Paul Lambert

limpid

I may be in a minority of one, but I'd actually like to see Lambert given a chance with a bit of money to spend. He has worked miracles to keep this club in the premier league with 22 year old league one players, and I can't help but feel that for a load of major injuries this season we'd be comfortably mid-table, which I'd be happy with given the circumstances.

Get some new owners in, give Lambert a bit of money to add quality rather than quantity to the squad and let's see where we go from there.

No, let's not. His purchases have been mostly shocking, and his style of football even worse. Dreadful manager, and the thought of him inflicting further damage by wasting a new owner's money is terrifying.

• Like 1

He's going to walk.

I don't think so. Why would he walk and lose a years money - unless he has had an approach? As it stands rightly or wrongly he is damaged goods and I cannot see him getting another job in the Premier League for the foreseeable future.

I may be in a minority of one, but I'd actually like to see Lambert given a chance with a bit of money to spend. He has worked miracles to keep this club in the premier league with 22 year old league one players, and I can't help but feel that for a load of major injuries this season we'd be comfortably mid-table, which I'd be happy with given the circumstances. 

Get some new owners in, give Lambert a bit of money to add quality rather than quantity to the squad and let's see where we go from there.

His tactics are bad ( just look at the Spurs game ) and he buys players that he rarely uses.Worst of all he is a yes man.Now he is saying that a club like Villa need more investment and deserves to be higher up the table, so it took him 2 seasons to work that out ?

Lambert  out.Its too high a risk keeping him.

• Like 1

If a manager as poor as Lambert walks then we are in real trouble.

He may not be a great manager, but I think he's slightly better than he's been made to look here.  He'll not stick around to have himself made to look any worse.

• Like 2

I'm with you on this one.  I want Lambert to stay on and be backed substantially just to see if he is capable of unearthing another couple of gems.  You have to admit he signed some decent players with good potential, Westwood, Bacuna, Okore even Kozak to an extent.  We all know about Benteke as well.  Every manager has signed duds and Lambert is no different - hell SAF signed Taibi, Djemba Djemba, Veron, Kleberson and Forlan just off the top off my head who flopped.  But lets see what the next few weeks brings us.

• Like 2

He's going to walk.

I don't think so. Why would he walk and lose a years money - unless he has had an approach? As it stands rightly or wrongly he is damaged goods and I cannot see him getting another job in the Premier League for the foreseeable future.

maybe he could go back to Norwich.

not uncommon after a fall out to make up and re-hire him.

He's going to walk.

Can't see it as much as I want him to.

His reputation has been severely damaged not only with his performance at our club but his chief lieutenants have been put on gardening leave pending an investigation.

If he walks now leaving a club in turmoil because that's what it is after Lerner's statement then no other Premiership club would touch him with a barged pole.

The way I see it he will stick for the time being either using the excuse that the new owners wanted their own man or if given more money he will try to buy himself out of trouble.

The problem is he will still want to play with the big man up top and any better players coming in will still be stifled with Lambert's preferred system.

He is one lucky, lucky man at the moment and really if he plays it right only an idiot would **** it up again.

He's going to walk.

Can't see it as much as I want him to.

His reputation has been severely damaged not only with his performance at our club but his chief lieutenants have been put on gardening leave pending an investigation.

If he walks now leaving a club in turmoil because that's what it is after Lerner's statement then no other Premiership club would touch him with a barged pole.

The way I see it he will stick for the time being either using the excuse that the new owners wanted their own man or if given more money he will try to buy himself out of trouble.

The problem is he will still want to play with the big man up top and any better players coming in will still be stifled with Lambert's preferred system.

He is one lucky, lucky man at the moment and really if he plays it right only an idiot would **** it up again.

I'm not saying this is the correct tactical way forward, but I seem to recall a certain Chelsea team doing quite well with the 'big man up top' some years ago. Also I certainly don't for a second think that it will hinder us from getting better players. Having Lambert in charge on the other hand...

Our squad is probably the worst we've had for a generation, but can you honestly say that without Benteke/N'Zogbia we'd have been worrying about relegation? I doubt it. Lambert does not inspire much confidence, and has been inconsistent for us, but he's done a much better job than his two predecessors considering the circumstances (and that's coming from somebody who thinks Houllier was alright).

