Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Great to finally get that deal done. Well done to all involved as I'm sure it wasn't easy.

Just the sort of player we need. Now let's hope he can deliver. Shame we couldn't sort it in time for Stoke, but looking forward to seeing him.

Brilliant! Chuffed to bits with this one.

Exactly the kind of player that we've been missing for so, so long. Hopefully he settles in well and enjoys his time here. I'm not expecting him to set the world alight in his first few appearances, but he wouldn't have gotten the nickname that he has for being a weak player; he obviously has some quality about him. I'm very much looking forward to seeing him in action in Claret and Blue.

Welcome Carlos!

Carlos Sanchez: I want to emulate former Aston Villa and Colombia hero Juan Pablo Angel

Carlos Sanchez is determined to follow in the footsteps of Colombia compatriot Juan Pablo Angel by becoming a fans’ favourite at Villa Park. Sanchez completed his move from Elche to Villa on a four-year deal and insisted it was a long-standing ambition to play in the Premier League.

And the 28-year-old midfielder revealed he has had a soft spot for Villa ever since Angel was banging in goals in claret and blue.

“I’m delighted to be here, it’s something I have always dreamed of and it is very important for me to be here at Aston Villa, not only for me but for my family as well,” Sanchez said.

“It was always my aim to play in this country and in this league and I know Villa well as Juan Pablo also played here. I began to watch Villa games when he came in 2001. He was a goalscorer who was very important to this club and I followed his time here because he was always scoring goals. Since I was a boy I have always followed English football, particularly teams where Colombians have played. When I had the chance to come to this club I had no doubts because I know this is a big club in the Premier League.”

Sanchez, who played four World Cup matches for Colombia at Brazil 2014, was pleased with the persistence Paul Lambert showed to seal the deal.

“The most important thing for me was that the manager really wanted me to come here,” he said.

“That was most important in my mind, but I’m very excited also about walking onto the Villa Park pitch and playing in front of our fans.

“I am looking forward to this and I am looking forward to getting to know my teammates. I have a feeling this is a real family club and I am looking forward to experiencing the atmosphere in the dressing room.

“For me, it was an immense experience to play in the World Cup for Colombia and this has given me confidence. I think it is because of the World Cup that I am here.”

Sanchez, who is nicknamed 'The Rock' due to his imposing stature, has won 48 caps for Colombia, having played for Danubio and River Plate Montevideo in Uruguay as well as French club Valenciennes before joining Elche in Spain’s La Liga.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/carlos-sanchez-want-emulate-former-7623418

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 4

Â