The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

So, I mentioned in another thread I was asked to be acting headmaster for a day a couple of weeks ago. Well, I reprised the role for two days this week, and I’m almost ashamed to admit it’s given me a taste for leadership and elevated authority. I’m careful not to use the word power, but I’ve enjoyed being in a position where I can reach more students, more of the staff, and make their day a little bit better by just having a chat, helping out with whatever, listening to them, crack some jokes, take an interest in what they’re doing. I made an effort to be as visible and accessible as possible, obviously made easier by not having to do any of the tedious admin work a permanent headmaster has to do, and I just loved the appreciation I was met with from both staff and students when «the headmaster» was visiting their classroom, and felt I made the whole school just a little bit more cheerful for a day or two. I’d like to do more of that.

However, I would miss the classroom and my lessons too much, and I’d absolutely hate all of the admin work. It would be more work and less time off, but a bit more money and influence. I do in all honesty feel I’m too talented for my current wage bracket and status, and I am confident I’d be very well liked and respected should I choose to go down that path in the future. 

As soon as you elevate yourself everyone thinks you're a dick.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, El Zen said:

So, I mentioned in another thread I was asked to be acting headmaster for a day a couple of weeks ago. Well, I reprised the role for two days this week, and I’m almost ashamed to admit it’s given me a taste for leadership and elevated authority. I’m careful not to use the word power, but I’ve enjoyed being in a position where I can reach more students, more of the staff, and make their day a little bit better by just having a chat, helping out with whatever, listening to them, crack some jokes, take an interest in what they’re doing. I made an effort to be as visible and accessible as possible, obviously made easier by not having to do any of the tedious admin work a permanent headmaster has to do, and I just loved the appreciation I was met with from both staff and students when «the headmaster» was visiting their classroom, and felt I made the whole school just a little bit more cheerful for a day or two. I’d like to do more of that.

However, I would miss the classroom and my lessons too much, and I’d absolutely hate all of the admin work. It would be more work and less time off, but a bit more money and influence. I do in all honesty feel I’m too talented for my current wage bracket and status, and I am confident I’d be very well liked and respected should I choose to go down that path in the future. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47km62bjksa6my1aun3j

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I recently applied for a job and was offered the role, however the salary was £5k under the wage I said I wanted (still within the advertised salary band) from the start. They said they couldn't match this (why not tell me from the start and why have it included in the salary band), I then asked if there was any room for negotiation hoping to add a little more back on and instead of negotiating or saying they can't increase all they've pulled the offer completely. 

Edited by Rds1983

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

I recently applied for a job and was offered the role, however the salary was £5k under the wage I said I wanted (still within the advertised salary band) from the start. They said they couldn't match this (why not tell me from the start and why have it included in the salary band), I then asked if there was any room for negotiation hoping to add a little more back on and instead of negotiating or saying they can't increase all they've pulled the offer completely. 

Bullet dodged, they sound like cowboys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

2% pay-rise.

Bit disappointed in that. After a storming year personally, and biggest profits in the company in years.

I'm a realist, I wasn't expecting the moon on a stick, but was hoping for around 4%-5%

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have any experience with starting their own business and doing freelance whilst also having a full time permanent contract?

I hadn't really considered it but what I do is quite niche and I'm recently getting a LOT of offers on LinkedIn for freelance work.

19 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Does anybody have any experience with starting their own business and doing freelance whilst also having a full time permanent contract?

I hadn't really considered it but what I do is quite niche and I'm recently getting a LOT of offers on LinkedIn for freelance work.

Just make sure you're not leaving yourself open to accusations of pinching clients or doing your own work on your current employer's time. If you can afford to make a clean break, do it. It can be stressful, but working for yourself can be one of the most rewarding and life-changing things you do.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Risso said:

Just make sure you're not leaving yourself open to accusations of pinching clients or doing your own work on your current employer's time. If you can afford to make a clean break, do it. It can be stressful, but working for yourself can be one of the most rewarding and life-changing things you do.

I work right now in internal IT for a construction materials company, managing a specific application and the freelance would be consulting regarding that application. 

So I think I’d be ok. 

