Paul Lambert

limpid

The bloke called him Lamberk apparently

Ha ha ha ha , can't believe nobody has used that on VT yet

I suspect "Lamberk Out" will be painted on a bed sheet at the Chelsea game. I am also hedging to bet that this supporter was chanting Paul Lambert's C&B army at Carrow Road two years ago.

If you hurl abuse at any member of Villa staff I have no problem with said member of Villa staff giving some back. Fair play to Lambert for showing fight and passion and ramming it down a boo-boy's throat. It's amazing how these precious flowers act all shocked and hurt when the nasty Villa boss has a go back at them - they are an embarrassment to themselves as well as the club. It would be great if these neanderthals cleared off and followed another club.

The difference is lambert is a professional and should act as such, if some bellend in the crowd is an idiot then what can you do? They're in every ground in the world but as a manager to turn around and act like that (allegedly) because we went ahead is pretty petty imo.

You think any manager in the league doesnt get abuse from the fans nearby when things aren't going so well? You dont see anyone else turning around to a fan acting all smug because they've actually finally won a game.

And how do you know that? The fact that the media haven't picked it up could mean it happens time and time again but we never hear of it.

Saturday. Alan Pardew headbutts a Hull player. There are people in the Newcastle thread actually saying they'd like to see that from Lambert rather than the "dross" he (personally?) serves up week in week out and his boring press conferences.

Sunday. We score 4 goals in 16 minutes and Lambert has a go back at a fan who is goading him. "Lambert out!".

• Like 2

Well i can understand a fan getting frustrated at the start we made and to be fair the home form we have endured for 3 years now would have tested the patience of a saint. 

However i cannot understand someone sitting within earshot of the bench and hurling abuse as this will be heard by the subs too and can only be damaging... I cannot understand why any "Fan" would do such during a game although acknowledge that many have reached breaking point with our home form.

As for Lambert reacting in the way he did well i will refrain from comment as i wasn't party to what was said to him and whether this guy has maybe been goading him for weeks or months even...

At the end of the day though if you play with fire..........

I think with Martinez, he's a very astute man, he knew the job in hand here and not many would take it on, you have to reduce the wage bill and rebuild. Now if you look at Everton, they were a settled squad, that back 5 of his hasn't changed, he's added a few quality players and he's done a very good job. I just think whoever took this job on would have struggled due to the running of the whole club. OGS has potential to be a good manager but he's tried to change too much at Cardiff for me too quickly.

• Like 2

If Tan wasn't such a mentalist you'd think they got Ole as long term, to bring them out of the Championship and build something there. Tan is a mentalist though so if they go down he might get the boot, which won't be all that great for his development as a manager.

FWIW I think the Villa job might have gone better for Ole than Cardiff, but I think it would have been too soon though. A year or too in the championship or lower building a side will do him the world of good. His experience at Man U meant he got to see the development of a few good sides under Ferguson both as a player and a coach. 

Martinez would have struggled here IMO, especially when the task in hand was to so dramatically cut the wages and survive then "go again". 

What we needed, was someone prepared to totally rebuild a squad with very little to spend per player in fees and wages that could keep us in the league. It looks like that is what we have got. I still fancy us to finish higher than last year so he's kept us in the league and radically rebuilt the squad, slashing the cost of the playing staff and keeping us int eh league at the same time.

What we need now is someone who can build a more competitive team on these foundations, someone thinking long term who will integrate our home grown players with new signings that will see us move up the league for a year or two. I see no reason why that person isn't Lambert too.

• Like 4

Something that made me think over the weekend...

I'm not convinced by Lambert, our lack of consistency is a huge issue.

When he was appointed, I was relatively happy. He wasn't my first choice.

What has really made me think is that my first choice, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, looks to be out of his depth at Cardiff...perhaps 'out of his depth' isn't the right way to describe it, more 'the ship was already beyond recuse when he arrived'. Another favourite to take the job was Roberto Martinez, although he never really wanted the job. I have met Martinez a few times through work and he is a top bloke, but I wasn't convinced about him succeeding at Villa...but he's managed to do very well at Everton.

As much as I am unhappy with Lambert at present, it really has made me think about whether the grass is greener. Yes, Martinez May have done wonders here, which is not what I would've thought, but the guy I would have chosen, the guy I was gutted decided to turn us down, could actually have struggled far more than Lambert has.

Conclusion?! I should never pick our managers, but I want some improvement from Lambert.

