Paul Lambert

limpid

Martinez would have taken us down last season, not because he's a bad manager (quite the opposite in my eyes by the way as I think he's a very skilled Manager) but because we do not have the playing staff to adapt to a passing game and there weren't the funds available for him to revamp the squad.

I'd imagine that this is how he would have weighed it up too and therefore quite rightly decided to distance himself from us, in terms of club stature I think we would have been of immense interest to him.

I still like Lambert though the initial excitement over his appointment has of course waned, for me if we finish 10th - 12th then there is some modicum of progress which is all we're really asking for, okay some of the performances, particularly at home have been abhorrent but then I'd imagine that every team south of Everton in the league could/would say the same as we've all struggled for consistency to some degree or another (Man Utd have had some awful home performances, likewise Newcastle and even Southampton, who have been much lauded again this season).

Defence is tighter and although we've not scored as freely the goals have at least been shared around a bit more with Delph, El Ahmadi and Bacuna all chipping in with a few each.

Easy to be more positive after winning a game 4-1 naturally but I do think we're progressing, just about, and given the documented reduction in wages etc we should hopefully find ourselves in a pretty decent position to attack the summer.

I totally disagree, Martinez would not have taken us down.

He wouldnt have signed anywhere near as much crap as Lambert has signed

Oh right, so you think he would have had Baker, Delph, Albrighton, Agbonlahor etc etc playing a short sharp posession game do you?

Or do you think he would have magic'd up £50M to completely replace the squad?

Either way it's pure fantasy

Was not it not great football that ended up keeping us safe last year. Our final 10 games saw a huge improvement in the football and the results. Could a better manager not have had us playing that way ealier?

But our style did not change, it just became more effective toward the end of the season, as it may again this year.

Under Martinez you'd be looking at a wholly different approach and one that with the squad the way it was 24 months ago would have been beyond us, no matter how well you coach them you're not going to get Baker, Clark, Agbonlahor, Albrighton etc playing tippy tappy posession football

Martinez would have taken us down last season, not because he's a bad manager (quite the opposite in my eyes by the way as I think he's a very skilled Manager) but because we do not have the playing staff to adapt to a passing game and there weren't the funds available for him to revamp the squad.

I'd imagine that this is how he would have weighed it up too and therefore quite rightly decided to distance himself from us, in terms of club stature I think we would have been of immense interest to him.

I still like Lambert though the initial excitement over his appointment has of course waned, for me if we finish 10th - 12th then there is some modicum of progress which is all we're really asking for, okay some of the performances, particularly at home have been abhorrent but then I'd imagine that every team south of Everton in the league could/would say the same as we've all struggled for consistency to some degree or another (Man Utd have had some awful home performances, likewise Newcastle and even Southampton, who have been much lauded again this season).

Defence is tighter and although we've not scored as freely the goals have at least been shared around a bit more with Delph, El Ahmadi and Bacuna all chipping in with a few each.

Easy to be more positive after winning a game 4-1 naturally but I do think we're progressing, just about, and given the documented reduction in wages etc we should hopefully find ourselves in a pretty decent position to attack the summer.

I totally disagree, Martinez would not have taken us down.

He wouldnt have signed anywhere near as much crap as Lambert has signed

Oh right, so you think he would have had Baker, Delph, Albrighton, Agbonlahor etc etc playing a short sharp posession game do you?

Or do you think he would have magic'd up £50M to completely replace the squad?

Either way it's pure fantasy

Was not it not great football that ended up keeping us safe last year. Our final 10 games saw a huge improvement in the football and the results. Could a better manager not have had us playing that way ealier?

But our style did not change, it just became more effective toward the end of the season, as it may again this year.

Under Martinez you'd be looking at a wholly different approach and one that with the squad the way it was 24 months ago would have been beyond us, no matter how well you coach them you're not going to get Baker, Clark, Agbonlahor, Albrighton etc playing tippy tappy posession football

I think he could have got them playing that way however we would have been a soft touch.

