The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

On 05/07/2022 at 15:31, Stevo985 said:

Massively considering packing the rat race in and going into property on my own

I'm attending a course in November to address some questions I have about this. Once that's done, and if I feel confident, I'll be looking to start my first project.

It'll be a side project while I keep working, but if that's successful I'll be looking into doing it fulltime.

Time to back myself

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm attending a course in November to address some questions I have about this. Once that's done, and if I feel confident, I'll be looking to start my first project.

It'll be a side project while I keep working, but if that's successful I'll be looking into doing it fulltime.

Time to back myself

I’d love to do it too.

Its actually quite easy I think and the thing that scares people are the large sums of money. 

You buy, renovate and if the market is favourable sell. If not then rent it out and get tenants to pay down the mortgage for you.

As long as you can convince the bank to lend you money you can scale it up to as many properties as you like.

On 25/09/2022 at 14:06, Rds1983 said:

This is it, I'm curious what they actually do that isn't already freely available? Is it just formatting and adding the latest buzz words? 

Good luck with redundancy (happened to me twice before and not fun) and finding something better in future. 

i had a free one from top CV when i signed up to job alerts with someone like monster and to be fair it was actually pretty good, my formatting was ok (basically use bullet points and you'll be fine) but the biggest criticism was that i listed what i can do rather than listing actual achievements, maybe hard to explain, rather than say i spent 10 years negotiating contracts say over the last 10 years on average i've reduced contract value by 10% that kind of thing 

they also explained how big companies use computers to scan CVs rather than actually read them and give pointers on that 

On 02/09/2022 at 10:42, Spoony said:

That’s really helpful thanks. I’m in WiltSHIRE now and there’s several around here I plan to reach out to.

Typical vile. Mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d love to do it too.

Its actually quite easy I think and the thing that scares people are the large sums of money. 

You buy, renovate and if the market is favourable sell. If not then rent it out and get tenants to pay down the mortgage for you.

As long as you can convince the bank to lend you money you can scale it up to as many properties as you like.

I'm going down the building to rent model personally. 

Money is one of the sticking points. It's apparently very possible to get investors for projects like this, but I don't really know how I would go about that. So that's one of my questions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At the other end here

Had a great career in the mining industry. My first career job started on 9th Jan 1980 in South Africa. Six years there and then a whole bunch here in Canada. Retired in July 2017 but carried on as a casual. Will hang up my computer end of next month. My work was essentially research/process engineering/chemistry. In and out of supervisory roles, depending on the need.

Advice regarding CVs. - it depends. 

Covering letter - clean, neat, half-page covering the essentials

The CV itself is no more than three pages, again, cover the salient points of what you have done and any successes you may have had. If you are just starting your career, it could be short. Depending on the job, extracurriculars can be important. We are relatively remote so adding responsibilities you have taken outside of work could be important. It shows more dimensions of your capabilities.

There was a job we were hiring for looking for a chemist, ideally a PhD, more or less entry level. We got 180 applications, basically, that was screened down to twenty applications based on the clarity of the covering letter and CV, qualifications, and appropriate experience. Took the twenty to my boss. he reduced the number to ten. Ten telephone interviews, followed by four in-person interviews. The process takes months. We offered a job to a lady who had a slightly different set of qualifications. She turned us down. Advertised again. Only 80 applicants this time. Rinse and repeat.

Lastly, for now, proofread! Get several people to proofread. Use the grammar checker in word, or some other program. Especially if you are not applying in your native language. I have seen a person spell their own name three different ways in their application.

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is happening. Already found some sites and will start making offers in January. 

Plan now is to be out of my 9 to 5 by the end of 2024

Would you be looking to carry out the renovation works yourself? 

14 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Would you be looking to carry out the renovation works yourself? 

No renovation. I’ll be building from scratch. But no I won’t be doing anything myself. I’ll hire a building company to build from drawings and project manage

Edited by Stevo985

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No renovation. I’ll be building from scratch. But no I won’t be doing anything myself. I’ll hire a building company to build from drawings and project manage

Self build basis, are you planning to live in the house ? 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This is happening. Already found some sites and will start making offers in January. 

Plan now is to be out of my 9 to 5 by the end of 2024

Fair play to you and good luck. 

I've got a lot of respect for people who take a chance and back themselves. I'm too cautious to do anything like that. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What did you do previously?

As someone who works in construction management I think you're a mad man... But good luck 😉

My advice - be contractual, there's a huge stigma over it in the industry but the industry should see being contractual as a measurement of competency, instead they push for the opposite

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Best of luck Stevo, I do worry a bit about the economic environment for this. But fortune favours the brave.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, tinker said:

Self build basis, are you planning to live in the house ? 

Nope. Plan will be to build 4-8 houses and rent them out. Backup plan will be to sell them off if I can’t get a commercial mortgage for them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Best of luck Stevo, I do worry a bit about the economic environment for this. But fortune favours the brave.

Economic environment should favour the rental market which is what I’m going for. Market will make it harder to get finance but I have several exit strategies if that’s the case

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What did you do previously?

As someone who works in construction management I think you're a mad man... But good luck 😉

My advice - be contractual, there's a huge stigma over it in the industry but the industry should see being contractual as a measurement of competency, instead they push for the opposite

I’m currently in procurement and used to be in finance

• Like 1

Â