Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

A WC ban isn't going to be enough, as they may just be 1 match. I think FIFA need to impose a timed ban, which needs to be greater than 10 games. Maybe a 4 month ban from all competitions as a MINIMUM

Just send him to a psychiatrist, ffs. It's clear that he does it on impulse, logic (i.e. banning him for games in the hope that he will learn) will not work.

Just send him to a psychiatrist, ffs. It's clear that he does it on impulse, logic (i.e. banning him for games in the hope that he will learn) will not work.

The ban is not to just make him learn to not do it again. It's there to show there are consequences for actions and to let kids who see him as an idol to know you can't go biting people on a football pitch. 

• Like 3

Can't see how he can be banned from all competitions tbh.

As world governing body FIFA can impose any ban they like can't they? I'm sure it would come in the guise of a recommendation to UEFA / the FA / The Premier League, but they could push it through I'd have thought.

It's just never happened before though. FIFA are essentially dealing a hammer blow to Liverpool football club financially for a competition they let him go play in while they still payed him. It's unjust to Liverpool football club to ban him for something he didn't do while playing for them. 

This is why FIFA won't do it, that's why they keep bans from club and country separate. They'll give him a long ban from international football. 

As world governing body FIFA can impose any ban they like can't they? I'm sure it would come in the guise of a recommendation to UEFA / the FA / The Premier League, but they could push it through I'd have thought.

But why should Liverpool be punished for something he did with Uraguay? 

You would change your tune if it was our player who did something stupid on international duty.

EDIT: And as Conner says above, clubs would never let their players go play internationals again if their actions in those games could result in a punishment for the club. 

Edited by LondonLax

The ban is not to just make him learn to not do it again. It's there to show there are consequences for actions and to let kids who see him as an idol to know you can't go biting people on a football pitch. 

Fair enough, good point.

Although, at this stage, I would also think a lot about how to stop him from doing such batshit stuff again.

On the flip side, how many players are sold for huge profits by their clubs after excelling at national team level?

In this specific case I have no sympathy for Liverpool, they knew exactly what he was capable of and rewarded it with a huge bumper contract. They knew the risk, and its coming back to erm, bite them.

• Like 1

Liverpool could actually benefit from all of this.

This whole fiasco could quite easily pull the plug on any prospective deal that Barcelona or Real Madrid might have had lined up for him. I would have thought that Barcelona (in particular) would be put off signing a player with such a bad reputation.

Secondly, if Suarez is banned from International Football for a couple of years, then that's a couple of years where he doesn't have to travel the world during international breaks. 

You would change your tune if it was our player who did something stupid on international duty.

EDIT: And as Conner says above, clubs would never let their players go play internationals again if their actions in those games could result in a punishment for the club. 

Yes, you are right... A lot of us would change our tune if it was our player who did stupid on international duty...

But it wasn't our player and its about time someone threw the book at Suarez properly...

Also, in retrospect, I seem to remember us lot booing Alpay at Villa Park for sticking a finger in Beckhams face...

Kick Uruguay out of the tournament!!! Cop on Son. Punish everyone who's met Suarez because he bit someone again. Sounds logical to me.....

Clearly banning him didnt work last time, one thing that would make him (or anyone else) to think twice before commiting something similar would be punish the team he plays for. Unfair to the rest of the players I know, but perhaps more effective.

Still not going to happen

I think Suarez is great, he's so daft. 

Yeah, what a legend, assaulting people on a football pitch is just a daft thing after all. LEAVE SUAREZ ALONE!!!

As far as I'm concerned he's just a daft idiot. He's not biting people out of premeditated malice like say Roy Keane. He's just doing these things because he's a petulant idiot. I think it's rather funny and amusing more than anything. 

Of course he'll get punished for these stupid biting incidents. But tbh as odd as this may be to some people, I'd love to see him do it again. Just to see if he gets banned for life or something. 

• Like 2