Tom Fox

Cracker1234

So in the space of 3 months Lerner goes from telling the world his heart isn't in it and he wants out to changing his mind and making long term appointments? What a fantastic owner we have.  So what do we do now? Hang around until Lerner changes his mind again? 

I really hope this is part of a takeover but I have my doubts.

He really is a poor owner. 

Sounds good, except for one thing- why the heck would he come to the Villa?

Don't see any way to spin a negative on it, he is obviously either coming to Villa because he has been promised certain things, or because he feels he can make Villa a success!

Plus it's a promotion for him.

Don't see any way to spin a negative on it, he is obviously either coming to Villa because he has been promised certain things, or because he feels he can make Villa a success!

Don't worry I'm not trying to be negative- just my initial, gut reaction was "What's he doing here?"

The fact that someone like him is willing to leave Arsenal for Aston Villa is very positive, as it indicates things are going well behind the scenes.

Edited by jayEm

Been at Arsenal for 5 years now, so maybe he's done all he can there.

Here's his background FWIW:

Chief commercial officer Arsenal FC August 2009 – Present (5 years 1 month)
2519b0e.png Principal Wasserman Media Group April 2007 –  November 2008 (1 year 8 months)Greater Los Angeles Area
32350cd.png SVP Sports Marketing PepsiCo - Gatorade 1999 –  2007 (8 years)
06da440.png Director Asia Pacific/US Sports Marketing Nike February 1997 –  June 1998 (1 year 5 months)Beaverton Oregon

more responsibility and probably a pay rise

• Like 1

Don't worry I'm not trying to be negative- just my initial, gut reaction was "What's he doing here?"

The fact that someone like him is willing to leave Arsenal for Aston Villa is very positive, as it indicates things are going well behind the scenes.

It's a promotion, same way that a player who is hardly picked for a team like arsenal will go to a smaller team to play week in week out.

• Like 2

I said a few months ago that what if Lerner was never really going to sell, but simply wanted to calm fans down hence making a statement like he did. At the time I was just joking but who knows, maybe it is the case.

Either way, I too think this points to the club not being sold. Fox has a really good CV; Nike, Wasserman, Pepsico, the NBA, Arsenal. Reckon he'll help us bring in some serious revenue, but only if we manage to get things going properly on the pitch first. 

As I said a minute ago, I reckon we could see somebody else brought in on the board too because he is a sports marketing expert, not necessarily a football expert.

• Like 1

It seems a bit of a coup and recent evidence suggests Randy is still looking to get the best out of the club he can which is good. Good luck to him.

If he was looking to get the best out of the club, our transfer budget wouldn't be one of the lowest in the league.

Question is whether he will have a progressive strategy for the playing side of things. Being strong financially alone isn't enough.

Also, how much autonomy will he have? Hopefully he won't just be another yes-man like Faulkner just here to keep the finances in check but who has no power to set his own agenda.

• Like 1

It seems a bit of a coup and recent evidence suggests Randy is still looking to get the best out of the club he can which is good. Good luck to him.

If he was looking to get the best out of the club, our transfer budget wouldn't be one of the lowest in the league.

But getting the club to generate more off the field income can only be a positive for both Lerner and his successor (whenever that may be).

The only way the club can be an attractive proposition to a potential new owner is if the club is capable of generating more money. For me this is the equivalent of decorating your house and putting a pot of coffee on when putting it up for sale.

• Like 2

Sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

And the winner of bullshit bingo is

I think he talks a lot of sense.

I wonder what he thinks about Macron/Dafabet, given what he says about only aligning the club's brand with partners that can enhance our brand.

I think this will be good appointment if it's true, and it either signals that there's no sale even close or that sale is close because I can't see anyone coming in as CEO if there's this much uncertainty.

I really hope one day we'll gonna learn the whole story what has gone in the background with Lerner's statements, Faulker and Lerner.

But getting the club to generate more off the field income can only be a positive for both Lerner and his successor (whenever that may be).

The only way the club can be an attractive proposition to a potential new owner is if the club is capable of generating more money. For me this is the equivalent of decorating your house and putting a pot of coffee on when putting it up for sale.

Agree with that but our owner only 3 months ago said his heart wasn't in it and he wants out.  I think it's positive that we are getting a decent CEO but if it means Lerner staying and us waiting around for the next time he changes his mind then it's a negative.

Question is whether he will have a progressive strategy for the playing side of things. Being strong financially alone isn't enough.

Also, how much autonomy will he have? Hopefully he won't just be another yes-man like Faulkner just here to keep the finances in check but who has no power to set his own agenda.

well he's currently got a pretty decent job at Arsenal. I would say it's highly unlikely he'd leave that role to be a yesman at a lower status club. I suspect being CEO and having more roles and impact potential would be fairly key to his decision making would it not? Hardly seems the kind of chap to move for family reasons or anything like such. 

I think this will be good appointment if it's true, and it either signals that there's no sale even close or that sale is close because I can't see anyone coming in as CEO if there's this much uncertainty.

I really hope one day we'll gonna learn the whole story what has gone in the background with Lerner's statements, Faulker and Lerner.

True but then how much certainty is there coming to work for a man who said he wants to sell the club only a few months ago?  I'm clinging to that type of thinking to not kill off my dream of being taken over this summer.

Does he seem like the kind of man to take a role like that?

Â