Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Starting Andor tonight. Very excited!

It didn’t disappoint! I thought it was a very good first episode. It dares to be a little darker, some of the dialogue and acting is genuinely clever, and there appears to be an actual plot. Will crack on with it tomorrow, and looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Finished the 3 episodes

Its good, glad they did the 3 episodes in one hit, it felt like they've taken their time and told that chapter of the story properly, would say the 2nd episode dipped a little with not a lot happening

Its obviously pure Sci fi but I wouldn't say its overly star warsy, they've done well not to shoe horn it in so far, even with the use of the blues rather than storm troopers just little things like that, it's only really when the can't shoot for shit stuff starts! 

It looks proper big budget, music is good, special effects are good everything on that side is spot on, acting is good too, not found any soap actors in it so far which is what obi wan and mando suffered from at times, would say its well scripted and has good writing too, wasn't overly sold on the flashbacks as I don't think ultimately they had that much impact but we'll see where they go with that, again the pacing is good and it's telling its story rather than rushing so if the flashbacks are part of that then so be it its better than the alternative as shown in obi wan, it also did a decent job of not trying to generate danger for a character that you know nothing happens to, it doesn't have a false peril problem 

Its the best SW TV show by a distance already just needs to now take it somewhere interesting, Mon mothma will make it very star wars, they also need to tone down Saw Gerrera because for me he was the one big negative from rogue one 

Saw the first 3 episodes of Andor last night.  Really enjoyed it.  They are spending time building story, it is well acted, writing is good and it looks great.  Not flashy great, but lived in great.  It looks real enough to not jar you out of the story.  Fan service BS is at a minimum too, which is a good thing.

On 22/09/2022 at 22:47, El Zen said:

Done ep. 2 now. First impressions still hold true. This show is good. 

Ep. 3 done. This show is very good. 

The gulf in quality between this and Obi Wan couldn’t be bigger. 

• Like 1

Ep 4 was quite good imo and it looks really good. They actually managed to produce a bit of content that is kinda interesting and where it feels it has stakes in what's happening. Even thou we know how it will end. Well done. Could not care less about baby Yoda, Beskar, the Mandalorian or the rotting remains of Boba Fett but Andor actually is worth watching.

• Like 1

I binged all five episodes of Andor today, and I think it's the best Star Wars content since the original three films. It's fantastic. Some really interesting characters in there, particularly on the Empire side, and it's great how much time everything has to breathe. I did enjoy the first season of Mando but honestly this just felt like proper grown-up TV in a way that the other things they've done up to now hasn't.

That said, I'm going to watch ep6 when it comes out this week and then stop until the end of the season. The director said the story was cut up into four 3-episode arcs and it's really obvious when binging it. I think having to wait three weeks to watch an entire arc unfold would be quite frustrating for me, so I'll just come back and watch it all at once.

It's interesting because I was reading the other day that they originally didn't want to hire the writer they used for the show because they didn't really like his ideas, but there wasn't anyone better available so they just had to go with it - so it kinda sounds like Disney might have made this by accident. Hopefully it does really well and makes them reconsider their direction a bit.

• Like 2

Watching it now and it is by far the best of the Disney SW series. Mandalorian was fun in a 'adventure of the week' type of way, Obi was slow and dull and Boba Fett was utter shit. This actually feels like a proper series, with layered characters. Hopefully it will remain good.

5 hours ago, El Zen said:

Episode 6 done. Another good one. Surprised it’s not getting more attention on here. 

I inadvertently smashed my way through thr first 3 then haven't had the chance to watch the next 3 so interested to read that's almost like the way it's set up

7 hours ago, El Zen said:

Episode 6 done. Another good one. Surprised it’s not getting more attention on here. 

Yeah, it’s fantastic. Waiting a week for every new episode is painful. Episode 6 was so good.

So many good actors and interesting characters, and tension is done so well.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I inadvertently smashed my way through thr first 3 then haven't had the chance to watch the next 3 so interested to read that's almost like the way it's set up

Yeah, it is. But episode 4-6 are a big step up from 1-3 imo, they start to focus on the wider beginnings of the rebellion and the empire. I think it’s brilliant.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Caught up, love it

Mandalorian is good star wars, this is outright good TV

Anyone know where the last 3 episodes were filmed? Didn't know if that was Scotland somewhere (and no doubt got some computer wizardry on it)

Yeah, filmed in Scotland. I think most of the show is done in the UK at one of the big studios near London. Probably no coincidence there’s so many British accents in the show.

• Like 1

Â