One of my team has been asking for a promotion since he was 3 months into the job, he is good at his job and rated outstanding in his review, but he is currently having a meltdown due to the company rule of being in a role 2 years before a Promotion is considered. He is going bat shit on teams to me currently, threatening to leave. Not sure if its the right time to tell him we have 50 people currently on the bench, go knock yourself out if you want to leave. I wouldnt say that as its the wrong thing to do, but I have already raged at the company for this rule and that we should be doing all we can to retain top performers, as it goes, he will walk as a result of this and the company will be scratching their head why.

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

One of my team has been asking for a promotion since he was 3 months into the job, he is good at his job and rated outstanding in his review, but he is currently having a meltdown due to the company rule of being in a role 2 years before a Promotion is considered. He is going bat shit on teams to me currently, threatening to leave. Not sure if its the right time to tell him we have 50 people currently on the bench, go knock yourself out if you want to leave. I wouldnt say that as its the wrong thing to do, but I have already raged at the company for this rule and that we should be doing all we can to retain top performers, as it goes, he will walk as a result of this and the company will be scratching their head why.

It's good that he is ambitious and capable, but he needs to cool his jets a little bit. 3 months into a role is absolutely no time and 2 years isn't that unreasonable. We have it at our place. I imagine most big organisations do. 

• Like 2

Just now, Xela said:

It's good that he is ambitious and capable, but he needs to cool his jets a little bit. 3 months into a role is absolutely no time and 2 years isn't that unreasonable. We have it at our place. I imagine most big organisations do. 

Yes and that’s what I said to him when he first raised it. I hadn’t even had his probation meeting with him at that point. 

I've never worked anywhere with such a hard and fast rule, and I wouldn't knowingly do so, as you say, seems like a stupid rule that could cost you talent.

Expecting a promotion within the first few months seems a bit daft when you've just agreed to a role and a salary, but I've certainly taken jobs happy with the grade and pay, then looked around and thought "seriously, these are the clowns ahead of me in the pecking order?". If he's doing a job on par or above more senior colleagues, I can understand the frustration, and I wouldn't see out two years.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

Just now, Davkaus said:

I've never worked anywhere with such a hard and fast rule, and I wouldn't knowingly do so, as you say, seems like a stupid rule that could cost you talent.

Expecting a promotion within the first few months is a bit daft when you've just agreed to a role and a salary, but I've certainly taken jobs happy with the grade and pay, then looked around and thought "seriously, these are the clowns ahead of me in the pecking order?". If he's doing a job on par or above more senior colleagues, I can understand the frustration, and I wouldn't see out two years.

He isn’t to be honest, he is doing a good job of the job he is paid to do. He is measured outstanding at that job but meets very little criteria for the next position up. Not a leader, not massively innovative, but in his role he performs very well. He realistically should be an SDET which is a sideways move but would open up a lot to him. That’s a conversation as it will be restarting the clock so to speak. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Measured outstanding after 3 months seems slightly absurd to me, to be honest (appreciate different ranking systems probably exist all over the shop, mind).

No it was after a year, annual review evidenced by the client and peers. 3 months in, a month of that on the bench, he asked for a promotion. 

We had a guy join our team before Christmas (I mentioned him in here), an absolute nightmare. Everything was push, push, push. Talked about how ambitious he was all the time. Annoyed everyone. When he left after 6 months we all celebrated.

The problem I have is that I’ll get paid more and have better job security where I am, rather than taking the next rung up in management. I don’t mind the management job and could do it with my eyes closed but it just makes no sense. Every 4/5 years the business decides it has too many managers and makes them all beg (interview) to keep their jobs and some are ushered out. Just not worth it for an initial pay rise, then lower pay rises than everyone else going forward.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Maybe I'm the word removed for being quiet and dependable! I just can't bring myself to be like them. I want to retain some dignity! 

I appreciate the above is a broad generalisation and not everyone is like that. 

Huh ! You weren't exactly quiet that time in sainsbury car park ! 😠

• Haha 1

Just now, mottaloo said:

Huh ! You weren't exactly quiet that time in sainsbury car park ! 😠

A man, even a quiet man, has his limits. 

• Haha 1

Â