Its hard to say on ogs, I wasn't overwhelmed when we were linked with him.

Obviously can't say for sure but I think if he'd of taken the job then he wouldn't still be here now. He just doesn't look like a strong enough character to me.

I wouldn't say the Cardiff job was beyond repair when he went in but they seem to be going down without a fight.

Edited by The_Lions_Roar

I was (as most) really excited about OGS but I do think that whilst he can someday become a good manager he's just much too unproven and lacks experience. We probably dodged a bullet there.

OGS would have been a huge mistake and I was dead against it at the time. It was madness. Two years ago he had been managing for a couple of years at a level no higher than League One in this country. In no way was he qualified to take on the job here. His playing reputation was what helped link him to the job here and for me what got him the job as Cardiff manager.

He is going to have to take a couple of steps back and prove himself at Championship level before he gets anywhere near to managing a Prem club again. I doubt very much Cardiff will keep him on though.

Lambert has made mistakes but under OGS we'd have been playing Championship football now. Of the choices it seems we had at the time Lambert was still for me the right one.

• Like 1

Martinez would have taken us down last season, not because he's a bad manager (quite the opposite in my eyes by the way as I think he's a very skilled Manager) but because we do not have the playing staff to adapt to a passing game and there weren't the funds available for him to revamp the squad.

I'd imagine that this is how he would have weighed it up too and therefore quite rightly decided to distance himself from us, in terms of club stature I think we would have been of immense interest to him.

I still like Lambert though the initial excitement over his appointment has of course waned, for me if we finish 10th - 12th then there is some modicum of progress which is all we're really asking for, okay some of the performances, particularly at home have been abhorrent but then I'd imagine that every team south of Everton in the league could/would say the same as we've all struggled for consistency to some degree or another (Man Utd have had some awful home performances, likewise Newcastle and even Southampton, who have been much lauded again this season).

Defence is tighter and although we've not scored as freely the goals have at least been shared around a bit more with Delph, El Ahmadi and Bacuna all chipping in with a few each.

Easy to be more positive after winning a game 4-1 naturally but I do think we're progressing, just about, and given the documented reduction in wages etc we should hopefully find ourselves in a pretty decent position to attack the summer.

I totally disagree, Martinez would not have taken us down.

He wouldnt have signed anywhere near as much crap as Lambert has signed

Martinez would have taken us down last season, not because he's a bad manager (quite the opposite in my eyes by the way as I think he's a very skilled Manager) but because we do not have the playing staff to adapt to a passing game and there weren't the funds available for him to revamp the squad.

I'd imagine that this is how he would have weighed it up too and therefore quite rightly decided to distance himself from us, in terms of club stature I think we would have been of immense interest to him.

I still like Lambert though the initial excitement over his appointment has of course waned, for me if we finish 10th - 12th then there is some modicum of progress which is all we're really asking for, okay some of the performances, particularly at home have been abhorrent but then I'd imagine that every team south of Everton in the league could/would say the same as we've all struggled for consistency to some degree or another (Man Utd have had some awful home performances, likewise Newcastle and even Southampton, who have been much lauded again this season).

Defence is tighter and although we've not scored as freely the goals have at least been shared around a bit more with Delph, El Ahmadi and Bacuna all chipping in with a few each.

Easy to be more positive after winning a game 4-1 naturally but I do think we're progressing, just about, and given the documented reduction in wages etc we should hopefully find ourselves in a pretty decent position to attack the summer.

Oh right, so you think he would have had Baker, Delph, Albrighton, Agbonlahor etc etc playing a short sharp posession game do you?

Or do you think he would have magic'd up £50M to completely replace the squad?

Either way it's pure fantasy

Oh right, so you think he would have had Baker, Delph, Albrighton, Agbonlahor etc etc playing a short sharp posession game do you?

Or do you think he would have magic'd up £50M to completely replace the squad?

Either way it's pure fantasy

Was not it not great football that ended up keeping us safe last year. Our final 10 games saw a huge improvement in the football and the results. Could a better manager not have had us playing that way ealier?

I was an OGS man but boy did we dodge a bullet there. Not just his Cardiff freefall but after the Molde owners refused to outspend all the other teams for him again they did terribly last season.

In summary I agree AVFCAM I know sod all about picking managers :)

You might want to check some of he 'crap' he signed for Wigan. Probably a similar budget to what he'd have here.

Â