Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

I think the whole thing is getting silly and blown out of proportion.

What Keane did in going out on the field with the plan to injure an opposition player is far worse in my book than Suarez biting people. 

The reason they will throw the book at Suarez is because they don't want kids to believe this is acceptable on a football pitch. Same as spitting at a player also has a long ban. 

• Like 1

Yes theres a lot of hypocrisy among the media. You can do an ott tackle and break someones leg and that is worth 3 games and you can bite someone, not even breaking the skin. The guy won't miss any games and they want the book thrown at him...

I mean the ban element is to do with both bringing the game into disrepute and the harmful act itself. Which explains why an elbow off the ball would command a lesser ban as it's just the harmful act which gets punished.

The only difference is though this is a contact sport, unfortunately reckless tackles/elbows or other challenges happen in football, this stem from day one in footballing history. I agree any delibrate case of leg break (ie. Keane) was just as bad as what Suarez has done, and for instance Keane should have had a longer ban than just 3 games especially he even admitted his intention. (although cant rememeber whether he only admitted it after his playing career or during)

You don't bit someone on the pitch recklessness or by accident. It was intended, and also for the 3rd bloody time. He derserves to have the book thrown at him by football governing body.

Edited by kwoktolai

The only difference is though this is a contact sport, unfortunately reckless tackles/elbows or other challenges happen in football, this stem from day one in footballing history. I agree any delibrate case of leg break (ie. Keane) was just as bad as what Suarez has done, and for instance Keane should have had a longer ban than just 3 games especially he even admitted his intention. (although cant rememeber whether he only admitted it after his playing career or during)

You don't bit someone on the pitch recklessness or by accident. It was intended, and also for the 3rd bloody time. He derserves to have the book thrown at him by football governing body.

Yes a decent ban is in order but it not be better to insist his return is based on having treatment for what is something built into him. He has probably had the biting habit since he was a young child. Its easy to say what nasty horrible person and ban him for life but he offers so much to the game of football it would be ashame if he is lost to it.

Absolutely unbeleivable that some people are even mentioning bad tackles in comparison to this !

He BITES people FFS - it is utterly repulsive and has nothing at all to do with tackling, fouling, or anything else.  Whether those matters are dealt with harshly enough is up for debate, but it has got no connection at all with biting people.

And no, footballers are not role models, that is ridiculous. but they ARE copied.

He deserves as long a ban as it is possible to give.  Ideally he should not be allowed to play again - it is is 3rd offence of the same type.

And also some have said we would say different if he was a Villa player - absolutely not.  If he was a Villa player I would defend and forgive his constant berating of referees, his on field saarcasm at Officials every time he has a decsion against him, and possibly even his diving (although I never defended Ashley Youngs and never heard another fan at the Holte do so)  -but I would n't defend a player for being racist, and I coulkdn't look my kids in the face if I defended a guy biting people.

There is a reason there is so much outrage at this compared to other things that happen in a game, and it is because of the repetitive nature of such a vile action.

• Like 1

No neither has actually done the player any harm. He didn't exactly do a Mike Tyson...

Bans and punishments shouldn't be judged on whether the recipient of the act is hurt or not, or how long they're hurt for. It's completely beside the point.

• Like 1

Absolutely unbeleivable that some people are even mentioning bad tackles in comparison to this !

He BITES people FFS - it is utterly repulsive and has nothing at all to do with tackling, fouling, or anything else. Whether those matters are dealt with harshly enough is up for debate, but it has got no connection at all with biting people.

And no, footballers are not role models, that is ridiculous. but they ARE copied.

He deserves as long a ban as it is possible to give. Ideally he should not be allowed to play again - it is is 3rd offence of the same type.

And also some have said we would say different if he was a Villa player - absolutely not. If he was a Villa player I would defend and forgive his constant berating of referees, his on field saarcasm at Officials every time he has a decsion against him, and possibly even his diving (although I never defended Ashley Youngs and never heard another fan at the Holte do so) -but I would n't defend a player for being racist, and I coulkdn't look my kids in the face if I defended a guy biting people.

There is a reason there is so much outrage at this compared to other things that happen in a game, and it is because of the repetitive nature of such a vile action.

I see your point on certain things, but in my eyes a high tackle on purpose is just as vile. Infact its much worse, to purposely try to break someones leg or even injure them where they need treatment is sick. Suarez was never going to injure that player. I'd rather someone bite my shoulder than try and break my leg or fracture my cheek bone.