The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just reading zoom are the latest company to try get people back in the office and slowly reduce remote working 

In my role now too they slowly getting us going in more. We are no longer patient facing in fact we don't liaise with patients at all now. Our role can work 100% remote as we work from spreadsheets.

Question is why are employers getting people back in? I mean coming in once or twice a week at most people can leave with but having it like it was pre covid? Why?

People work better at home and it saves companies money. Just do not undertstand it tbh

The few reasons im aware, not everyone is more productive at home. Some of the measures I've seen suggest a large number of call centre workers and ops workers aren't as productive. It's harder to give them bespoke training and support. 

People collaborate better face to face. 

But mainly companies have big office spaces on long leases and they like to see them full. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

The few reasons im aware, not everyone is more productive at home. Some of the measures I've seen suggest a large number of call centre workers and ops workers aren't as productive. It's harder to give them bespoke training and support. 

People collaborate better face to face. 

But mainly companies have big office spaces on long leases and they like to see them full. 

Yeah i think this last paragraph is the main the reason.

I mean with training sessions in my current role we either have them on teams, or we go in once a month for it.

I mean i have to be honest even if i support woeming from home, dealing with virgin media british gas etc when they woek remote the customer service was much worse. They would be less helpful rude or if they couldnt deal with the call hang up on you. So i do understand why call centres would have to go in.

I think flexible working will not exist for big companies in next few years. Only places you can do it will be smaller companies who save money on the office space.

This is why when i saw jobs up north that were fully remote years ago, better pay i opted not to go for as id be screwed if i had to go in.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i think this last paragraph is the main the reason.

I mean with training sessions in my current role we either have them on teams, or we go in once a month for it.

I mean i have to be honest even if i support woeming from home, dealing with virgin media british gas etc when they woek remote the customer service was much worse. They would be less helpful rude or if they couldnt deal with the call hang up on you. So i do understand why call centres would have to go in.

I think flexible working will not exist for big companies in next few years. Only places you can do it will be smaller companies who save money on the office space.

This is why when i saw jobs up north that were fully remote years ago, better pay i opted not to go for as id be screwed if i had to go in.

I see lots of similar situations in my organisation, particularly around London. People have relocated and are nervous about returning to the office due to the commute, my nearest is Birmingham City centre but I still don't really want to be heading in every day. 

28 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I see lots of similar situations in my organisation, particularly around London. People have relocated and are nervous about returning to the office due to the commute, my nearest is Birmingham City centre but I still don't really want to be heading in every day. 

I have a guy in my team who moved to Peterborough. He hasnt attended the last 5 training days and the management are really starting to get on his back now. Probably not the best decision of his as you can never predict what management would do

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I have a guy in my team who moved to Peterborough. He hasnt attended the last 5 training days and the management are really starting to get on his back now. Probably not the best decision of his as you can never predict what management would do

The other thing i notice a lot more at the moment, its really hard to be productive at home during the school holidays. Im lucky enough to have an office but the kids are still running in and out, you get distracted by the noise and its very hard to stay focus. I suspect a lot of people have taken to opportunity to save money on child care which does come at the detriment of productivity.

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

The other thing i notice a lot more at the moment, its really hard to be productive at home during the school holidays. Im lucky enough to have an office but the kids are still running in and out, you get distracted by the noise and its very hard to stay focus. I suspect a lot of people have taken to opportunity to save money on child care which does come at the detriment of productivity.

My kids are old enough that they know not to make to much noise so it’s fine.

I have a colleague who has a newborn and another about 2 years old, when he comes off mute it sounds like he’s sat in the middle of a nursery school. It’s regularly absolute chaos in the background. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Genie said:

My kids are old enough that they know not to make to much noise so it’s fine.

I have a colleague who has a newborn and another about 2 years old, when he comes off mute it sounds like he’s sat in the middle of a nursery school. It’s regularly absolute chaos in the background. 

dont miss those days, a lot of my work is with India and they are largely back in offices now, during covid you would see some working conditions that really made me question how people get anything done.

My general position is that its more productive for people to be in an office when working, my personal position is that i dont want to start commuting 2 hours a day again. 

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Thata actually a really good point. I dont have kids myself but id imagine i would have to go in office if i had them.