Martinez had the potential to be another GH without serious funds. Pretty football, but no end product and weak at the back. It's not hard to see why Everton are scoring so many goals this year. Look at their options.

It's not hard to see why Everton are scoring so many goals this year. Look at their options.

They've scored 38. I wouldn't class that as special. 7 more than us and we've been turgid at times

Martinez had the potential to be another GH without serious funds. Pretty football, but no end product and weak at the back. It's not hard to see why Everton are scoring so many goals this year. Look at their options.

I don't think they are that blessed with attacking options at all to be honest and saying his style is weak at the back is strange considering how little goals they have conceded.

I don't think they are that blessed with attacking options at all to be honest and saying his style is weak at the back is strange considering how little goals they have conceded.

Yeah there defence has been their strong point this season.

Mainly enhanced by a certain mr barry

Mainly enhanced by a certain mr barry

Yep, he's been their beat signing.

• Like 1

You cannot possibly have seen many Everton-games this season.

They keep a lot of possession, but they aren't all out attacking. In fact, if I was to describe them this year it would be by using the word "solid". Solid at the back, they are good at not losing games (5) and they have kept some 10 clean sheets. They have let in 27 goals (2nd best behind Chelsea) and they have scored only 38 goals (almost half compared to Liverpool), so I would say they are a team built on defensive power instead of attacking force. Besides, it's not like Everton are filled with exceptional players. They have lost three out of the last five, but I guess they are excused somewhat since it was against Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea - and all were away from home.

Smart managers adapt with the team they have at hand, Martinez is doing what he would have done at Villa. See what you have, make changes in personnel and stick to what is best for the team. Last season people were laughing at Wigan and said he was never going to make a team defend properly. Interestingly enough, in 2.5 years in the Premier League, our manager Paul Lambert has let in 174 goals in 104 games, impressive!

They keep a lot of possession, but they aren't all out attacking. In fact, if I was to describe them this year it would be by using the word "solid". Solid at the back, they are good at not losing games (5) and they have kept some 10 clean sheets. They have let in 27 goals (2nd best behind Chelsea) and they have scored only 38 goals (almost half compared to Liverpool), so I would say they are a team built on defensive power instead of attacking force. Besides, it's not like Everton are filled with exceptional players. They have lost three out of the last five, but I guess they are excused somewhat since it was against Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea - and all were away from home.

Smart managers adapt with the team they have at hand, Martinez is doing what he would have done at Villa. See what you have, make changes in personnel and stick to what is best for the team. Last season people were laughing at Wigan and said he was never going to make a team defend properly. Interestingly enough, in 2.5 years in the Premier League, our manager Paul Lambert has let in 174 goals in 104 games, impressive!

Check the bolded. I thought they'd scored more, but it doesn't detract from my original point.

Lambert is clueless at organising defences, luckily we have an excellent keeper and Vlaar has really stepped up this season it hasn't been too bad.

So Lambert got blamed last season for the defence, this year we've conceded a lot less but it's just down to the players?

Check the bolded. I thought they'd scored more, but it doesn't detract from my original point.

I dont think Martinez will ever be a top top manager. His style of football will get you so far but that cutting age in the final 3rd alludes his teams because of the way he sets them up and plays. When i say top top manager i dont see him ever managing a top european side.

• Like 2

Exactly. I kind of botched my original point. I meant that his Everton actually score a decent amount of goals because of his options, not necessarily because of his style. 

Lambert is clueless at organising defences, luckily we have an excellent keeper and Vlaar has really stepped up this season it hasn't been too bad.

Or they got a defensive coach in during the summer hence the improvement, last season our defence was like fulham's this.

Saw the problem and addressed it.

in 2.5 years in the Premier League, our manager Paul Lambert has let in 174 goals in 104 games, impressive!

Scary stat!

Average of 1.35 goals this season apposed to 1.72 goals over the previous 1.5 seasons. Better not say much more incase people start to think Lambert is moving forward and progressing with our team.

Â