Jordan Lyden

ozvillafan

1 minute ago, Pilchard said:

I had thought he was a midfielder, obviously wrong with that.

What position will be be playing tonight?

Central midfield is his favoured position but he can play right back or centre back as well, he's versatile

Garde's comments:

On Jordan Lyden's first start…

It was not his favourite position - he is more a midfield player.

Leo Bacuna was a little bit injured - like Alan Hutton.

I wanted to play Micah Richards as a centre-back. Jordan Lyden told me he has already played this position.

For his first game, he was okay - he's a good player!

He is working well. He is young and he is working very well in training sessions.

He's got a very good attitude. He is one of the best attitudes in the team - that's important when you want to go step by step as a football player.

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's impressively sensible, and he's got a good head on his shoulders; he was about the only player in the first half actively seeking out responsibility. It was Lyden trying to take quick throws, trying to support Ayew and keeping Richards where he was supposed to be. He didn't do anything outstanding with the ball, but he didn't do anything stupid defensively either - which in so far as Villa right backs go this season means he had a good debut.

He was bossing Richards about on his positioning? That's a good sign.

Sounds promising then - a nice, solid, uneventful debut is a good sign for a defensive player. 

They had no joy down his side at all. Richardson on the other hand was all over the place in comparison.

He, Lyden, struck the right balance between covering for Ayew's marauding and assisting him when necessary. It was a very mature, measured performance.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's impressively sensible, and he's got a good head on his shoulders; he was about the only player in the first half actively seeking out responsibility. It was Lyden trying to take quick throws, trying to support Ayew and keeping Richards where he was supposed to be. He didn't do anything outstanding with the ball, but he didn't do anything stupid defensively either - which in so far as Villa right backs go this season means he had a good debut.

Glad someone else has seen his ability to read the game simply. Also you've made me so happy, quick throws....for the last 15 years we've been hopeless with throw-ins apart from a couple of years where we had Bent. 

I'm gutted I'm so far down South now as I don't get to see our various teams play live. I shall be paying attention to this thread to see what you guys make/have made of him.

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Unusual first name. Can anyone think of any other players called Jordan?

Can see problems developing here...

"Jordan, pass it to Jordan!"

"Which one?"

Glad to see a youngster come through to the first team - first one for a while.

its a tactic to confuse defences ;)

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That attitude Garde refers to showed. I think it was OBE that said old head on young shoulders and I agree, he's got future captain written all over him.

Whether that's here or at a league 2 team remains to be seen, but I was suitably impressed.

I think he is captain of the under-21's.

• Like 2

Â