Paul Lambert

limpid

It is definitely what happened. I couldn't hear what was said but the actions were as I have said. Lambert wanted a word with the guy, was pointing and shouting in his direction, took his coat off with a clear intent. Fortunately a few fans and security got to the guy first and bundled him away - lambert was absolutely fuming.

Sorry, I didn't mean to disbelieve your account - just a worry that it may have been a report of what someone else may have said and so on.

That's not a good report at all.

Just to corroborate this story and perhaps add a little to it, this DID happen.

I sit in C4 and, whilst I didn't hear the exact nature of the incident I both saw what happened and spoke to the steward who ejected him (who I just happen to know through work). Obviously there were a lot of grumbles after the first 15mins or so and, much like Culverhouse on numerous occasions has, Lambert turned round and told a group of fans to get behind the team and to 'shut the f up' or words to that effect. Now, because it was quiet, this became a direct shouting match between the fan and the manager for 10 seconds. A few minutes later Villa had scored and as the celebrations were dying down it became obvious the 'ruckus' was kicking off and the guy was fuming. Lambert kept goading him and he looked like he wanted to tear the managers head off. Fans, the Villa physios/coaches that sit behind the dugout and a few stewards pulled him away and back to his seat but with such force the guys jacket got torn p*ssing him off further. He then disappeared.

At half time I bumped in to this steward friend (I say friend, I know him to speak to but actually don't know his name still!) of mine who approached me after he'd had a chat with the young lad who stewards directly next to the dugout. Said the bloke he'd had to eject was f'in and blinding about being sworn at and having Lambert stick a few choice fingers up at him. I think the view of the crowd and the stewards was that this was kind of caused by Lambert for either not ignoring the situation in the first place or continuing to goad him through out it. Oh, and it wasn't the same guy that hugged him a few weeks back! (Which, by the way, Lambert dealt with appallingly by shoving him and swearing etc - but I suppose you might not trust a stranger).

The question is: should a manager always rise above it or is there a tolerance level any human being has for what is just words?

A manager should always rise above it. He is a professional and thats what he has to do. If he cant control himself then being a manager isn't for him. What next, a kung fu kick when we play palace?

easier said than done particularly in our case ,when its probably on all season.

I agree it probably is, but that goes with the job no matter were you are and you have to be able to deal with it

Hmmm not liking those stories about Lambert if I'm honest. Lambert sounds a right clearing in the woods if you ask me

If it was in the press then it'd be worth worrying about but it isn't.

If true though at least he's showing passion.

I remember Mon used to get a lot of stick, I'm sure some people sit there just for that reason.

I'd rather our manager was allowed to focus on the game going on.

Hmmm not liking those stories about Lambert if I'm honest. Lambert sounds a right clearing in the woods if you ask me

I'm sure some people sit there just for that reason.

me too, it shouldn't be allowed to happen

I've got no issue at all with somebody being abused giving abuse back.

If they've every right to voice their opinions those they're voicing them to have every right to retort with similar velocity.

We live in the real world, with other real human beings.

• Like 1

I'm a strong believer in if you can dish it out, you better be able to take it right back. It seems there are a section of fans whose expectation is to be able to hurl as much as abuse as they want at players/managers and if they invoke any sort of response, they go mental/throw a childish fit. What does one expect the outcome to be? Just another case of petulant people looking for one more thing to complain about...IMO of course. 

I've got no issue at all with somebody being abused giving abuse back.

If they've every right to voice their opinions those they're voicing them to have every right to retort with similar velocity.

We live in the real world, with other real human beings.

you wouldn't see a judge being slagged off, it wouldn't be allowed ,hence you never see them giving it back.

I know a football manager is not quite the same, but any manager should not be allowed to be abused like that.

It's on the MOTD video of the game which I'm sure is on youtube somewhere so judge for yourself. He got carried away but of course shouldn't have been encroaching the technical area so I think Lambert was a bit surprised to turn round and be confronted by a fan.

It's on the MOTD video of the game which I'm sure is on youtube somewhere so judge for yourself. He got carried away but of course shouldn't have been encroaching the technical area so I think Lambert was a bit surprised to turn round and be confronted by a fan.

WBA game ?

Yeah agree with that DDID. The bit that upset me more was the tale of the guy who tried to celebrate a goal with lambert in the WBA game and lambert pushes him off and tells him to **** off ?? That's not nice

Lambert did nothing wrong on that occasion...a fan ran out of the stands toward him and he appeared to just shepherd him back to his seats probably so he wouldn't get into too much trouble.

• Like 1

Yeah agree with that DDID. The bit that upset me more was the tale of the guy who tried to celebrate a goal with lambert in the WBA game and lambert pushes him off and tells him to **** off ?? That's not nice

Lambert did nothing wrong on that occasion...a fan ran out of the stands toward him and he appeared to just shepherd him back to his seats probably so he wouldn't get into too much trouble.
Ok fair enough

Let me see if I've got this straight.

We just scored arguably the best goal of our season so far which gave us a 2 goal lead on our opposition within 10 minutes....

.... and then the fan in question hurled abuse at Lambert? :huh:

I wonder what he did last season when we won 6-1 against Sunderland? :detect:

The fans have a responsibility to support the team in difficult times regardless of quality on the pitch.

This is 2013 not 1913 so I think you will find that the players are the ones that get highly paid so they have the responsibility to entertain their paying public.

Stop being so Pongo Waring.

Why even watch modern football if you have that attitude? It is 2014 not 2013. Last season (2013) the fans carried us to victories against Sunderland and QPR, we need to display this spirit once again and get behind the players.

I was referring to the season start date (2013), I am fully aware of what year it is.

There will be no repeat of the thrashing that we gave to Sunderland (fans support or not). The team are not capable of it now as the tactics employed do not create sufficient amount of chances.

People have changed, they won't tolerate garbage week after week and year after year and blindly suffer it without venting their frustration and annoyance. If you think that people are going to watch dross and stand there singing their hearts out and dancing on the terraces (I am well aware of the fact that we don't stand up anymore too) then you are living in a bygone age.

4-1 is good enough for me.  :)

If you hurl abuse at any member of Villa staff I have no problem with said member of Villa staff giving some back.  Fair play to Lambert for showing fight and passion and ramming it down a boo-boy's throat.  It's amazing how these precious flowers act all shocked and hurt when the nasty Villa boss has a go back at them - they are an embarrassment to themselves as well as the club.  It would be great if these neanderthals cleared off and followed another club.

The difference is lambert is a professional and should act as such, if some bellend in the crowd is an idiot then what can you do? They're in every ground in the world but as a manager to turn around and act like that (allegedly) because we went ahead is pretty petty imo.

You think any manager in the league doesnt get abuse from the fans nearby when things aren't going so well? You dont see anyone else turning around to a fan acting all smug because they've actually finally won a game.

Â