Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

I think the media needs take a lot of blame for this. They hounded out Sven who was England best manager in last 20 years mainly because of what he did in his private life. He got England to 2 quarter finals of World CUp and England haven't looked close to getting there before or since he left

• Like 3

The difference between the squad of players available to Sven compared to those available to Roy can't be underestimated. English football has dropped off a cliff in recent years.

Saved me the effort of writing the same.

Sven did well, but he had Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen and Rooney in their prime. All world-class players, depending on your definition.

Roy, to my mind, doesn't have a single player who you'd call world class at the moment. (I realise there are player duplicates, but Gerrard is a hell of a lot older, and Rooney a hell of a lot crapper).

• Like 2

Euro 2004.

That's the last time I think we genuinely could have won a tournament.

2006 yeah we got to the QF but we'd have never gone on to win it, and Portugal were better than us in the QF.

But in 2004 they weren't. And had Rooney not got injured I'm sure we'd have gone on to win that match (we should have won it anyway)

Then a not so great dutch side in the semis and greece in the final.

Obviously I'm not saying it would have been a sure thing, but I think we were capable of winning that. We've not looked capable of winning anything since.

Yeah agree with all the above comments. Sven was a good manager and did well with England, but the calibre of players England had back then was very impressive. I still think on paper England had the 3rd best team in 2006 WC.

The obvious answer to why England haven't been very good compared to the rest of the world since.. ever.. is because we're far too rich. A few more ghettos, a few more slums, a few more million kids desperate to get out of their life condemned to poverty and we'll be fine.

rather than 18 year old football millionaires? 

i might not go to the extremes of ghettos and desperation to get out of that life but i would happily argue that there are greater rewards for english footballers that are bang average than any other nationality

someone on either ITV or BBC actually had that arguement in the studio, using rooney as the example, saying that he was better at euro 2004 than he is now, no progression, no sense that football is a career that you should keep aiming higher and higher rather than the bumper pay day followed by plateauing, the danger now being that younger players are earning silly money before they get out of their teens, the easy example being luke shaw and his rumoured £100k a week deal, as it stands luke shaw is going to get better, when he's paid £5.2m a year at 19 will he sit there and honestly ask himself "do i need to get better" 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

i might not go to the extremes of ghettos and desperation to get out of that life but i would happily argue that there are greater rewards for english footballers that are bang average than any other nationality

someone on either ITV or BBC actually had that arguement in the studio, using rooney as the example, saying that he was better at euro 2004 than he is now, no progression, no sense that football is a career that you should keep aiming higher and higher rather than the bumper pay day followed by plateauing, the danger now being that younger players are earning silly money before they get out of their teens, the easy example being luke shaw and his rumoured £100k a week deal, as it stands luke shaw is going to get better, when he's paid £5.2m a year at 19 will he sit there and honestly ask himself "do i need to get better" 

Hope he does a Stefan Moore

The obvious answer to why England haven't been very good compared to the rest of the world since.. ever.. is because we're far too rich. A few more ghettos, a few more slums, a few more million kids desperate to get out of their life condemned to poverty and we'll be fine.

I know this comment was tongue in cheek. But I do believe that is a small element of truth in that. But of course there are many examples that go against that like Germany, Netherlands and now Belgium.

• Like 2

Yep, this is the problem.

Players signing for Man City, on £150k a week. Whilst they may believe themselves that they'll play every week, the reality is most of the time they won't.

Even people like James Milner, who you wouldn't think would be the money grabbing type, has surely suffered from just being a bit part player for City.

i don't think its necessarily the bit part player element that's detrimental to their development, its the why do i need to progress from here element that's detrimental

even if milner was playing every week would he be there in training every day with a desire to get better? or would he think I'm winning the league, I'm winning cups, I'm playing in the champions league, I'm playing for England, I'm on £120k a week, that's me done... which is the arguement with rooney, he's not peaking at 26-30, has complacency crept in because he had everything by the time he was 21, he's not got better with age

Edited by villa4europe

The Fifa press conference has started according to the BBC, due to update on the Suarez situation. 

Edit. Running late, not started yet. Dental records sent for. :)

Edited by Seat68

Nine match ban according to this Uruguayan journalist that the guardian felt sufficiently official enough to plaster onto their minute-by-minute update:

Linky!

Edit and banned from any footballing activity for 4 months according to a FIFA flunky doing the media breifing.

Edited by CardiffGreens