Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

What is Actual Bodily Harm?

Assault causing actual bodily harm (ABH) is a criminal offence which is governed by Section 47 of the Offences Against the Person Act.

In this case the assault or battery needs to cause harm to the person’s body.  The harm is not necessarily serious but it would need to be more than a shove which would remain common assault.  Harm such as bruises, scratches and bite marks is sufficient.

What needs to be remembered when dealing with ABH is that there only needs to be intention to apply unlawful force not the intention to cause actual bodily harm.  If someone pushes another he will have intended to apply unlawful force.  If the person who was pushed then bangs his head this will be charged under Section 47 even if the defendant did not intend the victim to hurt their head.

Will there be a prison sentence?

ABH carries a maximum sentence of five years. 

As with common assault, if someone is being charged for the first time it is unlikely that they will go to prison with a fine the usual outcome.  Again, if the offender has previous convictions or if they were proven to have had a particular motivation for the attack, specifically if it is racially motivated this could however lead to a prison sentence.

If he did it on the street he would be facing jail according to our laws

If he was a nobody in our country exhibiting the same behaviour he'd be punished by the law

The bloke needs to be punished more severely this time by the governing bodies considering its a repeat offence and he has previous but because he's a foo

Edited by AshVilla

The way I look at it is, biting someone on a football field is just unpleasent to view that's all. What's worse, biting someone or going in with your studs up on someone's leg. The studs up is much worse imo as you could break someone's leg, where just biting someone the way suarez has you will be lucky if you break skin. You see much worse in sunday league football, as I said its just considered dirty and unpleasent but that's it.

I'm a little dismayed that I have to type this sentence, but -- Biting another human being is never acceptable behavior under any circumstances. Biting is worse. Bad tackling is part of the game -- deliberately bad tackles are abhorrent, but still part of the game. Biting is not part of any game, or part of normal society.
Although I understand where you are coming from I do think going out to hurt someone and potentially leave them injured or worse is just as bad as a childish petulant bite from a tantrum. The guy clearly has issues and will be banned. It's almost like he has the mind of a child...biting, crying all the time, not knowing what is classed as racism. He is like a very talented lost child.

I still wouldn't want him gone if he was playing for Villa. Superb player.

Edited by Amo69
  • Like 2

He could have at least made it look like an accident. Like maybe kick up his heels so it makes it look like he just happened to sink his front teeth into Chellini while falling. From the angles, he clearly has a look down at Chellini's shoulder, then strikes.

its obviously an instant reaction from suarez, it aint planned. He just see's red then bites down, where as some players will plan a bad tackle. They are in my eyes worse, its obvious suarez has issues he needs to address.
It's not a reaction to anything though, it's something he must have in his mind almost constantly, waiting for an opportunity to do it. He's a wrong un, and a corrective action of some sort is required.

Instant reaction to what?

when he does that he's in a struggle with the defender, his short fuse then goes and he bites.
The first contact is with teeth - Suarez approaches the defender from behind and bites him - there isn't a struggle until he does that.
he don't just bite him, there is contact between them which obviously wrongly upsets suarez then he bites.

Have a look - he approaches him from behind and bites him - there's no contact until that happens. It's premeditated, not a reaction. 

Bye bye England.

Positives: Barkley looks like he'll develop into a player, and Luke Shaw put in an impressive performance - full of running, decent going back.

Otherwise it was another disappointing performance. England looked scrappy in possession, with no composure on the ball. Too many passes were off target or over-hit, Lallana was disappointing, Wilshire has confidence that his talents do not justify, Sturridge was anonymous and Jones is, frankly, dog dirt. I understand the sentiment of giving some of these players a run out but if that's England's future I expect many more years of hurt.

And Suarez should go. I can't understand the idea that because he's good at kicking a ball we should overlook his numerous failings. In any other profession racial slurs and repeated physical assaults would see you fired and probably prosecuted; I don't see why Suarez should be any different and no, I wouldn't want him at villa.

• Like 1

He could have at least made it look like an accident. Like maybe kick up his heels so it makes it look like he just happened to sink his front teeth into Chellini while falling. From the angles, he clearly has a look down at Chellini's shoulder, then strikes.

its obviously an instant reaction from suarez, it aint planned. He just see's red then bites down, where as some players will plan a bad tackle. They are in my eyes worse, its obvious suarez has issues he needs to address.
It's not a reaction to anything though, it's something he must have in his mind almost constantly, waiting for an opportunity to do it. He's a wrong un, and a corrective action of some sort is required.

Instant reaction to what?

when he does that he's in a struggle with the defender, his short fuse then goes and he bites.
The first contact is with teeth - Suarez approaches the defender from behind and bites him - there isn't a struggle until he does that.
he don't just bite him, there is contact between them which obviously wrongly upsets suarez then he bites.

Have a look - he approaches him from behind and bites him - there's no contact until that happens. It's premeditated, not a reaction.
I'll have another look at it tomorrow but it seemed to be they were in contact.

To be honest I think that is almost the perfect result to make me feel slightly less Shite about how average/crap we are.

Italians are out and Balotelli can go to sleep dreaming of kissing our Queenies arse.

Uruguayans are through but doubt they'll get very far. He asked whether the English were still laughing at him the other night. Well Luis we stopped for about two days but yes, yes we are. You stupid tit, what on earth could have happened to him in his past to lead someone to be this dim!

I wonder if his big move will now be stopped? I doubt it but I'll tell myself it is for a couple of days

Rugeley - I see forwards and strikers contesting balls all the time, sometimes body checking and pushy, sometimes violently and handbags at dawn afterwards. It's a physical game, as much as FIFA don't seem to want to admit that.

But I don't often see the attacking player trying to eat the defender.

I say not often, I have seen it a couple of times. Well three actually. Once, twice, three times a Suarez.

Does that excuse it though? The fact is you will do a lot more damage with an elbow or high tackle. I'm not excusing suarez but just because bad tackles are part of the game it does not make it a lesser offence than biting.

Elbow, you have two of them, players swing them about, it happens.

High tackle, part of the game and it happens sometimes in disgrace, sometimes by accident (or to put it more accurately, 'unintentionally'). OK.

EATING PLAYERS NO, STOP EATING PLAYERS.

Does that excuse it though? The fact is you will do a lot more damage with an elbow or high tackle. I'm not excusing suarez but just because bad tackles are part of the game it does not make it a lesser offence than biting.

It's not about the harm that's done to the other player, though. It's more comparable to calling an opponent a racist slur (another of Suarez's party pieces). That doesn't physically injure the player either. But it has no place in the game, or in polite society.

• Like 1

Yeah if its accident fair enough, but sometimes its on purpose but players get away with it. You can't get away with accidently biting someone,because its impossible. Its ok to elbow someone then because its part of the game and you can just say it was an accident.

It's not about the harm that's done to the other player, though. It's more comparable to calling an opponent a racist slur (another of Suarez's party pieces). That doesn't physically injure the player either. But it has no place in the game, or in polite society.

and neither does purposely elbowing someone, what's polite about that? I remember one of our heroes doing the nazi salute at spurs, he didn't mean it though did he so its ok. Football is a gentlemans game played by thugs.

Seriously? What didn you expect, an urgent press conference a couple of hours after the game? Maybe they could have broadcast it over all known television channels, and drafted in a supporting statement from the UN.