Joe Cole

TrentVilla

Strange how West Ham played the better, more expansive football the two times we faced them this season then. Including when Lambert went for five at the back at Upton Park when they were playing without a striker.

We must have watched two different games then and/or have different views on football then, particularly in the game at VP.

Expansive is not a word I would use, we were just shit and they were marginally less shit

Strange how West Ham played the better, more expansive football the two times we faced them this season then. Including when Lambert went for five at the back at Upton Park when they were playing without a striker.

We must have watched two different games then and/or have different views on football then, particularly in the game at VP.

Expansive is not a word I would use, we were just shit and they were marginally less shit

Being more expansive than us doesn't mean it was expansive in the wider context I'd agree.

I thought statistics showed we were one of the most direct teams in the league last year.

That could well change this year but my memory of watching us was that we relied far too much on a long ball to the strikers.

Both games were tight, at home we got suckered by two goals immediately after half time, the first of which was down entirely to defensive error.

I'm all up calling a spade a spade but let's not lose sight of facts

Well you have clearly airbrushed your memory of the games to suit your narrative. We played five at the back in the away game and served up a McLeish-esque performance with only one team on the pitch retaining possession and trying to win the game.

At home, they were far superior to us in the first half, raping both the full-backs time and again and had the only chances. We were fortunate to go in 0-0 but no surprise that we didn't learn our lessons and were caught half asleep early in the second-half. The game was then pretty much lost so we then brought on Albrighton around the hour-mark and finished as we should've started. 'Going for it' when you have nothing to lose and the other team decide to sit on their lead is something that most teams do.

Feel free to read through the match-threads which I'm sure will back up my recollection of the two matches.

The stats showed we played the better passing football when we lost 2-0 at home, itw as our finishing that let us down

We had all the possession after they settled upon 2-0. Can you point out any of the chances we had before Albrighton came on?

True, we made Jarvis look like Ronaldo that day. It was horrifying to say the least.

Albrighton came on when Sam did his, game's won, lets put 10 men behind the ball ploy and had acres to run at them.

• 3 weeks later...

Already making a positive impact on the younger players, which is definitely a good thing.

They're not quite hailing him as ‘Old King Cole’ just yet. But Joe Cole’s arrival at Aston Villa could have an uplifting effect on the claret and blue youngsters, if Gary Garnder’s initial reaction to the veteran playmaker’s signing is anything to go by.

Gardner popped back to Bodymoor Heath yesterday to formally finalise his new two-year contract and the 22-year-old midfielder is glad to be sharing the next 24 months with a man 10 years his senior.

The Bodymoor Heath academy graduate is hoping the former West Ham, Chelsea, Liverpool, Lille and England star will pass on his wealth of experience to Villa’s Premier League wannabes.

“I was buzzing when I heard Joe Cole was joining,” said Gardner. “What a talent he is. It is amazing to have someone like that for players like me to look up to – someone who has played so many games for England, who has been at top Premier League clubs and has worked with the top players.”

“To have someone like that come in is a dream come true for me. “As a young player hopefully to have someone like that, it will help me and make me learn. “He has had his injuries as well and he has proved that he has the strength and determination to come back.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-signing-joe-cole-7350863

• Like 4

Agree. All our possession came after going two down after which they sat deep, let us have the ball and challenged us to break them down. Which we couldn't.

Albrighton gave it a bloody good go all by himself.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My worry is the pace is too much for him now at premier league level...If you look at it he's barely played in this league for the last 3 years...was loaned out to Lille, then came back and wasn't needed at Liverpool and was then in and out for West Ham. That and the frequent injuries he's getting.

Not sure friendlies against league 2 oppsitions are the best to judge.

That said obviously the football intelligence doesn't go away with age. I think he'll be used in the impact sub role particularly away from home.

Mansfield. just saying

The level of opposition has no bearing on how well he can control or pass the ball.

it sort of does though doesnt it.  If they are not pressing or standing off or paying him too much respect or dont have the experience to see what he can do etc etc

Mansfield. just saying

The level of opposition has no bearing on how well he can control or pass the ball.

it sort of does though doesnt it. If they are not pressing or standing off or paying him too much respect or dont have the experience to see what he can do etc etc

It was evident to see what he can bring to the table as his style of play is nothing like any other player we have.

I don't see how the way he can control the football when it is passed to him is affected by the level of opposition. I get what you're saying about the opponents not pressing and such but his range of passing is still blatantly good.

Â