Paul Lambert

limpid

I've felt a majority of Villa fans act like they are entitled for all my time supporting the club (I'm 30 this year) the ground isn't that noisy, not many songs other than SOTC/My Lord/Benteke. Fans always going on about being a big club when we aren't and how talk about how much they pay when its half what a team like Arsenal charge.

That wont go down with most but frankly I don't care it's true.

Difference being it should be enjoyable when your team wins as opposed to it already sucks when your team loses.

So when we win, the sentiment is, "Well, we won, BUT xyz sucks sucks sucks."

I'm just saying it wouldn't hurt to just let it go and enjoy the win for a day or two instead of already coming up with the negatives.

But with this I bow out of this thread. I've avoided it for a while as it usually runs in circles and I see things haven't changed :)

When put like that, I understand where you are coming from. I think there are those though who due to the reality of our form in recent months, won't allow themselves to go overboard with their positivity and will try to balance it with a large dose of realism. Shame that victories can't be enjoyed by everybody in a more isolated manner but unfortunetly it is hard to block out the bigger picture in order to do so. Which is completely understandable given the lethargy of this season.

Is that not an admission that your only reaction to the overall performance of the club (and your necessary criticism of other fans) is based upon the immediate result? I.e. whether or not we won today or yesterday (not even how it happened)?

Good post and backs up what I've just said. In reality, you cannot isolate a result from the context of the season and general situation of the club. For example, a loss for a team who have already mathmatically won the title won't bother their fans too much. When victories like yesterday's cease being such a rarity you will find a lot less cynicism amongst fans.

Edited by Isa

The season has been mostly like the first 20 minutes. What followed was very nice up to HT. 

Second half, I don't think the players knew whether to stick or twist, seeing the game out neatly at 4-1 up is fine, the non-event of a second half was welcomed by me.

Let's see if this is dealt with and it's made clear to the players that the first 20 mins of booting it 70 yards isn't acceptable.

All I can say is there are places for people like you and it's obviously not supporting a football club that has not exactly had the sun shining for it in the last 30 years.

Yes your entitled to an opinion, everyone is!, But when it is the same drone of ignorant pathetic shit week after week, season after season that has no substance anyway then all I could suggest is if you really feel it is that depressing for you then seek medical advice or actually study and read a encyclopedia on football and learn the game and the ins and outs of it first... again. just an opinion.

Interesting opinion

All I can say is there are places for people like you and it's obviously not supporting a football club that has not exactly had the sun shining for it in the last 30 years.

Yes your entitled to an opinion, everyone is!, But when it is the same drone of ignorant pathetic shit week after week, season after season that has no substance anyway then all I could suggest is if you really feel it is that depressing for you then seek medical advice or actually study and read a encyclopedia on football and learn the game and the ins and outs of it first... again. just an opinion.

Interesting opinion

Tremendous, balanced insight as always. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting opinion
Tremendous, balanced insight as always. Thanks for sharing.

He gave a slavering rant the short shrift it deserved.

Great and much needed result yesterday - one that leaves up need to win 2 from 10 to stay up.

However nothing we didn't already know - if we can get the ball to an on song benteke he will do the business. But for me yesterday didn't show that that we have a plan\technique\skill or personell to do this on regular basis. Until Vlaar found Bentekke with a high ball into the box we were floundering badly.

We seem to have no effective pattern of play that can be the basis of our team for the next few years, and with one or two exceptions that squad still needs as much as an overhaul as it did the day Lambert arrived.

It was a great result yesterday and we should all be grateful for that with the three games we have ahead of us. I don't think we can go down because it's clear that there are easily 3 worse teams than us. But, I still think we will struggle to get to 40 points.

Interesting opinion

Interesting and accurate. Nice post rigo

Is that not an admission that your only reaction to the overall performance of the club (and your necessary criticism of other fans) is based upon the immediate result? I.e. whether or not we won today or yesterday (not even how it happened)?

Good post and backs up what I've just said. In reality, you cannot isolate a result from the context of the season and general situation of the club. For example, a loss for a team who have already mathmatically won the title won't bother their fans too much. When victories like yesterday's cease being such a rarity you will find a lot less cynicism amongst fans.

You can isolate a result when you're just commenting on the result.

If you're talking about the season in general then of course you can't say "we're having a good season, look at today's result!"

But I think people are having problems about people still being negative about the game even though we won 4-1. You only have to read the match thread to see the reluctance of some people to give any sort of credit to the team or manager.

Great and much needed result yesterday - one that leaves up need to win 2 from 10 to stay up.

However nothing we didn't already know - if we can get the ball to an on song benteke he will do the business. But for me yesterday didn't show that that we have a plan\technique\skill or personell to do this on regular basis. Until Vlaar found Bentekke with a high ball into the box we were floundering badly.

We seem to have no effective pattern of play that can be the basis of our team for the next few years, and with one or two exceptions that squad still needs as much as an overhaul as it did the day Lambert arrived.

So the third and fourth goals didn't show you anything in terms of the ability we have as a team? The break for the 3rd especially was fantastic football, Bacuna's first touch and finish were incredible, but better for me was the fact that he had 4 players in support, 3 of whom were wide open in the box had he chosen to lay it off.

I'm not saying everything is rosey in the villa garden by any means, how could it be after the turnover in playing staff the last two summers etc. etc. ? I just think it's not as bad as saying we have no effective pattern of play, I think we have only shown it far too briefly this season, we saw it for the last 10 games or so of last season though too. That doesn't mean it isn't there, and it also doesn't mean that with some more investment, the younger players having a years more experience, the new lads having a years more experience in this league that we have no basis r foundations in place on which to improve.

That's often how football works though - one spark of magic from a player can completely change everything - and it did yesterday.

You could say the same in reverse about the Newcastle game and Remy. Games often turn on mistakes or moments of brilliance in equal measures, the margins are very small.

But for some brilliant at Cardiff by their keeper we could and perhaps should have won.

That is football.

• Like 2

Twice I've sensed the crowd were ready to properly turn at villa park.

2-0 down to west brom and today.

I think Lambert's come very close to losing the home support but he's got the results when its right on the brink.

John,

I thought he lost the crowd at home to Palace to be fair. Parts of the Holte (my ST is in the lower) were signing 'Getting sacked in the morning' at full time on Boxing Day. I'm guilty of booing at the end of that game as that is exactly how I felt best to express my horror and disgust, but I didn't sing that...

Great win yesterday and I am happy for Paul and the team. One swallow doesn't make a summer however and crikey we have had to endure at home. This will be a big summer for Villa. I think we will all know a bit more about the future of AVFC and Paul.

• Like 1

I've felt a majority of Villa fans act like they are entitled for all my time supporting the club (I'm 30 this year) the ground isn't that noisy, not many songs other than SOTC/My Lord/Benteke. Fans always going on about being a big club when we aren't and how talk about how much they pay when its half what a team like Arsenal charge.

That wont go down with most but frankly I don't care it's true.

Yeah, I'm guilty of that... I pay my money for a ST and expect to get value for money for it. I haven't had that for several seasons now, so forgive me for expecting a little bit back in return for my support. Which does cost real money... which I have to pay for and justify with my family.

Think about that before talking down to people from a 'higher' moral horse.

Interesting opinion

That it is and one I would go as far to say insulting. It ruined what was otherwise a decent post.

Â