Joe Cole

TrentVilla

Anybody just got the feeling that this a good signing? I have and I agree it does feel like a Merson. He doesn't need legs when we have runners all around him. In fact I'd rather he split opposition defences with a bit of skill or a pass rather than running into trouble. We've been crying out for a number 10 since the MON era. Welcome Joe

I think this isn't too bad a signing and worth the gamble.

This isn't though like Merson signing.  Merson was on fire for boro (admit in Championship) and a current England International when he signed.  

This is more like when we released Merson who went and had a storming season at Pompey.

BUT if we are making comparisons what about when an old 36 yr old Gary McCallister left coventry and joined Liverpool.  He then had one of the seasons of his career driving what had been an under performing Liverpool team to the UEFA Cup.

or closer to home:  When Atkinson brought Cowans home for once last stint.

• Like 1

What I can't understand are those commentators saying they thought Cole was a bit "meh" a few years back too. He won 56 caps for England through its "golden generation" scoring 10 goals (so hardly a bit part player) yet to my mind and almost everyone I knew around then was criminally underused, mostly because we didn't know how to us him. He won titles under Mourinho, was a mainstay of that Chelsea side and won player of the season in 08.

Its been a couple of years since Lille, where he last showed any kind of consistent form. 18 months of being farmed out on the wing for Fat Sam and his bunch of long ball buccaneers clearly hasn't suited him well, but still 5 goals and 5 assists in those 30 games is more than any midfielder we previously owned has.

Fitness is the big question. For me, its the only question, because I don't doubt his talent for a second.

great post, in terms fo raw talent when he first came through at west ham I thought he was incredible. essentially played like he was in the street, but on the pitch in front of a full stadium in the best league in the land. whilst he had success with mourinho, i think you are right about him being consistently misused both at club and international level. capello and mourinho are very much defense first, he got his success for chelsea by being very very useful on the break. for my money he would have been better suited to a more progressive side who played possession football. the england sides he played in were never that way inclined either. he would have been a fabulous trequartista in italy, a baggio or a totti type forward who drops back and creates goals.

to use him to the maximum we'd have to use him how united used sherringham at the end of his career. 

• Like 1

i think he's an excellent signing.the fact he chose us and he'll be on less than he could have been elsewhere says a lot about his attitude for me.he wants to play.as for him not playing much at west ham i think he was more a gold/sullivan signing than sams.

great post, in terms fo raw talent when he first came through at west ham I thought he was incredible. essentially played like he was in the street, but on the pitch in front of a full stadium in the best league in the land. whilst he had success with mourinho, i think you are right about him being consistently misused both at club and international level. 

agreed, he was brilliant in central midfield in his last season at west ham.

I remember Merse saying on Soccer Saturday many months ago that Joe Cole would be a good buy for us, and that he was being used out of position at West Ham. Joe Cole is not a winger, he is someone who can pick a clever pass, which most would not see. Hopefully he will do a job for us over the next couple of years, he will certainly add some vision to our midfield which is very predictable, we just have to hope he remains injury free.

The more I think about it...yes if Cole can stay fit then he'll be a real asset for us; I must admit to always liking him as a player.

Cole may be that added link that we've cried out for who can provide the difference in those tight games at home where we have struggled to break down the opposition.

56 caps for England, a PL winners medal and a stint abroad for Lille? We shoud all be happy with this signing; he's still young at 32yrs old.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

The fitness side of thing slightly concerns me.

Big Sam is under a lot of pressure from his fans and he's let go a fan favourite who is the kind of player to entertain and help play the attacking football desired.

Did sam know something about Coles fitness that we're about to find out or is it just another poor decision from a very poor manager?

I guess its going to be a wait and see type signing.

As long as he can run about when he HASN'T got the ball, he'll be 1000X better than what we already have..

It's like none of our squad have even heard John Barnes rapping.. gee whizz.....

• Like 2

Â