Jordan Lyden

ozvillafan

Any Aussie in or around the Premier League is big news down here. Jordan is no exception:

Young Australian midfielder Jordan Lyden is closing in on selection for Aston Villa's first team squad after signing a two-year extension to his existing three-season deal with the English Premier League club.

The 18 year old from Perth - a graduate of Perth's renowned ECU Joondalup academy - will now be tied to the club until mid-2017 as coach Paul Lambert rewards his potential.

He has been on Villa’s books since he was 12 and is targeting a senior call up this season, as well as a place in the Young Socceroos side which will head to Myanmar in October in a bid to qualify for next year's FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand.

Recovering from a pre-season injury but due back in training next week, Lyden - who can also operate as a right back - said: "At the end of last season I was training with the first team every day and the great thing for me is that the boss Paul Lambert has taken a liking to me, which is a massive boost.

"The boss has basically told me to keep pushing myself, knuckle down and to be ready when the opportunity comes.

"I'd love to make my debut this season but I will need to keep working hard [with the U-21s] and hopefully push on from there.

"My immediate ambition is be a part of the Young Socceroos team in October. I have played for my country in Dubai and also Malaysia and I will be doing all I can to be there in October."

Lyden, whose parents are both English, counts Villa's fellow west Australian Chris Herd (pictured below) as his closest friend at the club - and is delighted to see him fit again and ready to finally make his debut for Australia in the looming internationals against Belgium and Saudi Arabia after a string of false dawns when injury forced him out of previous squads.

"We were together at Joondalup and he's a class player. He's been a big influence on me and a bit of a role model in many ways over the years.

"We have been close since we were young and he's been looking pretty sharp in training and I know he wants to grab his chance with Australia, and obviously force his way back into the Villa first team."

Herd, who has yet to feature for Villa this season after appearing in a string of pre-peason games, returned to the first team squad but wasn't called off the bench as Lambert's men slipped to a shock 1-0 home loss to League One Leyton Orient at Villa Park on Thursday morning (AEST).

While Lydon and Herd will not have been overjoyed by the outcome, one west Australian who was celebrating was defender Shane Lowry (pictured above), who returned to his former club at the heart of the Orient defence and played a full 90 minutes as it send the Premier League side packing.

Link here

Good luck, mate! :thumb:

• Like 3

Any Aussie in or around the Premier League is big news down here. Jordan is no exception:

Young Australian midfielder Jordan Lyden is closing in on selection for Aston Villa's first team squad after signing a two-year extension to his existing three-season deal with the English Premier League club.

The 18 year old from Perth - a graduate of Perth's renowned ECU Joondalup academy - will now be tied to the club until mid-2017 as coach Paul Lambert rewards his potential.

He has been on Villa’s books since he was 12 and is targeting a senior call up this season, as well as a place in the Young Socceroos side which will head to Myanmar in October in a bid to qualify for next year's FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand.

Recovering from a pre-season injury but due back in training next week, Lyden - who can also operate as a right back - said: "At the end of last season I was training with the first team every day and the great thing for me is that the boss Paul Lambert has taken a liking to me, which is a massive boost.

"The boss has basically told me to keep pushing myself, knuckle down and to be ready when the opportunity comes.

"I'd love to make my debut this season but I will need to keep working hard [with the U-21s] and hopefully push on from there.

"My immediate ambition is be a part of the Young Socceroos team in October. I have played for my country in Dubai and also Malaysia and I will be doing all I can to be there in October."

Lyden, whose parents are both English, counts Villa's fellow west Australian Chris Herd (pictured below) as his closest friend at the club - and is delighted to see him fit again and ready to finally make his debut for Australia in the looming internationals against Belgium and Saudi Arabia after a string of false dawns when injury forced him out of previous squads.

"We were together at Joondalup and he's a class player. He's been a big influence on me and a bit of a role model in many ways over the years.

"We have been close since we were young and he's been looking pretty sharp in training and I know he wants to grab his chance with Australia, and obviously force his way back into the Villa first team."

Herd, who has yet to feature for Villa this season after appearing in a string of pre-peason games, returned to the first team squad but wasn't called off the bench as Lambert's men slipped to a shock 1-0 home loss to League One Leyton Orient at Villa Park on Thursday morning (AEST).

While Lydon and Herd will not have been overjoyed by the outcome, one west Australian who was celebrating was defender Shane Lowry (pictured above), who returned to his former club at the heart of the Orient defence and played a full 90 minutes as it send the Premier League side packing.

Link here

Good luck, mate! :thumb:

Edit: Damnit - mod's please change the thread title to his proper last name: Lyden

Uh-oh!

Swain brothers are aussies too. Also from Perth. We must have scouts often visiting there as Herd and Lowry also can from the same academy.

We (Villa) and Portsmouth have an agreement with ECU for them to send over their best young players each year for trials from what I understand. I have a mate who's son now plays for Perth Glory under 15's but prior to this was at ECU and this is who told me about it.

A couple of years back they sent over about 10 lads of various ages and all were amazed at the level of ability of the players who Villa scouts were putting through their paces and really impressed by our set up.

Sounds exciting. Great to see some Aussie kids on the verge. ECU has strong reputation of providing players for English clubs and their registration fees are accordingly exorbitant.

haha he is a good player, I've seen him 4 or 5 times now, he's quite versatile, I think his best position is centre mid personally, he'll have a good career in the game but it will most probably be in the lower leagues unfortunately

so not that good then

That's pretty good? I'd take it!

haha he is a good player, I've seen him 4 or 5 times now, he's quite versatile, I think his best position is centre mid personally, he'll have a good career in the game but it will most probably be in the lower leagues unfortunately

so not that good then

That's pretty good? I'd take it!

well lower leagues could mean anywhere from The Over 60s Nun's Hail Mary League to the Championship, so i guess its a case of how low?

Edited by VillanousOne

• 11 months later...
Â