The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

25 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Add a 2 at the front easily. 

Not in the UK, not even close. You'd double it in the private sector though.

I wouldn't want to work in the civil service even with salary parity, and they're nowhere close for most technical roles. Probably why most public sector tech is absolutely appalling, with a few notable exceptions.

49 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not in the UK, not even close. You'd double it in the private sector though.

I wouldn't want to work in the civil service even with salary parity, and they're nowhere close for most technical roles. Probably why most public sector tech is absolutely appalling, with a few notable exceptions.

I mean in the private sector, in any other head of cyber role.

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I mean in the private sector, in any other head of cyber role.

That's what I meant; that would be an absolutely exceptional salary in the UK for that kind of role, tech pays well but nowhere near that well. You might double it, but certainly not quarter of a mill, even in London

Eg., 120k https://www.totaljobs.com/job/head-of-cyber-security/sanderson-recruitment-job99993623?searchCriteria=Head+Cyber&src=search&page=1&position=2&source=jobsite&WT.mc_id=A_PT_CrossBrand_Jobsite

90k in Oxford https://uk.indeed.com/q-head-cyber-security-jobs.html?vjk=fed0375cf1ba52de

85-90k in London https://uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=head+cyber+security&start=20&pp=gQAeAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB_hkuCgBBAQIBBxIHAJqv-pGnq5FxrjcIWVNDQMsJjR5hXgbhJxACswVXzKt3Qs54l_2S3aaKZOR1NgwkV3fOjZVbA3zdmm4AAA&vjk=36818eed61204df5&advn=2472342732084799

The Treasury one is well under, but not by 200k

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

For a Head of Security/CISO at a Financial Services role that would be significantly under paid.

I know plenty of basic Security Analysts/Auditors based in the regions on more than what the Treasury is offering.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Genie said:

The powers that at my place have definitely changed the setting in Teams which makes the status icon appear idle/amber. It’s about 12 seconds now.

I had that problem too Dave. My laptop would lock if I was away or dozing at my desk. It was a ballache to log back in.....then I heard about "keep alive" powershell scripts that prevents that happening AND turning your Teams status from green to amber. Just do a Google search on it and there's always some nerd willing to share their geeky knowledge.

Works a dream for me.

Sorry if I am preaching to the converted but one click on the script sat on my desktop and I'm all set. It was something I wasn't aware of.

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

The powers that at my place have definitely changed the setting in Teams which makes the status icon appear idle/amber. It’s about 12 seconds now.

Message yourself, paperweight on the spacebar and do something else. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I had that problem too Dave. My laptop would lock if I was away or dozing at my desk. It was a ballache to log back in.....then I heard about "keep alive" powershell scripts that prevents that happening AND turning your Teams status from green to amber. Just do a Google search on it and there's always some nerd willing to share their geeky knowledge.

Works a dream for me.

Sorry if I am preaching to the converted but one click on the script sat on my desktop and I'm all set. It was something I wasn't aware of.

I don’t reckon a script on the laptop would be allowed. I might invest in one of these.

IMG-8569.jpg

• Like 1

Are you actually judged if you're amber for a bit or is this just a proactive worried about perception thing?

I'm quite happy I work in a team where it's quite acceptable to just say "stuck on a problem, going to go for a walk and have a think". I have a big whiteboard in my home office I use to map out ideas and designs as well, so people are quite used to me not being green but still working, I'd hate to feel so micromanaged I need to give a shit about my teams status

• Like 2

In my experience, these things are only ever used/referenced when people already feel like individuals are not contributing. If a perception exists that youre not working, taking time away, id expect this to become a future metric that gets looked at.

As others have said, i wont work in an environment where this is used. 

47 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Are you actually judged if you're amber for a bit or is this just a proactive worried about perception thing?

I'm quite happy I work in a team where it's quite acceptable to just say "stuck on a problem, going to go for a walk and have a think". I have a big whiteboard in my home office I use to map out ideas and designs as well, so people are quite used to me not being green but still working, I'd hate to feel so micromanaged I need to give a shit about my teams status

I’ve never heard of any criticism of it so it’s just a perception thing from my side.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/05/2023 at 09:54, Milfner said:

Message yourself, paperweight on the spacebar and do something else. 

This but a 9v battery on backspace. Been a while since I had a quiet day but that was my go to. 

52 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Just been made redundant and I’m in a massive panic 😂

Sorry to hear that, you got much of a payout? Not what you need with a kid on the way but there's always more stuff out there

Just now, Davkaus said:

Sorry to hear that, you got much of a payout? Not what you need with a kid on the way but there's always more stuff out there

Nothing major as it was contractual - I’ve spent the last month building a new business as I had feelings something was up - so going to do my best to grow that rapidly 🙏

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just reading zoom are the latest company to try get people back in the office and slowly reduce remote working 

In my role now too they slowly getting us going in more. We are no longer patient facing in fact we don't liaise with patients at all now. Our role can work 100% remote as we work from spreadsheets.

Question is why are employers getting people back in? I mean coming in once or twice a week at most people can leave with but having it like it was pre covid? Why?

People work better at home and it saves companies money. Just do not undertstand it tbh

Edited by Demitri_C

Â