Our main problem is an owner who gave us a lot of money but didn't really know what he was doing with it. I respect Lerner's motives but his execution as our chairman has overall been very poor. The truth is we are still suffering from an almighty hangover from the O'Neill days, who let's be honest, pretty much ran the club on and off the pitch during his time.

Our supporters. Well, they can be good, as shown today. Our away fans by and large are one of the best sets in the league.

Our home fans are probably amongst the worst though. You can try and justify it, but the atmosphere the young Villa players play under is toxic. It is not their fault if they are not good enough. The likes of Joe Bennett getting dog's abuse on Twitter displays the complete and utter lack of understanding some fans have. We will not get better if our players are made to play in such a negative and pressured environment. We will continue to regress. The players look completely abject of confidence and you can tell that the biggest contributor to that is the fans.

Our home record since since December 2011 reads:

Played 51, Won 12, Drawn 13, Lost 26. Think about it.

We do well against big teams because the pressure is off (as well as the fact we are good on the break), but when expectations are high at home when we play a bottom 12 club, the support (if there was any in the first place) completely switches off after 25 minutes if we haven't had a dominant spell. You've got to understand how limited our team is. Without Benteke or Kozak and N'Zogbia we probably genuinely have the least creative midfield in the Prem and the worst striking force beyond perhaps Cardiff and at a stretch Fulham. Our defence is hardly something to shout about either. We are still in a period of transition believe it or not because our books still need to be massively balanced. Lambert has not been brilliant in his transfers by any means, but look around at other clubs and there are few who have been much better.

I'm afraid that people need to accept that we are not a big club anymore, we fulfill absolutely no criteria. If you can't attract big players to the club, you are not a big club. You have to be realistic. If our fans got behind the players at home we'd be nowhere near relegation, our results would improve, and so would our opinion of the players/manager. It is a scientific fact that people respond better to support than criticism, Villa fans are living proof of this.

Some people don't get how the psyche works

Watched the game yesterday. Our fans cheered all afternoon. What was the result.

We get how the psyche works. Defend Lambert at all costs instead of admitting you were wrong about him.

That's really not the point at all.

Nobody is defending Lambert at all costs, perhaps supporting the players at all costs might help a little bit though, particularly at home.

You can't isolate one away game where everybody was singing to say some of our fans need to reassess why they decide to go and watch Villa. There are so many people around me in the Doug Ellis who have absolutely nothing but a negative impact on the players and therefore club. Wake up and stop defending people who contribute to our downfall.

I'm not wrong about Lambert because I've always been apathetic towards his abilities, knowing that our problems run far deeper.

I find the whole thing really bazaar. Each scenario has massive implications.

- New owner; lambert stays or goes. Simple, but huge in terms of our club and moving forward.

- Up for sale with no new owner in the pipeline - what is that for Lambert? He walks? He stays knowing he could be sacked ASAP as soon as new owners are here? If he stays, how can he convince two coaches to join given the uncertainty?

Tricky situation for the mumbling bozo. Walk of his own volition, and he waves goodbye to a year's worth of salary. Stay on too long and he risks missing out on another team being mad enough to give him a job.

Wonder when will we hear from him? In my opinion he is in a far better position than a lot of people think. Why would he walk? He still has time on his contract, there is no guarantee the new owners will not want him, in my opinion he has done reasonable well with the money he has spent and I'd imagine if you were to put all the players he bought up at auction today you would make a healthy enough profit. Lerner will (in my opinion) give him a glowing recommendation to any new owner as well I would imagine. 

I think Lambert has done a resonable job given his restrictions. I don't think he has done a great job and I don't think he has done a terrrible job, he has done an average job with little money which is what he was brought in to do.

If we get a warchest from new owners I would prefer we hired a manager who has a proven record when it comes to spending money. If the new owners want to continue in the same vein with limited investment then Lambert is probably as good as any other manager working on a limited budget.

Can't see Lerner getting rid, it will be left up to the new regime. I have a feeling everything will be in stasis until a new owner is in.

I am hopeful we are already in the process but if we have no offers in the pipeline we could struggle next season obviously.

• Like 1

He has no future at the club and rightly so

Any manager with the record he has would have been sacked long ago

Hopefully we get taken over sooner rather than later so a new man can come in with a new direction get the team to do the basics right and cut out the schoolboy errors

Â