this way too deeply.

Lambert's remit was to oversee things whilst the wage bill was cut. He's done that and now only has a couple of the big earners, who will leave soon, to go. Then, it was to keep us in the league whilst doing this, which he's also achieved.

We are now into the third season and Lambert's transfer policy has changed and he's done a great job in the summer and found himself with an experienced team and a good start to the season but, I think the contract is about the start to the season. I think it's for two reasons. Achieving the goals set in his first two years and to stave off interest from other suitors, such as Newcastle.

Lambert may not be everybody's cup of tea but I am sure there'll be many Chairmen out there who are thinking that he'd be great for their clubs.

I think we should just all be happy with our we're doing doing and let the club get on with doing well right now.

• Like 3

Â