Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

Sorry I'm late @villa4europe  😀 

Yeah, I agree. Andor is the show of the year for me. I think I perhaps went in expecting a little too much from the final few episodes and I was left a little disappointed in a few ways, which I'll elaborate on in the spoiler, but overall I still really enjoyed it and it was a good finale to a series that has been consistently excellent across its twelve episodes. And personally I think anyone who wants to watch it now will have an even better experience than us plebs who were stuck watching it every week - I know I'd have binged the entire show in about a day if I'd been able to!

For me it's an easy recommendation to anyone who has even a passing interest in Star Wars. It's officially my second favourite sci-fi series, imo it's not as good as the Battlestar Galactica reboot but quite a bit better than the Expanse.

Spoiler

Right, so the finale. What was in was great, especially Mon Mothma throwing her husband under the bus to cover up her debts, and that Stormtrooper getting Sparta kicked off the tower. I was just a little disappointed about what we didn't see.

I was hoping we'd get a bit more of a set piece battle from the finale. I was a bit disappointed the Spellhaus raid happened off-screen, I think it'd have been cool to see some rebel troopers fighting Stormtroopers and maybe an AT-ST or something. I really enjoyed Luthen absolutely wrecking that cruiser and the TIE fighters at the end of the previous episode so I thought they were going to go for more of an action sequence to end the series than we actually got. Maybe Saw turning up with some X-Wings or whatever.

I'm a bit surprised all of the main characters survived the episode, and how few of them actually did anything of note. Luthen, Vel and Cinta certainly didn't do much. But thematically it ties up the series well and does a good job of emotionally justifying why Andor has now become a true believer in the Rebel cause, and how Mon Mothma has essentially now sacrificed her family for the rebellion.

I just kinda hope they cut loose a bit more in season 2 and the story becomes about how the Rebels pull together and move towards open warfare against the Empire. They've done a great job of building up the stakes but I think we need the payoff for this to be an all-time classic.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Sorry I'm late @villa4europe  😀 

Yeah, I agree. Andor is the show of the year for me. I think I perhaps went in expecting a little too much from the final few episodes and I was left a little disappointed in a few ways, which I'll elaborate on in the spoiler, but overall I still really enjoyed it and it was a good finale to a series that has been consistently excellent across its twelve episodes. And personally I think anyone who wants to watch it now will have an even better experience than us plebs who were stuck watching it every week - I know I'd have binged the entire show in about a day if I'd been able to!

For me it's an easy recommendation to anyone who has even a passing interest in Star Wars. It's officially my second favourite sci-fi series, imo it's not as good as the Battlestar Galactica reboot but quite a bit better than the Expanse.

Hide contents

Right, so the finale. What was in was great, especially Mon Mothma throwing her husband under the bus to cover up her debts, and that Stormtrooper getting Sparta kicked off the tower. I was just a little disappointed about what we didn't see.

I was hoping we'd get a bit more of a set piece battle from the finale. I was a bit disappointed the Spellhaus raid happened off-screen, I think it'd have been cool to see some rebel troopers fighting Stormtroopers and maybe an AT-ST or something. I really enjoyed Luthen absolutely wrecking that cruiser and the TIE fighters at the end of the previous episode so I thought they were going to go for more of an action sequence to end the series than we actually got. Maybe Saw turning up with some X-Wings or whatever.

I'm a bit surprised all of the main characters survived the episode, and how few of them actually did anything of note. Luthen, Vel and Cinta certainly didn't do much. But thematically it ties up the series well and does a good job of emotionally justifying why Andor has now become a true believer in the Rebel cause, and how Mon Mothma has essentially now sacrificed her family for the rebellion.

I just kinda hope they cut loose a bit more in season 2 and the story becomes about how the Rebels pull together and move towards open warfare against the Empire. They've done a great job of building up the stakes but I think we need the payoff for this to be an all-time classic.

Good overview and agree in most parts.

I really enjoyed the finale - the rousing speech by Mother Andor was particularly impactive along with the musical score.

my understanding of Season 2 is that it’ll be set over the following 4-5 years right up until the events of Rogue One - so it’ll be a fair assumption the pace will pick up now the solid foundations have been laid.

I cannot wait for the next season and already planning to binge rewatch Season 1 in time for the first new episode.

• Like 2

Makes sense given the post credit scene

Potential then for the second series to do something the first avoided, bring in a lot of known faces, bail organa and maybe leia, C3PO and R2, Mon calamari, some characters from rebels, if they only do one then for me personally it's krennic but that's more because I like mendelsohn, he would detract from a lot at the ISB, they'll almost have to do K2SO

What they did well so far is there's no real overlap, it's obviously the same world but they didn't tread on any toes or rewrite aanything

That's why Mon mothma worked so well, they embellish an underdeveloped character 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Makes sense given the post credit scene

Potential then for the second series to do something the first avoided, bring in a lot of known faces, bail organa and maybe leia, C3PO and R2, Mon calamari, some characters from rebels, if they only do one then for me personally it's krennic but that's more because I like mendelsohn, he would detract from a lot at the ISB, they'll almost have to do K2SO

What they did well so far is there's no real overlap, it's obviously the same world but they didn't tread on any toes or rewrite aanything

That's why Mon mothma worked so well, they embellish an underdeveloped character 

Really want to see the reprogramming of K2SO! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Edit. Sorry went mad and posted it 3 times. Mods delete extra posts please. Ta. 

