The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I've been in my firm twenty years and i've seen a change in the attitude of a lot of new starters. It used to be, you come in, diligently learn, keep out of trouble and graft and you'd earn your stripes that way. Now, a lot come in, all guns blazing, think they know best, are no better than average and then want a promotion or their next role. They've spent far too long watching the cringeworthy turdsniffers on The Apprentice. You can tell straight away if someone is going to be a success in my role. They can talk the talk in the interview but can't deliver. 

Maybe its a case of don't hate the player, hate the game, as bouncing from role to role and bigging yourself up is what seems to get people noticed and promoted now. Maybe I'm the word removed for being quiet and dependable! I just can't bring myself to be like them. I want to retain some dignity! 

I appreciate the above is a broad generalisation and not everyone is like that. 

Generally I feel the same but wonder how myself and my contemporaries were viewed by established/older colleagues when we first joined. 

Longevity in roles does definitely seem to be a dying trait though. A recruiter for a challenger bank told me recently that they view anyone who hasn't changed roles within 2 years as lacking ambition or drive and therefore not worth hiring.

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I've been in my firm twenty years and i've seen a change in the attitude of a lot of new starters. It used to be, you come in, diligently learn, keep out of trouble and graft and you'd earn your stripes that way. Now, a lot come in, all guns blazing, think they know best, are no better than average and then want a promotion or their next role. They've spent far too long watching the cringeworthy turdsniffers on The Apprentice. You can tell straight away if someone is going to be a success in my role. They can talk the talk in the interview but can't deliver. 

Maybe its a case of don't hate the player, hate the game, as bouncing from role to role and bigging yourself up is what seems to get people noticed and promoted now. Maybe I'm the word removed for being quiet and dependable! I just can't bring myself to be like them. I want to retain some dignity! 

I appreciate the above is a broad generalisation and not everyone is like that. 

It's not about job satisfaction either now chap, it's about earning as much money as you can to buy nice things.

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Generally I feel the same but wonder how myself and my contemporaries were viewed by established/older colleagues when we first joined. 

Longevity in roles does definitely seem to be a dying trait though. A recruiter for a challenger bank told me recently that they view anyone who hasn't changed roles within 2 years as lacking ambition or drive and therefore not worth hiring.

Its an interesting view but recruiters surely earn their money from people moving, so having a workforce that jumps around is beneficial for them?

My view of someone with a different job/employer every 2 years is of someone who can't hack it, or keeps getting found out! That applies to my sector though and I appreciate other areas like IT etc its a different ball game. 

Funny how views differ :) 

At my age, I don't really have any lofty ambitions anymore. I enjoy my job, and I work hard, but the moment I can afford to give it up and retire, I will. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's not about job satisfaction either now chap, it's about earning as much money as you can to buy nice things.

Got to pay for the leased Audi and hot-tub somehow! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its an interesting view but recruiters surely earn their money from people moving, so having a workforce that jumps around is beneficial for them?

My view of someone with a different job/employer every 2 years is of someone who can't hack it, or keeps getting found out! That applies to my sector though and I appreciate other areas like IT etc its a different ball game. 

At my age, I don't really have any lofty ambitions anymore. I enjoy my job, and I work hard, but the moment I can afford to give it up and retire, I will. 

Was an internal recruiter (or HR/Hiring rep) and not an external so the pressures to get people moving frequently would be less.

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Was an internal recruiter (or HR/Hiring rep) and not an external so the pressures to get people moving frequently would be less.

Shows how out of touch I am :) 

Bit of a random one but anyone ever worked in PR?

Been in recruitment for last few years which is o.k but always been interested in journalism/media so thought I'd get a foot in the door with "the dark side" and annoy journos that way.😁

Anyway had a 15 minute call with people planning director yesterday which went well but apparently it's a six month wait for an interview?! This is only for insight week type programme rather than actual job. Is this normal?!

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Or even worse ... if they are good you'll train them and they will be gone in two years.

On 08/03/2023 at 20:15, Seat68 said:

He isn’t to be honest, he is doing a good job of the job he is paid to do. He is measured outstanding at that job but meets very little criteria for the next position up. Not a leader, not massively innovative, but in his role he performs very well. He realistically should be an SDET which is a sideways move but would open up a lot to him. That’s a conversation as it will be restarting the clock so to speak. 

That's not ambitious, it's deluded. I'd honestly be looking to get rid of him if he hasn't responded to your discussions already

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's not ambitious, it's deluded. I'd honestly be looking to get rid of him if he hasn't responded to your discussions already

He is currently sulking. I like sulking, he doesnt talk to me which I could really do with. Tomorrow he will start again. I will dump it on HR soon and he can guide his questions to them.

Just now, Seat68 said:

He is currently sulking. I like sulking, he doesnt talk to me which I could really do with. Tomorrow he will start again. I will dump it on HR soon and he can guide his questions to them.

I'd have no problem with him asking for a promotion after 3 months, even thought it's cheeky. And I'd definitely have no problem with him asking after a year, especially if it was during an appraisal. That's what they're for.

I'm a big believer that if you want something at work then tell people about it and they'll help you work towards it. So no problem with him voicing what he wants.

But if you've explained why he can't have a promotion yet, particularly if there's a policy in place against that (not that I really agree with that either), and he's still demanding it, then that's out of order. Like I said I'd genuinely be looking to move him on. People like that are toxic

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd have no problem with him asking for a promotion after 3 months, even thought it's cheeky. And I'd definitely have no problem with him asking after a year, especially if it was during an appraisal. That's what they're for.

I'm a big believer that if you want something at work then tell people about it and they'll help you work towards it. So no problem with him voicing what he wants.

But if you've explained why he can't have a promotion yet, particularly if there's a policy in place against that (not that I really agree with that either), and he's still demanding it, then that's out of order. Like I said I'd genuinely be looking to move him on. People like that are toxic

Agreed, its not my policy and I would probably be looking to do something for him, 3 months in was taking the piss and I had to rephrase about 5 times "are you taking the piss".

• Haha 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

Agreed, its not my policy and I would probably be looking to do something for him, 3 months in was taking the piss and I had to rephrase about 5 times "are you taking the piss".

On the plus side, somebody like that will feel so hard done by by not getting a promotion that they'll probably leave soon anyway

On 22/11/2022 at 19:29, Stevo985 said:

This is happening. Already found some sites and will start making offers in January. 

Plan now is to be out of my 9 to 5 by the end of 2024

Update on this, company is formed, I'm officially a company director.
Made a few offers but nothing accepted yet.

Illness and personal issues in February put a halt to things temporarily but back on it now. Looking to have my first project started by the end of Q2, which will hopefully mean I can look at completing it by end of 2024 and then **** work off for good

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

On the plus side, somebody like that will feel so hard done by by not getting a promotion that they'll probably leave soon anyway

I cant guarantee it to his face as it may fall foul but he want the promotion for money, it comes down to money, he aint getting a promotion, which he sulking over, but he is getting a pay rise, which I cant tell him because it isnt finalised. I kind of now want him to leave.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â