Roy Keane

TrentVilla

Clearly you haven't been reading my posts properly because I've done this a number of times in the past.

- Lambert is the exact opposite of O'Neill in transfer policy. He goes abroad and to the lower leagues whereas O'Neill bought almost exclusively from the Premier League

- Lambert rotates and tinkers quite a lot, O'Neill did not

- Lambert at times has shown himself to be quite tactically astute (although he can also be tactically dreadful)

- O'Neill bought experience, Lambert goes for youth

- Lambert makes more substitions

Other than the fact that they wear glasses, have a close personal relationship and both have links to Celtic I can't see that many similarities. It's a lazy comparison.

I agree about the buying abroad thing and have always said so. Regarding "tactical astuteness", I'm not even going to waste time responding to that.

Now the similarities:

- Both embrace a one-dimensional, counter-attacking philosophy which is generally more successful away.

- Both engage in clear favouritism and always play certain players regardless of how poorly they play.

- Both oversaw the same hands-off training sessions.

- Both share the same levels of stubborness and abrasive attitutes which results in complete alienation of players that they fall out with.

- Both are too reactionary to ever give academy players a run in the team.

- Neither hardly ever make game-changing substitutions.

There are probably more but that's off the top of my head. So no, it isn't "lazy" at all no matter how much you choose not to see the blatant similarities.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Clearly you haven't been reading my posts properly because I've done this a number of times in the past.

- Lambert is the exact opposite of O'Neill in transfer policy. He goes abroad and to the lower leagues whereas O'Neill bought almost exclusively from the Premier League

- Lambert at times has shown himself to be quite tactically astute (although he can also be tactically dreadful)

Other than the fact that they wear glasses, have a close personal relationship and both have links to Celtic I can't see that many similarities. It's a lazy comparison.

I agree about the buying abroad thing and have always said so. Regarding "tactical astuteness", I'm not even going to waste time responding to that.

Now the similarities:

- Both embrace a one-dimensional, counter-attacking philosophy which is generally more successful away.

- Both engage in clear favouritism and always play certain players regardless of how poorly they play.

- Both share the same levels of stubborness and abrasive attitutes which results in complete alienation of players that they fall out with.

There are probably more but that's off the top of my head. So no, it isn't "lazy" at all no matter how much you choose not to see the blatant similarities.

But you could say pretty much all of that about pretty much every Manager, and if you read other fans sites, they do.

Those similarities are common all over.

'Gane changing substitutions ?.easy when you have £50 million subs on the bench, much less common than imagined everywhere else.

• Like 2

But you could say pretty much all of that about pretty much every Manager, and if you read other fans sites, they do.

Those similarities are common all over.

Feel free to draw up a list of similarities between someone like Houllier and Lambert then to prove your point.

'Gane changing substitutions ?.easy when you have £50 million subs on the bench, much less common than imagined everywhere else.

Or perhaps if Lambert had bought players he actually rated last summer to provide such options rather than Helenius and Tovev eh?

Strange how you say it is "easy" when you have an expensive bench despite the fact that MON, who is being discussed, disproves that.

Now the similarities:

Lambert's Norwich played some pretty decent stuff and so too at times have his Villa team (just not nearly as often as we'd like).

As said above, most of those things (and some of them are debatable) are things that are common to many managers.

Yes, I think it is lazy. If they didn't have that Celtic connection (and the glasses) would people honestly be comparing them?

I find the "favourites" argument is a difficult one to make when there isn't really any alternatives in our squad. One thing that successful teams tend to have is a consistent first 11, and two of the relegated squads (Fulham and Cardiff) were terrible for not having a consistent first 11. Sunderland only started climbing when Poyet settled on a stable first 11.

Both Gabby and Weimann really should have been dropped more often last season, but who would have replaced them? Helenius? Tonev? Holt? We just didn't have the depth.

Unless there are clear alternatives, trying to talk about favouritism always seems like an argument based on dodgy logic.

• Like 2

MON has the ability to get the best out of players and make them appear better than they are. I don't think Lambert is as much of a man manager as MON was but I do think he would buy a higher calibre of player if he had the resources MON had.

@patmurphybbc: Re Keane/Villa - understand it was talks about talks between Lambert & RK a few wks ago.No offer made,RK off to USA with Ireland.No urgency

@patmurphybbc: Lambert & Keane known each other for yrs,get on well - but no significance to Celtic/Villa stories emerging same day.Might happen.May not

Especially considering the fact that he dropped guys in positions where there were alternatives, like lowton for bacuna, benteke for kozak, Clark for baker.

The only under performers that id say kept playing without repercussion were Weimann and sometimes gabby, but it's because villa didn't have better options.

MON has the ability to get the best out of players and make them appear better than they are. I don't think Lambert is as much of a man manager as MON was but I do think he would buy a higher calibre of player if he had the resources MON had.

just didn't get the best out of them ....every march.

Especially considering the fact that he dropped guys in positions where there were alternatives, like lowton for bacuna, benteke for kozak, Clark for baker.

The only under performers that id say kept playing without repercussion were Weimann and sometimes gabby, but it's because villa didn't have better options.

Well there were times when KEA, Westwood and even player-of-the-year Delph could have used a rest/kick up the backside. It's been well documented on here how little options there are in midfield though.

@patmurphybbc: Re Keane/Villa - understand it was talks about talks between Lambert & RK a few wks ago.No offer made,RK off to USA with Ireland.No urgency

@patmurphybbc: Lambert & Keane known each other for yrs,get on well - but no significance to Celtic/Villa stories emerging same day.Might happen.May not

Trent says it is a done deal. I believe Trent over Pat.

Trent says it is a done deal. I believe Trent over Pat.

Didn't think he'd said that ?

I don't see why he can't have his own thread, it's not exactly goal.com or random bits of speculation (and unlike transfers we don't really have an assistant manager speculation thread) this sounds like it happening

Its a done deal according to my source. And before someone thinks I'm some kind of fake ITK this is the first time I've claimed to be ITK.

HP or Daddies?

I've never heard that one before...

Â