You can do this yourself by clicking the options and select ‘hide post’ 🤓

• Like 1

Andor is a breath of fresh air in the Star Wars universe. It has nailed what I would want out of TV Star Wars. It is on my personal list of all time great SW stuff including the films. Probably in my top 3.

It is a such a compelling setup ,the rise of an empire creating the conditions for its own downfall. The crushing threat the Empire wields combined with it's own casual cruelty and central power base resulting in low level incompetence and grasping ambition. Serious Putin vibes. 

With this world to live in, it is set up for drama, and tension and high stakes. All you need then are decent characters to behave in a logical way and you have a show worth watching. It feels like for the first time in forever that they have just told a good story rather than have the writing be a a vehicle to get you from one big visual set piece to another. 

There are good strong action scenes in Andor. They happen very organically and have greater impact for them.  

Spoiler

The tractor beam destruction and subsequent spinny Lazer tie fighter destruction was very satisfying to watch.

Of course there were some really strong acting performances, the leads were excellent and most of the periphery cast were at least serviceable.  The relief I feel that they just told a good story and gave us as audience members enough credit that we could watch a show without all the clowning around is palpable. 

I really really hope they can take the lessons from this show 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

It is on my personal list of all time great SW stuff including the films. Probably in my top 3.

Hide contents

Empire stands tall above everything else and will never be topped

Rogue one*

Andor

I'd probably say top 3 too at the moment, RotJ has a special nostalgia for me, all the others have various incredible moments and then there's a lot that rather embarrassingly I started but didn't finish - rebels, bad batch, the non CN clone wars

I'd actually go one further and say andor is better than anything disney+ have done for marvel too, if you take out the hulu content (so Dopesick) it's the best thing the service have done

* the surprising thing is that RO was the one that I was most cynical of, be it the spin off element, the casting of Jones which I really didn't like, the reshoots or what, its a stunning film, arguably the prettiest star wars film, the only thing that stops it being 10/10 for me is saw, he's hammy as **** to me (and I think that was a reshoots, they exaggerated his delivery on purpose) he just about got away with it in andor

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Hmmm. I really liked the show, definitely the best of the Star Wars series so far. But that ending was kind of annoying.

The post credits scene was great though. Very clever.

There was a post credit scene? I never bother to stick around for those. 

On 24/11/2022 at 18:44, villa4europe said:

Empire stands tall above everything else and will never be topped

Rogue one*

Andor

I'd probably say top 3 too at the moment, RotJ has a special nostalgia for me, all the others have various incredible moments and then there's a lot that rather embarrassingly I started but didn't finish - rebels, bad batch, the non CN clone wars

I'd actually go one further and say andor is better than anything disney+ have done for marvel too, if you take out the hulu content (so Dopesick) it's the best thing the service have done

* the surprising thing is that RO was the one that I was most cynical of, be it the spin off element, the casting of Jones which I really didn't like, the reshoots or what, its a stunning film, arguably the prettiest star wars film, the only thing that stops it being 10/10 for me is saw, he's hammy as **** to me (and I think that was a reshoots, they exaggerated his delivery on purpose) he just about got away with it in andor

I might have to rewatch Rogue One. I thought it was decent but not amazing. I really liked the visual style and the feel of the film, but I didn't find the plot that engaging and Saw also rubbed me up the wrong way. Perhaps it'll hit a bit different after watching Andor though. Although Krennic and his office politics with Tarkin were something I enjoyed a lot too, thinking back to it.

Anyway, I really liked the way the space battle in Andor in ep11 had the same style as Rogue One - very visually clean, easy to see what was happening, felt "realistic" - whereas most modern Star Wars battles look an absolute mess. That's part of the reason why I was (and am) hoping for more action in Andor. It's much higher quality than the new trilogy. I'd rather watch half a dozen spaceships have a fight than one thousand Star Destroyers fighting every fighter in the entire galaxy like in Rise of Skywalker.

One thing that was interesting is some of the equipment on the friendly ship in ep11 was actually quite silly (I think everyone who has seen it knows exactly what I'm talking about) and if I'd seen it in one of the other modern SW films / shows I'd probably have rolled my eyes pretty hard. But in Andor I just laughed and thought "that's cool", so I guess most of the show having a serious tone means they can get away with stuff like that.

Edited by Panto_Villan

I would say that rogue one probably benefits from the other films being so shit first and foremost, like I said it's then the most beautifully shot SW film, I'd then say its the closest a SW steps in to being a war film bar maybe the start of ESB, then if I say that really SW for a long time now has been pretty poor but with brilliant moments to keep it going then RO IMO is littered with great moments

Spoiler

Vader obviously, it's the best Vader scene they've ever done, I could probably get on board an argument for it being a contender for the outright best SW scene ever done

Vaders base

The hammerhead

Donnie yen

Death troopers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Dunno why because I know I'll watch it but it never grabs me, just looks OK

I quite enjoy Mando for some reason, but it’ll be interesting to see how it does when I have the genius of Andor relatively fresh in my memory.

Â