Roy Keane

TrentVilla

Maybe he hasn't come to be an Assistant to Lambert but someone who the new owners have pencilled in to take charge. Seems strange that he'd take the job not knowing what's going on with the future of the club. Although I say lets just give Lambert and Keane a chance and see how they do.

I find it amusing that people are against keane because there's no proof he's a good coach but then in the same breath advocating Laursen instead.

• Like 4

I find it amusing that people are against keane because there's no proof he's a good coach but then in the same breath advocating Laursen instead.

Very good point. Regardless of his managerial record he seems to be a wanted man either as a coach/manager/pundit. It may be he's a good coach but hasn't got the diplomacy skills to be a manager. Hopefully he's winning mentality and high standards can rub off on the players that alone could be priceless especially on the next crop of youngsters. I can't see it being a long term appointment as I think he'll still want to be top man but he may have massive effect in the mean time.

• Like 1

Strange time to be a villan. Don't know what to make of this.

I think Keane were told he was not the frontrunner for the Celtic job. So this is his most interesting job offer at the moment.

I assume he has enough money to not be too concerned about job security. There is a fair chance the club will be taken over, and nobody knows what will happen then. So it's an interesting situation where he can't loose. 

in the short term I think it would be good for clowns like Baker, Weimann, Clark, Lowton etc to have a boot put up them. In the long term it will only end in tears.

Personalities like Keane's will only ever have a short term impact, over time you become immune to ranters and ravers and gradually just tune them out ( a bit like I did with my ex). Pretty soon you just end up witha  abunch of unhappy, disillusioned players devoid of any confidence or happiness.

One is a local hero who hasnt had the chance to prove anything yet and the other is the opposite of all that. Amusing indeed.

Hated him as a player mainly cause of that tackle that ended Alf inge hålands career, but he certainly is a big name in football and this might not be such a bad idea.

Will get alot of respect from the players.

Strange time to be a villan. Don't know what to make of this.

I think Keane were told he was not the frontrunner for the Celtic job. So this is his most interesting job offer at the moment.

or he knows Villa are a bigger club :)

Hated him as a player mainly cause of that tackle that ended Alf inge hålands career, but he certainly is a big name in football and this might not be such a bad idea.

That isn't really true though, is it?

• Like 1

One is a local hero who hasnt had the chance to prove anything yet and the other is the opposite of all that. Amusing indeed.

local hero?

in the short term I think it would be good for clowns like Baker, Weimann, Clark, Lowton etc to have a boot put up them. In the long term it will only end in tears.

Personalities like Keane's will only ever have a short term impact, over time you become immune to ranters and ravers and gradually just tune them out ( a bit like I did with my ex). Pretty soon you just end up witha  abunch of unhappy, disillusioned players devoid of any confidence or happiness.

Hey, I reckon we could save ourselves a few quid then. Been there, done that, bought the T shirt.

Apologhies if this may have already been mentioned but my take on this is:

1. Lambert needs an assistant and fairly quickly;

2. There a limited options open to him because of the current turmoil and he knows Keane quite well (apparently);

3. Who would realistically come in when the club is likley to be sold other than someone out of work or soemone in Keane's position;

4. Keane can retain both his TV role and his Ireland role (which are both part time at best) as well as working on a full time coaching basis at the top level, keeping him in the public eye;

5. Keane's reputation will be enhanced if he is seen as helping Lambert turn things around;

6. If he can't it was always an impossible job anyway;

7. Given 4 above it really won't make any difference to him if a new owner wants him out following a takeover.

Seems a no brainer for Keane provided he has the time and inclination to do it.

• Like 1

They're both unproven as an Assistant Manager.

Which is my point. There's no more evidence to show Laursen would be a good coach than there is for Keane.

Yes, Laursen is a "hero" in Villa fan's eyes. But statistically, players promoted to manager with no experience apart from playing are usually a flop. Again that's not directly comparable as the stats are for manager, not assistant. But that's the same in using Keane's managerial record against him (which, ironically, isn't actually bad at all).

Given the choice, I'd probably go for Laursen too. But the opinion that Keane will be terrible and Laursen will be great is baffling to me

I think Keane has for want of a better word grown up a lot in the last 18 months. I think for one thing, it takes an awful lot for someone who was such a top player, and tipped to be a great manager before he got into it, to accept that he's not good enough (yet) to be a number one, he needs to learn things, and therefore he's humbly accepted O'Neill's offer to become number 2 at RoI. He had a massive ego, and to think he's not good enough to sit in the drivers seat shows to me he's willing to learn. You look at how he left United, he slagged off the likes of Darren Fletcher & John O'Shea after they were embarrassed by Middlesbrough, its the same reason United were so poor last year, Ferguson had built himself a team of mentally soft players, that's the reason they were so poor this year. 

• Like 1

I'm sure I read recently that we committed more fouls than any other team in the league. So not sure that approach will make much difference.

That's down to the fact we are poor in midfield whcih in turn puts pressure on the defense and both mayke silly fouls. Good midfielders know when, where and how to tackle. Our players just get frustrated at the lack of ball and go and kick someone or lunge in when they shouldn't.

We're not dirty, we're just clumsy.

While Villa goes through yet another devastating period of it's history and we have an owner that wants out and a manager that can't manage 17 pages have been dedicated to this dross.

OMG what is AVFC coming to!

Â