Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

3 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, filmed in Scotland. I think most of the show is done in the UK at one of the big studios near London. Probably no coincidence there’s so many British accents in the show.

Yeah the yank in the crew stood out like a sore thumb

• Like 1

Looks like they didn’t even need to use much CG for the landscapes - seems like they filmed the Cruachan Dam, which is actually a really cool looking piece of architecture. Looks like all they had to do was CG a big gate in the front!

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah the yank in the crew stood out like a sore thumb

Yeah it feels obvious now you mention it. Wonder if he lives in the UK or something?Pretty much everyone else in the show except Diego Luna and Skaarsgard is British.

• Like 1

The scenes where they were walking through the hills all looked real, not even the skyfall cg mist, it was more the scene where they were at the top of the dam looking at the horizon, I think they used some sort of repetition / duplication cg to increase the number of peaks

9 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, filmed in Scotland. I think most of the show is done in the UK at one of the big studios near London. Probably no coincidence there’s so many British accents in the show.

Probably Pinewood at a guess.

If they need a cheap substitute for Mos Eisley then Northfield Town Centre would be good shout. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Just returned to Andor after watching episode 1 weeks ago and not returning to it. Watched episodes 2-5 back to back last night. Have to echo the comments on here, its really good TV and doesn't feel like Star Wars at all.

I've just about finished erasing Bobba & Kenobi from my mind, God awful.

On 24/10/2022 at 18:49, villa4europe said:

Andor has really low viewing figures apparently, lowest so far of any disney+ SW show

🤦‍♂️

Thankfully that's actually not accurate - or at least the "really low" part isn't, I think it's still the lowest due to Andor being a relatively unknown character but it's not that far off the other shows. And hopefully word of mouth will propel it ahead of some of the crapper shows in time.

All the confusion came from one tweet by one analyst who has since apologised and admitted he ran the numbers wrong. It's crazy how much misinformation one erroneous tweet can generate, apparently!

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1

I skived off working from home to watch the new episode of Andor this afternoon and I actually think this episode is my favourite of the lot. This show just keeps ratcheting up and up in quality - I liked the first three episodes but I feel like if I went back and watched them again they'd probably feel really quaint and small-scale (which I guess is the point if you're telling the story of a growing rebellion).

Some really great actors appear in this episode and there's a few moments where expectations get subverted, and without spoiling anything I think the location that Cassian is in in this episode is incredibly well done. And as I've just discovered how spoiler tags work, I might post a few more thoughts later!

For me this is original trilogy levels of good. Nothing else even comes close, including Rogue One (which I did like but had its problems). 

• Like 3

Call me easily pleased if you want, but this is f***ing sensational television. I agree with @Panto_Villan , the latest episode is probably the best one yet. Everything is just absolutely spot on and the acting is just perfection (unsurprisingly, given the impeccable casting.) 

I’m also developing a serious crush on Bix Caleen, but that is beside the point entirely 😅

• Like 2

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

Call me easily pleased if you want, but this is f***ing sensational television. I agree with @Panto_Villan , the latest episode is probably the best one yet. Everything is just absolutely spot on and the acting is just perfection (unsurprisingly, given the impeccable casting.) 

I’m also developing a serious crush on Bix Caleen, but that is beside the point entirely 😅

Yeah, I’m surprised there’s not more chatter here about it. It’s basically like HBO did Star Wars.

Some more detailed thoughts with mild spoilers (up to ep7) in the tags.

Spoiler

Loads of things I love about the show. It’s similar to Rogue One in the way it has loads of shots of really menial things - people twiddling knobs on control panels, doing up their belts, pilots climbing into Tie Fighters, etc. Makes the world feel so much more real than otherwise. I wish other SW shows took the time to show off the world they inhabit.

The characters are great too. Even unimportant background characters just have way much more flavour than even main characters in more recent Star Wars stuff - Syril’s horrible mum, that corporate police chief in the first episode, the idealist writer guy in the heist crew, etc.

I love all the stuff with the ISB. Syril is a really interesting character and I’ve got no idea where his arc is going to end up, I think he’s as likely to end up a rebel as an empire zealot. Luthen and Mon Mothma are great to watch too, especially now things are getting tense.

The other thing I like is how the show subverts expectations a bit. In the most recent episode when the ISB pick up Syril a lesser show would have had them be impressed by his devotion to the cause and he’d end up an ISB agent, but this show doesn’t do the easy thing. I like that.

Its just a great portrayal of the Empire and why people are fighting it, really. Just feels like so much love and care has gone into every episode without it crossing over into lazy fanservice, and I’m loving every minute of it. Great writing and great acting and great set design. Assuming the finale doesn’t screw things up I think it’s going to go down as a classic.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 2

Rogue One is prettier but the quality of the cinematography is there

If HBO did star wars is probably the biggest compliment and most accurate description you can give it it really is that level of quality all round, it's head and shoulders above even the mandalorian in terms of production quality

I thought the last episode dipped slightly but was still good and interesting, I'm not as sold on the imperial woman and the haphazard guy who **** up trying to clear his name as I once was, she's a bit too scowly and he's not as well written as I think they think he is but the rebellion side of this can run and run just keep going

On 24/10/2022 at 18:49, villa4europe said:

Andor has really low viewing figures apparently, lowest so far of any disney+ SW show

🤦‍♂️

People probably fed up of Disney milking the franchise dry. 

8 minutes ago, villaliver said:

The latest episode wasn't that bad to be honest but it has been a little disappointing so far  

Are you talking about the show or the viewing figures? 

Because the show has been freaking brilliant so far. By far the least ‘disappointing’ thing on TV all year. It has exceeded expectations by miles. 

Â