The same guy from Peterborough has 4 kids and 2 of them are young and there was a teams meeting once last half termband you could hear him shouting at his kids in nigerian as he forgot to mute his mic. Awks 😂

I work at a desk downstairs, some of the work I do can be maths based, I have worked with mortgage and insurance companies and so there has been an element where I need to understand their products. No one in this house gives a fig if I am trying to focus on work, no one. Very irritating and I am not one for being able to hide my irritation. I miss the office, without question and part of me hopes that my next client asks for at least a percentage of office attendance. Then I think about the fact that I can start each day at 7, I am not reliant on an office being open, I am able to assist with the childcare, if I have appointments I havent got to book a day off for them. They all add up. 

Edited by Seat68

Me and my wife both work from home and were very fortunate that we both have separate office spaces so it’s professional and quiet.

My wife has a colleague who sits on her sofa in the living room with the laptop on her lap. She has a spare room and her work kitted it out with a desk, chair and monitors but she makes no secret of the fact she “works” from the sofa with the TV on. It’s people like that which will ruin it for everyone.

• Like 2

I work in a leadership role within banking (one for the tory board) so i am quite torn between thinking about whats best for our organisation and whats best for me.

Its not also lost on me that a couple of us are tapping away on VT during the working day 😁

4 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I work in a leadership role within banking (one for the tory board) so i am quite torn between thinking about whats best for our organisation and whats best for me.

Its not also lost on me that a couple of us are tapping away on VT during the working day 😁

In my defence (today only) I am on annual leave :D 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

a couple seems like a HIGHLY signficant understatement 😛:D 

• Haha 1

We got an email last week saying that "leaders" (which includes me) will be in the office 5 days a week from September.

Luckily it was later clarified that it was meant for US staff only.

I had no hesitation in telling my boss if that was enforced in our office my notice would be in the same day

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

We got an email last week saying that "leaders" (which includes me) will be in the office 5 days a week from September.

Luckily it was later clarified that it was meant for US staff only.

I had no hesitation in telling my boss if that was enforced in our office my notice would be in the same day

What reasons did they give? And do you think that will be implemented on uk staff too?

Edited by Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What reasons did they give?

To increase productivity. Horse shit basically!

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And do you think that will be implemented on uk staff too?

I've spoken to HR about it before and they're adamant we won't ever go back to full time. We just wouldn't be a competitive employer anymore. People would leave (I genuinely would)
I think some of the senior leaders want us back full time (my director definitely does but knows it won't happen) but they know it's not workable

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To increase productivity. Horse shit basically!

I've spoken to HR about it before and they're adamant we won't ever go back to full time. We just wouldn't be a competitive employer anymore. People would leave (I genuinely would)
I think some of the senior leaders want us back full time (my director definitely does but knows it won't happen) but they know it's not workable

Yeah the usual shit then. I got the same from my work place but now they **** around with our hours and slowly bringing us in more so im hoping your company is abit more honest than mone. What do you do stevo?

Your situation is identical to mine

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah the usual shit then. I got the same from my work place but now they **** around with our hours and slowly bringing us in more so im hoping your company is abit more honest than mone. What do you do stevo?

Your situation is identical to mine

I work in procurement for an aerospace manufacturer

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

My general position is that its more productive for people to be in an office when working, my personal position is that i dont want to start commuting 2 hours a day again. 

For some working in an office may be more productive but I have found it to be the opposite and have found myself to be more productive working from home.

I have older children (they were 14 and 22 at start of covid/when started working from home) so don't have the distraction I can imagine could come with younger children around the house. The positive I have found though is that I don't get other people in the office wandering over to my desk disturbing me with a work related issue or wanting to chat about last nights footie. I also don't now have to be distracted by someone waffling on about last nights Corrie, what they had for tea or what they'll be having for lunch. I'm guessing I am saving 1-2 hours a day not being distracted by none work conversations or loosing my train of thought because some one walking past my desk decided to ask me about something.

I think if your conscientious you'll be working just as hard from home, if not harder, than you were when you worked in the office. If when you were in the office you spent most of your time looking busy but not being very productive it just means by working from home you don't have to pretend to look busy anymore. 

• Like 1

Definitely more productive at home. Definitely happier.

As for the child thing. Our then 9 month old will be going to nursery end of the year. We both work from home and astounded by the people that say you can just pop a baby in a bouncer if you both work from home and manage it.

Nope. Impossible. Not going to happen

Â