Philippe Senderos

samjp26

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Vlaar will be back for the Everton game.

Sigh.....every summer Lambert has signed one centre back....every season that has proved not to be enough....I don't know how much more obvious it can be really...

They're called injuries - ever heard of them?

Any need for that?

I find it hard to believe that 3 seasons in row we have an injury crisis at centre back - entirely avoidable IMO - Clark not good enough, Baker needs a minder, Vlaar has injury problems and usually has a spell out of the side, Okore is relatively untested at this level and has been out for over a year with a very serious injury - he was never going to slot in as though he hadn't been away. Yeah the numbers are there, - but the cover isn't

I find it hard to believe that 3 seasons in row we have an injury crisis at centre back - entirely avoidable IMO - Clark not good enough, Baker needs a minder, Vlaar has injury problems and usually has a spell out of the side, Okore is relatively untested at this level and has been out for over a year with a very serious injury - he was never going to slot in as though he hadn't been away. Yeah the numbers are there, - but the cover isn't

How is it avoidable? If Okore hadn't got that really serious injury things would probably be radically different - we would've had one extra CB last year (who by the way is probably better than Clark and Baker), he would've got vital experience and by this season we wouldn't be having to bring him back slowly.

What should Lambert have done differently? 5 CBs is enough.

Edited by Mantis

How is it avoidable? If Okore hadn't got that really serious injury things would probably be radically different - we would've had one extra CB last year (who by the way is probably better than Clark and Baker), he would've got vital experience and by this season we wouldn't be having to bring him back slowly.

He should have predicted it he should have known 2 months into the season that senderos and vlaar would be injured and he should have bought 2 more - well at least that 's what it says in FM and Fifa2zillion. ;)

He should have predicted it he should have known 2 months into the season that senderos and vlaar would be injured and he should have bought 2 more - well at least that 's what it says in FM and Fifa2zillion. ;)

Actually Lambert had said himself he expected Vlaar to be injured at some point this season - due to playing through summer

He can't. Control injuries - but he can manage the impact they have

Hindsight, never fails does it.

I don't recall too many people asking for another centre back on deadline day although can't claim to have read every related post around then of course

Its not really hindsight though is it. I suppose its whether you considered Okore would be ready to step in - If he was (is) then we have the cover - If that was questionable then we were still short of CB'S. It could be that Vlaars fit, or Okore is ready or both - IMO that's highly optimistic - but we shall see

The side is evolving, and it is going to take time to clear some of these and get others up to speed.

What do you want, 6 first team CBs, or 7?

We have signed an international CB in the last 3 summers, not enough I suppose.

Edited by rodders0223

We are going to miss the big fella, I never thought I would be thinking that when he signed but I have been very impressed with Senderos.

If we see the Chuckle Brothers together again then I fear the worse but I don't blame Lambert for injuries, shit happens. Let's hope for a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

The side is evolving, and it is going to take time to clear some of these and get others up to speed.

I wouldn't class Clark as a first team CB - Okore is pretty untested at this level and pre season looked way off.  - So IMO we have Senderos\Vlaar - with Baker as backup -  its proven not to be enough.

Any team would struggle with two CBs out at the same time, look at Man. United this season.

Look at Arsenal aswell with Mertasacker, Koscienley....erm.

In terms of numbers we're fine. 5 senior CBs, you won't find many prem clubs with that number. Whether some of them are good enough is a fair question but even the top clubs don't have world class CBs right through their squad.

• Like 1

I wouldn't class Clark as a first team CB - Okore is pretty untested at this level and pre season looked way off.  - So IMO we have Senderos\Vlaar - with Baker as backup -  its proven not to be enough.

We have 5 natural first team CBs - you can't just discount two because they're not good enough to start/unproven.

Clark is an international CB and so is the CB of San Marino, doesn't mean they are good enough.

Baker and Clark will only ever be okay if they have Vlaar/Senderos looking after them. Okore is  the best young CB we have but he lacks experience. 4/5 CBs is enough, but when Vlaar is missing a lot of games we should have got another CB in and got rid of Clark or Baker.

Any combination of defence without Vlaar is always a worry.

Clark is an international CB and so is the CB of San Marino, doesn't mean they are good enough.

Baker and Clark will only ever be okay if they have Vlaar/Senderos looking after them. Okore is  the best young CB we have but he lacks experience. 4/5 CBs is enough, but when Vlaar is missing a lot of games we should have got another CB in and got rid of Clark or Baker.

Any combination of defence without Vlaar is always a worry.

Certainly I felt that Vlaar, Senderos, Baker, Clark and Okore would be sufficient.

Okore, I knew, was unproven, and has not really shown too much yet in his limited time on the pitch.

There is also Donacien, who may be `our best young centre back'.

Â