Paul Lambert

limpid

That's irrelevant though, we're not talking about comments made on a forum. We're talking about something that could impact a game that is happening, that could result in points gained or lost

If that's what you're concerned about should you not be more unhappy with the manager, chairman and players? Because they have far far far more impact on what you're concerned about than the fans who have been going to villa park for years.

I don't really get the 'why our fans' posts when it comes to the booing. It's as if the fans of Everton, Spurs, Newcastle etc. would react any different if their clubs had replicated our home form of the past couple of years.

Out of interest, how many of those slating the crowd are season-ticket holders themselves? Just curious.

That's irrelevant though, we're not talking about comments made on a forum. We're talking about something that could impact a game that is happening, that could result in points gained or lost

If that's what you're concerned about should you not be more unhappy with the manager, chairman and players? Because they have far far far more impact on what you're concerned about than the fans who have been going to villa park for years.

It is possible to be annoyed at owner,manager,players etc and also be unhappy with the fans that get on the teams back as soon as anything goes wrong.

Nobody is blaming everything on the fans but the unsupportive supporters do not help when moaning and abusing players during the game.

Out of interest, how many of those slating the crowd are season-ticket holders themselves? Just curious

Out of interest, how many of those slating the manager are professional football managers themselves?  Just curious.

• Like 2

I don't really get the 'why our fans' posts when it comes to the booing. It's as if the fans of Everton, Spurs, Newcastle etc. would react any different if their clubs had replicated our home form of the past couple of years.

Out of interest, how many of those slating the crowd are season-ticket holders themselves? Just curious.

I'm a season ticket holder for a number of years but I don't see what that's got to do with it.

Another 'better fan' post as you could flip this round and say I wonder how many of those booing the team after 5 mins are season ticket holders.

Well I just don't get it. Like I said of the all the things associated with villa the fans would be the last thing I'd be complaining about. They have the least impact on the team and will be there long after current players, managers and owner.

Edited by Big_John_10

Well I just don't get it. Like I said of the all the things associated with villa the fans would be the last thing I'd be complaining about. They have the least impact on the team and will be there long after current players, managers and owner.

No-one has said the fans have the biggest impact on the team?  It's obviously the players followed by the manager followed by the coaching staff etc. etc.

It's just that supporting the team rather than booing them after 3 minutes would help (or, hey, maybe it wouldn't - we won 4-1 after all!)

One decent game an Lamberts top man again. Ok give him another season, im gonna be laughing my knackers off when we have another relegation battle.

Some people need to be looking at themselves blaming fans for players poor performances. Its not Sunday league, they are professionals if they cant handle the pressure being in our great club then they have took the wrong option to play in the top flight. Sorry but the shit sometimes cancels out the good unfortunately. I'll see you at the next home game when normal service resumes. And this post is not from some manic depressive, just a fan who expects a little more from my club and don't crack open the champagne after one rare win at home.....

Edited by foreveryoung

Out of interest, how many of those slating the manager are professional football managers themselves?  Just curious.

This argument has been done many times before but by your logic, all those who used to criticise Alex McLeish (and still do) are also wrong. Blackburn fans who were not professional managers themselves had no right to slate Steve Kean I take it?

Another 'better fan' post as you could flip this round and say I wonder how many of those booing the team after 5 mins are season ticket holders.

Well it's actually not a 'better fan' post as I am not a season-ticket holder and I am not slagging off paying fans for voicing their displeasure.

One decent game an Lamberts top man again. Ok give him another season, im gonna be laughing my knackers off when we have another relegation battle.

So you'd be happy if we were in a relegation battle just so you can prove a point? Some fan.

• Like 4

So you'd be happy if we were in a relegation battle just so you can prove a point? Some fan.

Exactly, I'm sure it will be hilarious.

This argument has been done many times before but by your logic, all those who used to criticise Alex McLeish (and still do) are also wrong. Blackburn fans who were not professional managers themselves had no right to slate Steve Kean I take it?

Wrong.

By my logic, everyone is equally entitled to have an opinion regarding the players/manager/fans and being a season-ticket holder makes you no more qualified to do so.

I don't generally agree with the posters saying "don't blame the crowd" on other issues, but honestly, the players shouldn't be making their decisions on how to play off how the crowd reacts.

It's all psychological.  If I was sat at my desk and cocked up then had my team booing me and pointing out my glaring error, it's not going to make me feel any better and, if anything, I'd just be more worried about doing the same thing again.  Therefore, I'd become more cautious - adopting the safest route possible to ensure that doesn't happen again.  Translated to football terms?  Just get rid of the ball and make sure the opposition doesn't score (again).

That isn't to say players make their decisions based on the crowd, but there's likely to be a subconscious element that will have some (hopefully extremely minimal) impact.  Same way that when a goal goes in, it can often be followed up by another - you feel good, you become more expressive and want to do the same thing (to get the acclaim) again.

• Like 1

Wrong.

By my logic, everyone is equally entitled to have an opinion regarding the players/manager/fans and being a season-ticket holder makes you no more qualified to do so.

The point being made was that people who don't pay to go to Villa Park and watch the games (myself included) should perhaps refrain from lecturing paying fans as to how they must behave during them. It is obviously easier to swallow watching constantly awful displays when you are watching on TV/stream and are not paying a significant amount of your disposable income for the pleasure. I fail to see how your strawman analogy is relevent to that point.

Edited by Isa

It is definitely what happened. I couldn't hear what was said but the actions were as I have said. Lambert wanted a word with the guy, was pointing and shouting in his direction, took his coat off with a clear intent. Fortunately a few fans and security got to the guy first and bundled him away - lambert was absolutely fuming.

Sorry, I didn't mean to disbelieve your account - just a worry that it may have been a report of what someone else may have said and so on.

That's not a good report at all.

Just to corroborate this story and perhaps add a little to it, this DID happen.

I sit in C4 and, whilst I didn't hear the exact nature of the incident I both saw what happened and spoke to the steward who ejected him (who I just happen to know through work). Obviously there were a lot of grumbles after the first 15mins or so and, much like Culverhouse on numerous occasions has, Lambert turned round and told a group of fans to get behind the team and to 'shut the f up' or words to that effect. Now, because it was quiet, this became a direct shouting match between the fan and the manager for 10 seconds. A few minutes later Villa had scored and as the celebrations were dying down it became obvious the 'ruckus' was kicking off and the guy was fuming. Lambert kept goading him and he looked like he wanted to tear the managers head off. Fans, the Villa physios/coaches that sit behind the dugout and a few stewards pulled him away and back to his seat but with such force the guys jacket got torn p*ssing him off further. He then disappeared.

At half time I bumped in to this steward friend (I say friend, I know him to speak to but actually don't know his name still!) of mine who approached me after he'd had a chat with the young lad who stewards directly next to the dugout. Said the bloke he'd had to eject was f'in and blinding about being sworn at and having Lambert stick a few choice fingers up at him. I think the view of the crowd and the stewards was that this was kind of caused by Lambert for either not ignoring the situation in the first place or continuing to goad him through out it. Oh, and it wasn't the same guy that hugged him a few weeks back! (Which, by the way, Lambert dealt with appallingly by shoving him and swearing etc - but I suppose you might not trust a stranger).

The question is: should a manager always rise above it or is there a tolerance level any human being has for what is just words?

Â