Roy Keane

TrentVilla

Not a bad appointment for me. The one thing I do worry about is that being the fiery character he is, he might undermine Lambert.

Apparently they're good friends, I guess because of the Celtic connection.

Seems nailed on then. Not sure what to make of it. What will he bring? Will there be another addition? What's does it mean if we get taken over? It poses more questions than answers. Hopefully Keane will stand up to Lambert a bit when he comes up with his formations as the other 2 didn't seem to do anything and for every good result against bigger teams there was 2 bad ones against lower teams. I'd still like an attacking coach of sorts as our movement is awful off the ball!

I think Keane may be able to help with this. We never have enough backbone to see off the teams we "should" be beating, and for what ever reason Culverhouse couldn't put that backbone into the players. I don't think it was so much as just tactics, just that we seemed to roll over or be too nervous against those teams.

Hopefully Keane will add a bit of bite to the players so they can stand up for themselves in the scrappier games.

Keane is a dreadful appointment IMO. What is he really going to add other then add a bit of fear into the players....they have enough of that playing at Villa Park as it is. 

They're too wrapped in cotton wool though. Lost to a league one team over 2 legs because they were bullied, they are due a big kick up the arse.

Well I disagree, I think they are just poor players with an awful manager. The players really struggle passing the ball to each other, this is nothing to do with being wrapped up in cotton wool, shouting at them more certainly isn't going to fix it. We're poor at football because the coaching is obviously poor, the tactics are poor and ultimately, the players are poor. 

How Roy Keane is going to improve any of the above is beyond me. In fact, I think it's more likely to just have yet another negative impact on our season next year. 

I disagree, there is a lot of limited players there who have become world class through sheer effort and desire. Keane an example himself, look at him he couldn't pass like Scholes, cross like Beckham, or dribble like Giggs but he was still the most important cog in that midfield. Makelele is another example, the man couldn't even take a penalty kick but has pretty much changed football the last ten years. How many times did you come away from a Villa match last year and think, they left it all out there, they may have lost but jesus they really gave it their all. I'm guessing none. That's all we as fans can as we someone steps onto the pitch in the claret & blue.

Seems nailed on then. Not sure what to make of it. What will he bring? Will there be another addition? What's does it mean if we get taken over? It poses more questions than answers. Hopefully Keane will stand up to Lambert a bit when he comes up with his formations as the other 2 didn't seem to do anything and for every good result against bigger teams there was 2 bad ones against lower teams. I'd still like an attacking coach of sorts as our movement is awful off the ball!

I think Keane may be able to help with this. We never have enough backbone to see off the teams we "should" be beating, and for what ever reason Culverhouse couldn't put that backbone into the players. I don't think it was so much as just tactics, just that we seemed to roll over or be too nervous against those teams.

Hopefully Keane will add a bit of bite to the players so they can stand up for themselves in the scrappier games.

won't that bring even more stupid tackles and unecessary bookings?

Tackling and closing down requires technique also, something our players don't really have.

I never liked Keane as a player, but he was a winner. However I do like what he says when i've seen him on ITV so if he and Lambert are friends then I think this might just work.

Both of them have a tremendous amount of experience between them.

And both found wanting at managerial level.

Keane isn't coming in as a manager. He's coming in as an assistant. His managerial record means sod all to me. Brian Kidd failed at Blackburn as a manager, but he's still wanted as a coach at Man City. As someone mentioned earlier, we have a few fans saying bring in Rene Meulenstein, who don't look at his failure as a manager, so why do we look at Keane's?

Edited by SikhInTrinity
  • Like 1

Awful appointment but at least he fits in with the manager in that they were both no nonsense players who have both been proved woeful as managers. To be fair they are not the first good players to be shite in management and if these two are running the team I expect more one dimensional turgid hoofball except we will now probably kick seven shades of shite out of teams and end up playing with 10 men on the pitch for most of the season.

Thanks Lerner!

Awful appointment but at least he fits in with the manager in that they were both no nonsense players who have both been proved woeful as managers. To be fair they are not the first good players to be shite in management and if these two are running the team I expect more one dimensional turgid hoofball except we will now probably kick seven shades of shite out of teams and end up playing with 10 men on the pitch for most of the season.

Thanks Lerner!

He's not going to be manager.

It's a massive difference

Keane isn't coming in as a manager. He's coming in as an assistant. His managerial record means sod all to me. Brian Kidd failed at Blackburn as a manager, but he's still wanted as a coach at Man City. As someone mentioned earlier, we have a few fans saying bring in Rene Meulenstein, who don't look at his failure as a manager, so why do we look at Keane's?

He has no record as a day to day coach being a shite manager doesn't automatically make you a good coach either? He may be a shite coach as well?

He has no record as a day to day coach being a shite manager doesn't automatically make you a good coach either? He may be a shite coach as well?

The key word being "may"

won't that bring even more stupid tackles and unecessary bookings?

Tackling and closing down requires technique also, something our players don't really have.

To be honest, if being hard to break down against the "lesser" sides in the division means we have to be a bit dirtier, get a few more bookings and give away some silly fouls every so often, then so be it, especially if it means we don't have to worry as much about relegation.

All hypothetical of course though, we have no idea whether Keane will give us some backbone or whether he'll alienate every man and his dog at Villa.

Â