Jordan Lyden

ozvillafan

• 3 weeks later...

Aussie Lyden targets immediate Aston Villa redemption

Young gun Jordan Lyden is looking to put the “all-time low” of relegation behind him and play a leading role in helping pilot Aston Villa back to the Premier League next season.

The 20 year-old midfielder, who has made five appearances in a breakthrough season for the fallen Midlands giant, is viewed by many Villa fans as one of the faces of the future who can regenerate the club.

And Perth-raised Lyden believes he is ready to step up in the Championship and deliver on his undoubted promise.

“I have no doubt that myself and the other youngsters can help get the club back where it belongs … hopefully I get the opportunity next year to do that. I feel I am ready," he said.

“I have some minutes under my belt in the Perm(iership) and hopefully I will get some more before the end of the season. Next year could me my year, we will just have to wait and see.”

Lyden was on the bench at Old Trafford when Villa’s relegation was sealed by a 1-0 loss to Manchester United, and it’s a sinking feeling which he won't forget.

“I’ve had some ups this year in progressing through the Under-21's into the first team, but going down has been an all-time low for me. Everybody at the club is gutted.

"But I am sure we will bounce straight back up … we have the quality to do that and we will attract top players and a top manager.

“We just have to knuckle down and stick together as a group. There are still three games left and hopefully we can pick up a few points and push on when the new season starts in August.

In football, it’s about how you respond when things go against you and I am sure you will see us do that in the right way next season.”

The Under-21s skipper has won the affection of fans, who took to social media to voice their displeasure three weeks back when he substituted by caretaker boss Eric Black at half-time in the 2-1 home defeat against Bournemouth.

"That was tactical one ... we need to get more forward and bringing me off didn't really harm the team," he said.

"I would love to have stayed on and that was a down for me but I just carry on working hard in training and hopefully I will get back into the team before the end of the season.

"My head is in the right place ... I will just try and keep doing the rights things and hopefully I impress this manager and whoever comes in also”

Former Leicester boss Nigel Pearson is the favourite.

"The fans have taken a liking to me, they like the fact I have come through the academy and have progressed into the first team."

Lyden remains mystified how Villa’s season unfolded so disastrously, with the club picking up just 16 points from 35 games so far, with just three victories all season.

“I am not sure what happened really … it’s been a strange season across the division," he said.

"Look at how well Leicester have done and how tough it’s been for Chelsea.

"Unfortunately, we've had a bad run. Once you get on one it's tough to get out of it when everybody seems against you and everybody doubts you.

"It’s no easy come back from that … wins brings confidence but we just didn’t pick enough of them.

"Next year is a new a new season and a new start, and hopefully we get the club back where it belongs in the Premier League."

Lyden remains in talks over a contract extension ... but is in no immediate rush.

"It’s a bit tough at the moment because the club is in a bit of turmoil and I understand that," he said.

"I am very happy here. They have done a lot for me and I owe a lot back to them.

"I was out injured last year and they stuck by me, and I have to thank them for that.

"Hopefully I will be in their plans and fingers crossed I get a new contract. I am sure I will be here for a good for years yet."

Link here: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/04/27/aussie-lyden-targets-immediate-aston-villa-redemption

Link also includes this video:

Edited by ozvillafan
Fix youtube link

“I’ve had some ups this year in progressing through the Under-21's into the first team, but going down has been an all-time low for me. Everybody at the club is gutted.

Take note Lescott you plum. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

New contract but no games. Hard to read the club's thinking here.

He is only 20 and despite making a handful of appearances last season may well not yet be quite ready to make the step up. Being so young he is still likely to improve. I would expect him to feature at some stage this season especially given the amount of games.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Has he been injured?

Surely if he wasn't going to feature for first half of season we should be loaning him out to a league one team or something?

We've had it before keeping young players here on the off chance there might be an injury crisis and they just stagnate...The Fonz being a prime example.

Right back or CM, either way let's play him and see if he can add something.

ATM I rather have him or even Bacuna!!! in a 3 man CM rather than persisting with a 2 man midfield with Westwood or Gardner as options.

Â